PDA

View Full Version : Sailonline - Round the World 2014

Pages : [1] 2

Wodrick
29th Dec 2013, 13:19
If I may, a new thread for a new race. I look forward to the coming months.

beaufort1
29th Dec 2013, 13:52
Count me in. Although after the first week I'm away so could be interesting.

Big Hammer
29th Dec 2013, 17:16
Hopefully I will be there, may even start this one on time!

Wodrick
29th Dec 2013, 17:22
Hi BH I hope you do, are you aware you can preset your start so you don't have to be there ?

Big Hammer
29th Dec 2013, 17:23
Hi Wodrick, yes was aware of that but sods law came into play last time! Missed the start by 12 hours I think.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
29th Dec 2013, 17:32
BlackDragon is in.

SMT Member
29th Dec 2013, 19:09
VikingAhoy is ready for another round.

Blink182
29th Dec 2013, 19:34
I'm in !

Racing name is Golfsierrakilo :)

Wodrick
31st Dec 2013, 08:09
welcome GSK

Lon More
31st Dec 2013, 08:34
I'll give it another go

Terry Dactil
31st Dec 2013, 11:09
Yes. I'll be there too.

India Four Two
31st Dec 2013, 11:29
Miss_Saigon will be there.

steve757
31st Dec 2013, 14:51
Having not embarrassed myself in the SYD-HOB race, I will give it a go.

brockenspectre
31st Dec 2013, 17:33
and heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's our boatlist!!! so far anyway...

Wodrick - thank you for starting the thread!! T'was a good reminder for me :-)

steve757 - what is your SOL boatname please?

As always I will be manually changing your boatname within the race which will have no effect whatsoever on your login credentials ... this means that you can very easily create a second boatlist by looking for boats beginning with PRU (plus me of course!)... in fact, before all the legs are raced you may see me with a PRU_ prefix as, finally, the new organisation is beginning to happen and I might actually be able to stop doing the front-of-house stuff pretty much single-handed!! :E :E that's the cunning plan anyway!

OK - here's our list so far!

PPRuNe Name ................ SOL Boatname

beaufort ............................ beaufort1
Big Hammer ........................ Big Hammer
Blink182 ............................ golfsierrakilo
brockenspectres ................. RainbowChaser
Fox3WheresMyBanana ......... BlackDragon
India Four Two .................. Miss_Saigon
John Hill ........................... KiwiFlounder
LonMore ........................... LonMore
LowFlier ........................... 2DFlier
pilotjack .......................... ionian
reflex ............................... reflex
SMT Member ..................... VikingAhoy
steve757 .......................... truckie
Terry Dactil ...................... Terry_Dactil
Wodrick ............................ lyric

Any more for any more?

There will be a grid created showing results from each leg which will be averaged on-the-run as each leg completes, so we get an overall result for the flotilla - we've done this in the past and its worked well!!

:ok:

Wodrick
31st Dec 2013, 17:48
De nada .................

Wodrick
1st Jan 2014, 08:27
http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb385/lyric030250/Steinlager2_zps252007f4.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/lyric030250/media/Steinlager2_zps252007f4.jpg.html)

India Four Two
1st Jan 2014, 08:57
*** = boat not yet registered in raceShe is now! :ok:

Nice picture, Wodrick. I've never sailed a ketch before. ;)

Reflex
1st Jan 2014, 10:50
Reflex has just registered - please count me in.

steve757
1st Jan 2014, 14:04
boat name is Truckie

Low Flier
1st Jan 2014, 18:03
2DFlier is in.

beaufort1
2nd Jan 2014, 07:21
Going to be an interesting thrash across the Channel. Don't forget to wave as you pass by my house on the North coast of Alderney. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif (for those that don't know where it is, it's the most Northern of the Channel Islands SSW of the start line other side of the Channel). http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

John Hill
2nd Jan 2014, 07:38
KiwiFlounder is registered, obviously I have not been paying attention as it seems there is still 10 hours or so till the start but a whole bunch of boats are already on the way.:bored:

I have set a course and I hope she starts on her own when the gun fires, I am also hoping she does not run onto the Normandy beaches before I have my breakfast..:eek:

Wodrick
2nd Jan 2014, 07:46
John, if you set a course and edit the time to within 5 minutes of the start time then she will start on the gun !
I hope I am not associating granny and eggs.

John Hill
2nd Jan 2014, 07:50
Granny and eggs, certainly not, I am remiss in not reading any of the info. I see the fleet is towed back for the start and I have set a course with 'start' in the delay for box.

Wodrick
2nd Jan 2014, 08:01
John, I set my desired course and then go to the delayed course box (opened with the clock symbol) refresh then highlight the desired command and edit it to the desired date/time.
This seems to work.
I have been set for the start for two days and checking the forecast still seems more or less valid.

John Hill
2nd Jan 2014, 08:39
Good luck, smooth sailing and please dont leave me too far behind!

Start time is 8 am local so I should be clear of my breakfast by then.

Wodrick
2nd Jan 2014, 17:01
14 in the flotilla is the most I have seen, champion :D

Off in an hour or so, good luck everybody :ok:

beaufort1
2nd Jan 2014, 17:18
14? I'm missing somebody. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/confused.gif

Fair winds all and good luck.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

pilotjack
2nd Jan 2014, 17:25
'Ionian' is on the start line

India Four Two
2nd Jan 2014, 17:33
Good luck everyone.

Here's the procedure for the start:

1.4. Starting procedure

All boats are towed back to the starting line 1 hour before race start. From 1 hour before the start, until the start, the boats are held at the starting line. A command executed during this period will be the initial command for the boat at the start. So prior to one hour before start, you can set a delayed command for sometime within that hour and it will be your starting course. Of course, that's redundant advice now, since the gun goes off in 26 mins!

Well done Terry Dactil for finishing 14th in the Hobart-Sydney.

beaufort1,
Sorry, I won't be able to wave - I'm planning via Anvil Point and Bolt Head. ;)

I have 11 PRUs on my list plus KiwiFlounder, Ionian and RainbowChaser. Anyone else?

Wodrick
2nd Jan 2014, 17:48
14? I'm missing somebody
15 now with "Ionian"

a couple haven't been granted PRU status yet,
and in my pru fleet I always include Brockie

beaufort1
2nd Jan 2014, 17:50
Yes, I included Brockie and still make it one less than you. Hopefully, Brockie will do a full list of runners and riders for us. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

India Four Two I think I'll be heading that way. I've just been listening to the local forecasts for overnight, fairly unpleasant with sev. gale F9 and with spring tides.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jan 2014, 17:51
did you note kiwiflounder (John Hill)?
post #22

beaufort1
2nd Jan 2014, 17:52
Yep, got him.

India Four Two
2nd Jan 2014, 17:58
While waiting for the gun (and then going to bed - it's 0200 local), I would like to recommend http://www.oceanweather.com (Current Marine Data) for a colourful look at the wave heights we will be plowing through, plus surface progs.

John Hill
2nd Jan 2014, 18:01
Wheee, that 12 knot jolt spilt my gin!:p

India Four Two
2nd Jan 2014, 18:04
Gin for breakfast, John?

Wodrick
2nd Jan 2014, 18:24
Ionian..........

Low Flier
2nd Jan 2014, 18:28
http://www.boatbooks.co.nz/codeflags/H.gif

2DFlier eight minutes late in departure, owing to late arrival of the pilot in the cockpit.:{

Languishing at 275th place, out of 350 starters when I eventually started.

Never mind. Eight minutes is nothing when averaged out over more than six thousand track miles.

Low Flier
2nd Jan 2014, 22:30
Checking the 22:30z wx before turning in, as you do, I had a wee keek at the Beeb forecast as we're still in their manor.

Here's what they say:

Major incident declared over South West storm threat

A major incident has been declared as waves of more than 30ft (10m) are predicted to hit the coasts of Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly on Friday morning.

Strong winds and high tides have also led to several severe flood warnings being issued by the Environment Agency, indicating a possible danger to life.

Devon and Cornwall Police said additional officers were on duty.

Firefighters, who were due to strike, may call off their action.

The Fire Brigades' Union (FBU) said discussions were taking place and it was monitoring the Environment Agency's information about the threat of flooding.

Recall to duty
FBU members were due to take industrial action between 06:30 and 08:30 GMT as part of their ongoing dispute with managers over pension changes.

There is an agreement that striking firefighters can be recalled to duty, on a voluntary basis, in the event of a major incident that includes a serious risk to public safety.

An emergency management centre will open in Truro, Cornwall, at midnight.

Two people died earlier this week - a woman in north Devon and a man in Cornwall - after they were swept out to sea in stormy conditions.

The Environment Agency said people should protect themselves and their belongings, but should not put themselves in danger.

"The one piece of advice, given the fatalities we've had recently, I'd give is don't get close to the coast," area manager Alan Burrows told BBC News.

"Keep away and look from a distance. We've had wave watchers getting too close and it's really dangerous."

In Cornwall, Falmouth Coastguard said a man, who is believed to have been watching the surf, managed to escape from his car shortly before it was washed into the sea at East Portholland, near Portscatho. He was not injured.

Rest centres will also be set up across the region to accommodate people who are flooded or have to leave their homes.

Major incidents have been declared by Devon and Cornwall Police and the Isles of Scilly Council.

Supt Chris Singer said it was potentially a situation where resources could become overwhelmed.

"We all need to work together to make sure we keep the residents of Devon, Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly safe," he said.

In the Isles of Scilly, the council said its staff would be on call to respond to any emergencies and a rest centre would be set up for people needing shelter.

It said in order to minimise the effects of the weather, all drains had been cleared and extra sandbags were ready to be deployed if required.

The latest forecast from the Met Office is predicting up to 10mm (0.5in) of rainfall could hit the region in the early hours.

High spring tides and winds of up to 65mph are also forecast, resulting in high waves.

Cornwall Council said waves could "over-top" exposed coastal locations and promenades and there could be possible flooding to properties and low-lying land.

Bollocks to 'em. I want to know if its going to "over-top" the coaming of my ketch's cockpit.

My current (no pun intended) plan is to go hell for leather to get into the 40kt isotach as directly as possible and use the high energy as best I can to put on a spurt of speed to make up for my piss-poor start in the race. So long as those bastard Cornish wreckers leave me alone, I shall skirt the Southern coast of Cornwall and that other county (the one with the cows) and wave serenely la Queen Mother.

Just got time to listen to the midnight BBC shipping forecast on Radio 4 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/coast_and_sea/shipping_forecast) before hitting the bunk and doing a deckhead survey:

The Shipping Forecast - YouTube

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Jan 2014, 23:20
We will shortly be passing the River Dart.

If you drop 50.390129,-3.582072 into Google Maps, you will see my boat, a 30 foot cat that I crossed the Atlantic in. The image is from mid-2008 or earlier, as that's when I set sail. The boat was sold in the US to a guy who lived in Texas.

John Hill
3rd Jan 2014, 02:52
I am 5 miles behind the leader with about 240 boats in front of me!:eek:

Low Flier
3rd Jan 2014, 06:08
12 hours ago, I had 249 boats ahead of me.
Now I've got 248 boats ahead of me.

If that's Progress, I'm making progress.

Big Hammer
3rd Jan 2014, 10:12
12 hours ago I was 19th, over night I seem to have rocketed back to 312th! :\

beaufort1
3rd Jan 2014, 11:39
After retiring to my bunk and leaving her on autopilot overnight she clawed us up to 14th this morning, since I've been meddling we've slipped back down to 212th. :rolleyes:

brockenspectre
3rd Jan 2014, 13:15
In the first hour or so I was 1st... overnight I fell back to 293rd or so and now I am 248th.

As the fleet numbers are slowly increasing I am not as close to the back as I once was :ok:

brockenspectre
3rd Jan 2014, 13:23
OK folks... is this everyone racing?

brockenspectres ................. RainbowChaser
India Four Two ................... Miss_Saigon
John Hill ............................ KiwiFlounder
LonMore ............................ LonMore
LowFlier ............................ 2DFlier
pilotjack ............................ ionian

and here we all are:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JChdoloicYI/UsbMgdHRqBI/AAAAAAAACuA/yC0kBxAmTrQ/s800/03jan14.jpg

Its never too late to start... so if there are any other erstwhile PPRuNe Flotilla chums to join in, just make your presence known!! :ok:

Big Hammer
3rd Jan 2014, 13:47
Looks like the same list I have. Picking up a few places now but suspect that will change soon.

beaufort1
3rd Jan 2014, 13:56
Looks good brockie http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
I was missing Terry Dactil.:rolleyes:

Wodrick
3rd Jan 2014, 13:59
I was beginning to doubt my ability to count above ten !:)

Not liking this headwind much, still better than the blue bits to come.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Jan 2014, 14:04
We are about to enter the Raz de Sein off Brittany.

This is what it looks like from a yacht on a nice day

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag156/RickXI/4fd3ab76-5356-4f42-abbc-27679c26d4e5_zpscddf501a.jpg

...and this is what it's like during a winter storm similar to today...

French lighthouses and VERY BIG waves during stormy weather (+ description) - YouTube

SMT Member
3rd Jan 2014, 14:23
Great map Brockie, thanks!

I've decided to go for the Western passage. The winds around the Canaries at around the time I'll be there are very blue. At least according to the very scientific calculations I did, mainly involving flipping a coin.

So it's WNW bound now, then a WSWerly course later on.

I don't actually expect this to work, but I tried the Canaries route last time and it did end in days of doldrums.

beaufort1
3rd Jan 2014, 14:59
I remember the Raz du Seine very well. I took a Nelson 45 through there for a friend and on a very calm day managed to bury her up to the flying bridge in green water. Over falls were very impressive.

John Hill
3rd Jan 2014, 17:29
I am heading into Portugal for a quick bottom scrub as there must be some explanation for boats in the same area on the same course going faster than me!:confused:

It will also be a good opportunity to restock the liquor locker!:)

[later]Errr, maybe not Portugal there is still a lot of France to get past!:uhoh:

Big Hammer
3rd Jan 2014, 19:00
Psssst, John, um, err, the anchor?

Lon More
3rd Jan 2014, 20:00
a quick bottom scrub More info than we needed. Please clean the loofah after use.

John Hill
4th Jan 2014, 02:05
Change of plan, heading now towards Greenland..:ooh:

Big Hammer
4th Jan 2014, 09:26
Maintained position overnight but where is Brockie taking Rainbow Chaser?

brockenspectre
5th Jan 2014, 12:48
Big Hammer - quick answer ... brockie had been fiddling with the possibility of an overnight DC but then became so snoozy that she fell asleep before getting it right.. thus a rather time-consuming and place-losing track ensued grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Black Dragon - I like the comparison pics! I grew up by the sea, although am landlubber rather than mariner, and remember being astonished at how folks who don't know the sea really really don't appreciate just how powerful it can be.

AND

here we all are today:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-qAgRIWOVU0Y/Usleb4elu4I/AAAAAAAACug/eQZyVreybk4/s800/06jan14CHART.png

and here we stand in the rankings:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rDDoNsq6258/Usleed502hI/AAAAAAAACuo/L7uS_VeI_Z4/s800/06jan14RANKS.png

Feel free to critique my amateur attempts at graphics ... aim is to have something relatively easy (for me to make and on-the-eye)!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Jan 2014, 12:52
The graphics are a great addition Brockie - my thanks!

beaufort1
5th Jan 2014, 14:18
Graphics are great Brockie, thanks for doing this it makes it more interesting.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Wodrick
5th Jan 2014, 14:44
Thirded, now if you can just fix the wind ..................

Low Flier
5th Jan 2014, 14:45
+1

Graphics are great Brockie, thanks for doing this it makes it more interesting

The graphics, both of 'em, are well paired because they show the difference between the DTG ranking and the actual geospacial advantage that each unit in the squad currently has.

At present, the tactical and strategic imperative for all of us is to max the Westings while we can so as to avoid getting into those blue puddles of lethargy in a few days time. Ergo, the boats who are best placed competitively are mostly the ones furthest West, almost regardless of their Latitude.

With that perspective, the current rankings in terms of Westings, shown graphically in Brockie's illustration, are:

Viking Ahoy
Miss Saigon
Reflex
Beaufort
Reflex
Truckie
Rainbow Chaser
Golf Sierra Kilo
2DFlier
Big Hammer
Lyric
Lon More

We've all got it all to play for.

Bring it on!
(most especially for us at the losing end of the queue!)

John Hill
5th Jan 2014, 17:33
Kiwi Flounder is about 15.6 degrees west and just missing out on Low Flier's list.:p

Seem to be off Brockie's radar?

Must resist temptation to turn left!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Jan 2014, 17:41
..and BlackDragon appears to be too far south to appear on the list...

...but isn't that where we're going? ;)

Terry Dactil
6th Jan 2014, 02:16
Ho-ray! I am rescued and back onboard.
My boat has been unmanned for the past 18 hours.

Optus, the ISP here in Oz, was not able to connect to a lot of international sites, this and SOL being some of them.
I was a bit slow, but eventually worked out that as I could ping and tracert to these sites it probably had something to with Optus' DNS as that was the bit in the middle. Sure enough, dumping Optus and using the free Google DNS has fixed the problem.

I only lost about 50 places, but as they say, worse things can happen at sea!

beaufort1
6th Jan 2014, 08:26
Hm, I would like to be further West.

I've limited access to the internet from Thursday onwards for ten days as I'm travelling. Watch my position shoot up as the auto-pilot takes charge. :rolleyes:

Wodrick
6th Jan 2014, 09:26
I wanted to get West of the Azores before turning Southish but with the 30Kt + headwinds that was not to be, just trying to be West of the Canaries now.

I seem to remember that in the Volvo half the fleet got stuck between The Islands and Africa for days, must avoid that.

John Hill
6th Jan 2014, 17:43
I might just call into Sydney, Nova Scotia!

SMT Member
7th Jan 2014, 14:54
Sitrep.

It's midday in the mid-Atlantic, roughly 600NM west of Vigo, and it's cold and wet. Hardly surprising for an ocean, let alone the Atlantic this time of year. The winds have subsided a bit, making it a tad easier for the long-haired Swedish deckhand to keep his spliffs lit. Most of the crew have had a very close inspection of their intestines, as they've been spewing them out in the 60ft swells we've enjoyed the last few days. But, following a keelhauling of the cabin boy for vomiting in the skippers boots, spirits remain high and a steady flow of grog is maintained to ease the nerves.

Course is still SSW, aiming to thread a needle between the Azores. Given current levels of liquid fluid vs daily consumption vs expected days to the goal line (trust you me, this calculation required the use of many xls'es) it seems as if an accidental grounding on the Azores may be required, lest a full blown reenactment of the Bounty might materialise somewhere off the shores of Brazil.

Ah, yes, almost forgot. Current rankings, for those interested in that kind of thing.

http://i43.tinypic.com/9idz15.png

brockenspectre
13th Jan 2014, 08:49
AHOY ALL! thought it was about time we had an update ... it was only in preparing the graphic that I realised a small group of us (currently) have a wee flotilla of our own hehehe Nice to have company.

The new-style SOL calendar is keeping me extra busy at the moment - hopefully as new folks start to get up to speed on what has to be done to keep Sailonline's front-of-house ticking over, I'll have less to do.. that's the cunning plan anyway!

Speaking of cunning plans, there appear to be a few on display here! GOGOGO PPRuNers .... a few folks probably know about the PRU prefix from previous years but many don't so.. let's start getting em guessing :-)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-nTvgPTDI2lo/UtO1MlmqXxI/AAAAAAAACvA/2JrdCi7EYSE/s800/13jan14CHARTnRANKS.png

To see the original sized pic click here (https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/JrOrfygyGOz7l5CG6Knx59GbUvTP_QHiCQhEX8NT13I?feat=directlink)

Wodrick
15th Jan 2014, 17:36
Not much to change at the moment, just maintaining course. Brockie has about .2kt better wind than me so is proving difficult to catch.
Gradually moving up the board though.

I'm really just moving the thread onto the first page :)

ruddman
15th Jan 2014, 17:45
You guys are weird...:hmm:

Wodrick
15th Jan 2014, 19:58
Maybe, but we are happy.

SMT Member
15th Jan 2014, 20:15
Sitrep.

4 days without touching the rudder even one little bit.

Sitrep ends.

beaufort1
16th Jan 2014, 16:13
Bother, couldn't get the I-pad to work for SOL so my vessel has had no inputs from me for about a week, amazed I'm still in the same ocean as everybody else. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/cwm13.gif

Terry Dactil
16th Jan 2014, 18:53
There are some apps that will allow you to work flash programmed web site on an iPad/iPhone. I have used "Puffin web browser free". It is not as nice as using a large screen and a scroll mouse, but it does perform quite well, and it's free. :ok:

beaufort1
16th Jan 2014, 19:13
I tried using 'puffin', but kept getting an error message. Somebody suggested when I got back that the URL probably needed changing to the beta/true? version, wish I'd remembered that. :rolleyes:

Terry Dactil
16th Jan 2014, 19:27
Yes.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that little trap with the SOL site.

chksix
18th Jan 2014, 17:44
I've got no free time for SOL anymore but if I did I'd use this awesome wind page from the tech log:
earth wind map (http://earth.nullschool.net/#2014/01/21/1800Z/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-22.19,-17.12,725)

Wodrick
24th Jan 2014, 08:45
Well no chance of catching the top three in the flotilla, well sailed people but after over a week of trying managed to pass Ms Brockie overnight :D

Fox3WheresMyBanana
24th Jan 2014, 09:42
Thanks for that, Chksix - very pretty!

Low Flier
26th Jan 2014, 18:27
Congratulations to Terry Dactil for a good win in our flotilla :D. A nicely sailed line which was impossible for me to catch up with.

beaufort1
26th Jan 2014, 18:54
Yes, well done. :ok:

John Hill
26th Jan 2014, 18:59
A rather poor showing by Kiwi Flounder I am afraid with more than a thousand miles still to go..:(

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Jan 2014, 19:25
Well done Terry!

India Four Two
26th Jan 2014, 19:29
Terry,

29th out of 471. Bravo Zulu. :ok:

Wodrick
26th Jan 2014, 19:39
Well done Terry :ok:

Always the next legs John

Terry Dactil
26th Jan 2014, 22:25
Thanks group for the kind words.
The finish worked out a lot better than I expected.
I was away for the last 4 days with no computer or internet connection so the boat was on autopilot and on a course that was made using old weather data. (I knew that was going to cost me as I had worked up to #18 at that stage and the competition around me was fierce :{ )
Also, I returned just as boats were starting to finish and only then found out about the changed finish line, otherwise I would now be parked on a beach miles away.
All good fun and looking forward to the next stage. Hope to see you all there.

India Four Two
27th Jan 2014, 15:55
Terry,

So when was the finish line moved and why? How did you find out about it?

I'm far enough away that I hadn't even looked at it.;)

Terry Dactil
27th Jan 2014, 21:53
I only realized there had been a change when I saw some comments in the chat section in the last days of the race about a protest to the race committee and how to prevent this happening again.

The finish position was amended sometime in December (before the race started) but it was not changed on the NOR (the notice of race details) which was on on a different web-site.
It was only at the end of the race when the finish line was visible on a larger scale that it became apparent that a mark had been deleted and the finish line moved. Not a big deal for most competitors, however it could have been disastrous for anyone like me who had their boat on auto-pilot and tracking to the old finish line.

The NOR has now been corrected and they promise it will not happen again. :ok:

John Hill
27th Jan 2014, 22:44
I dont anticipate any problem finding the finish line as there will be 300+ boats there before me!

Blink182
27th Jan 2014, 23:04
Likewise John !

500nm left to run at a leisurely 10 kts at the moment

brockenspectre
30th Jan 2014, 11:47
Hi all

Congratulations to the top finishers ... I'll be making a screengrab of the final placings before closing the race on Saturday morning so.. we'll have the best "pic" of how we did.

Once Leg 2 gets under way I will run cumulative results (on a simple average basis as we've done in the past) so that we get an overall result for the entire race :ok:

I am very embarrassed at missing the finish not once but twice hehehe first time I got embroiled with Up Helly Aa (hope you enjoyed that one!) so forgot to set a DC to head west for the line. Second time I set careful DCs based on a TWA projection and skimmed right past the finish line - I'd forgotten about wx updates hehehe BUT finally ... I have finished.

Debate about NORs

The NOR hyperlinked from each Race Description is an auto-generated "gift" from a SOLer who doesn't race much any more, called brainaid. A super-SOLer, not just because he is/was a nice guy or because he created a clever Sailonline Toolbox (http://sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox/) for everyone to access, but because he also designed his own router and used to sail the socks off everyone - would be fun if he returned to active SOLing! ANYWAY the NORs his server generates usually refresh/update themselves within about 15-20mins of a change to a SOL course but due to his server cache being full, the NOR for this race did not regenerate. The last change to the course was made a couple of days prior to race start but, evidently, some of those who had preset their course before then did not observer the alteration and, unfortunately, no-one noticed the NOR disrepancy until a few days out from the finish.

It used to be that the pre-race phase of SOL races was used to tweak a course, fine-tune waypoints etc, but as Sailonline is trying to become less amateur and more professional, I am sure that in future any changes to a course that has appeared on the Homepage will be documented and readily visible. PLUS, of course, brainaid has cleared the server-cache!!

:cool:

John Hill
30th Jan 2014, 17:52
415 NM still to go! I expect I will be logged DNF on this leg.:uhoh:

India Four Two
31st Jan 2014, 03:06
Sorry to hear that John. You had better wear red socks for the next leg. ;)

I finally made it about an hour ago. I gained 11 places overnight, by increasing my southing by 12 nm in some favourable winds yesterday, so that I was able to turn for the line with a more favourable TWA. I was also helped by two poor b***ers, who missed the line and will be meeting Argentinian customs if they don't turn around soon.

I would have gained one more place, over "73", who although ahead of me, was sedately heading for the middle of the line, instead of the leeward end, like me. However, with 2 nm to go, "73" makes a dirty dart for the leeward end, shortens the distance to run and gains half a knot on me!:D

PS It's New Year's Day here in Saigon. Wishing you all health, wealth and happiness in the Year of the Horse.

Lon More
31st Jan 2014, 10:18
There are possible aids available? Way too complicated for a simple bear like me. I just lick my thumb and hold it up to find where the wind's from

India Four Two
31st Jan 2014, 15:50
Good morning John,

While you were sleeping, I made some "back of the Excel envelope" calculations.

At 201401311638Z, you were doing 11.26 kts and you need a minimum average of 6.5 kts to make it before the race closes. I think you should be able to manage that. Just make sure you steer between the pins! ;)

No hope for truckie, I think. He needs 12 kts to make it. :sad:

John Hill
31st Jan 2014, 17:12
Thanks I42, I have set her up to steer herself to the finish as I will be out today. Remarkedly we seem to have made up a couple of places overnight!

beaufort1
31st Jan 2014, 17:14
I see there are a few of us doing the Transat starting tomorrow evening.

Terry Dactil
31st Jan 2014, 21:56
Just had a preview look at the Transat race setup.
Those catamarans are going to be flying!
The current wind forecast has areas of 50+ knots and looking at the polar diagram of the boat's performance you will be needing a Machmeter to set the best course :ok:

John Hill
1st Feb 2014, 18:35
The first leg of the round the world race no longer shows but I crossed the finish line (posn 318) in my sleep a few hours before race cut off. :hmm:

India Four Two
2nd Feb 2014, 03:00
I crossed the finish line (posn 318) in my sleep

Remind me not to sail anywhere near you! Well done.

John Hill
2nd Feb 2014, 03:23
Thanks, I am thinking that there is more to this game than just pointing the boat at the finish line!

steve757
2nd Feb 2014, 08:40
Indeed, India. Writing was on the wall when a small navigational error in the first hour of the race resulted in me parking the boat on the Lizard whilst on a very long shift at work!. will be at the transat though

truckie

India Four Two
2nd Feb 2014, 13:27
Steve,

See you off Long Island. Middle of the night here, so my start will be by DCs. It will be interesting to see if I guess wrong.

Wodrick
2nd Feb 2014, 13:31
See you all manana, start approaches Bo Boes here so my DCs have been set for two days, just had a tinker with them.

India Four Two
2nd Feb 2014, 23:50
Morning all,
I opted for a southerly DC departure to avoid the risk of beaching on Long Island, so I awoke to find myself at the southern end of the arc - 318 out of 320!

I've just gybed to take advantage of the upcoming wind shift, while I'm going to work.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Feb 2014, 23:52
We've had 3 ppruners in the top 10 up North, so it looks like we've got the spread covered.

Wodrick
3rd Feb 2014, 08:14
Yep, at this stage looks like South was a mistake, so was TWA overnight, still bumble along and make the best of it I suppose.
Some serious Wx over the next few days.

steve757
3rd Feb 2014, 08:45
b*gger, spent the night parked on Long Island.

Terry Dactil
3rd Feb 2014, 09:17
Yep. Life's a beach, isn't it?

Some time back I had my 15 minutes of fame in #1 position before I cut things a bit too fine and scraped the shoreline. Got going again in about 2 minutes, but by then I was back in #80 position after losing about 1/2 a mile to the mob around me. This competition is fierce!

India Four Two
3rd Feb 2014, 11:15
steve,

I saw that. I wish I had your phone number!

Terry,

I saw that too. Keep trying. :ok:

India Four Two
4th Feb 2014, 01:46
Yep. Life's a beach, isn't it?

I had that confirmed when I woke up. I was sailing towards Cape Cod during the night!

I think I must have put in the wrong TWA sign. :ugh:

Terry Dactil
4th Feb 2014, 02:52
I42:
Look at all the Northing you made.
That will be very handy later on. :)

India Four Two
4th Feb 2014, 03:09
That's OK. It's the westing I'm concerned about!

The first race I've been in where I'm running away from the fleet.;)

India Four Two
6th Feb 2014, 16:22
Fox3,

What's Black Dragon doing in Northumberland Strait? Are you sailing home?

Terry Dactil
6th Feb 2014, 22:30
I just knew these catamarans would have a limiting Mach number!
I have been in a patch where the wind was 50+kts and could not get the boat speed above 30 kts.
(At lower wind speeds you can go faster than the wind).
Gotta be shock waves on the sails or compressibility effects in the rigging or something.
More research into breaking the liquid barrier is needed.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Feb 2014, 22:37
Yup, going home.
Bit disappointed - was 1st at one point. Had to spend along time away from a PC so ended up at the back of the fleet. Thought I might as well get a decent cruise out of it!

India Four Two
7th Feb 2014, 00:29
Terry,

It's not a limiting Mach number, it's a Fear Factor. Your crew have taken in reefs! ;)

The current weather is a graphic illustration of why there is no February Transat in real life. Would I be sailing in 50 kt winds, with 55 kts on the horizon? Not likely. :eek:

Fox3,

I had the same feeling when I mixed up TWA signs earlier and sailed towards Cape Cod overnight. However, I'm new at this, so I decided to soldier on. I pick another boat ahead of me and match race against them. I've regained 15 places so far.

I made one mile over night against my current "target". I feel like Jack Aubrey chasing down a French frigate! :)

PS By the way, nice tacking through the Strait of PBY. I see from the map that in the SOL world, the source of the St. Lawrence is Quebec City. I hope you'r not trying to go beyond there.

Terry Dactil
7th Feb 2014, 01:55
It's not a limiting Mach number, it's a Fear Factor. Your crew have taken in reefs!
What a mob of pussies I have for a crew, then!
Current conditions are wind 58kts for a boat speed M.042 or 28 kts.
I used to taxy big aircraft faster than that :ok:

India Four Two
7th Feb 2014, 11:29
I used to taxy big aircraft faster than that

Maybe, but it probably didn't seem as fast. The max speed I've seen under sail is 14 kts. I cannot imagine what 28 kts looks like!

Terry Dactil
7th Feb 2014, 22:57
Yeah. It expect it would be quite terrifying. It would rattle the ice in your G&T and maybe even spill some of it. :)
I guess the ornamental bikini-clad beauties would have to move off the foredeck too.
It can be a tough life at sea! :E

brockenspectre
8th Feb 2014, 13:13
Hi all

I promised I would get a screengrab before closing Leg 1 and I did.. lots of "life" happening has just meant I didn't get around to tidying it properly for presentation until now!

Some excellent results and here is the final image:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0BArCq6MxyM/UvY6en8rK8I/AAAAAAAACwQ/8ds1DiSrxVA/s800/01feb14.png

P.S. truckie - apologies for chopping your "segment" but I can't figure out how to make it prettier, now its saved ...

BRAVO to all... and hope you are enjoying zooming round New Zealand's North Island - that's a slick race.. with starts of subsequent legs in reality after 60% of the fleet has arrived!!

Terry Dactil
8th Feb 2014, 20:14
Bugger
I'm shipwrecked on the coast. :{
A bloke can't go away for a few days and leave the crew to look after things 'till I get back. I think I should keelhaul them all! :E

India Four Two
9th Feb 2014, 03:32
Terry,

That's too bad, but it was not just any piece of coast - Whitesands Bay, just north of Lands End. In real life, given the weather, your vessel would have been of pile of matchwood or crumbling fibreglass. :E Even if you survived, the "Cornish Wreckers" might have got to you. ;)

Anyway 54th is not too bad - well done.

I'm now 1h30 from The Lizard on a quite efficient 27kt broad reach. I'm currently number 212 and given the number of vessels aground or sailing merrily towards France, I should be able to break 200 and maybe do a lot better. We'll see.

The big lesson I've learned in this race is not to set DCs using TWA. In future, I'll convert to the appropriate heading and use that, thus avoiding the sign errors I made!

PS I'm intrigued by your track when you clawed off the lee-shore. What happened there?

Terry Dactil
9th Feb 2014, 06:00
Incompetent captain.
I could only get infrequent access to a computer, and after setting a course to clear the shore i forgot to clear all the DCs I'd set, so some time later, when the next one triggered, it promptly turned the boat around and shipwrecked me again while I was not looking :{

India Four Two
10th Feb 2014, 01:51
I joined leg 2 of the Round North Island Race this morning, via DCs while asleep.

I managed to avoid running aground on the first reach, but didn't get to my computer quickly enough this morning. I'm now 235 out of 236, in serious blue air. Nowhere to go but up!

However I see there are many non-starters, so I should expect a sudden jump to the 190s before long.;)

Wodrick
26th Feb 2014, 12:11
Time to get onto the front page and register for leg two.

I'm sure Brockie will arrange a flotilla again.

Reflex
26th Feb 2014, 21:37
I'm in again

Fox3WheresMyBanana
26th Feb 2014, 21:44
and me!!!!!

Blink182
27th Feb 2014, 10:24
+ 1
( Note to self : Pay more attention and don't keep bumping into the solid bits this time ! :ouch: )

Terry Dactil
27th Feb 2014, 11:03
+ 1
I'm in too.
This also applies to me: ( Note to self : Pay more attention and don't keep bumping into the solid bits this time ! )
Good advice.

Big Hammer
27th Feb 2014, 13:07
I am in as well.

John Hill
27th Feb 2014, 18:44
Kiwi Flounder has registered.

beaufort1
28th Feb 2014, 07:27
I'm in and this time I'll have internet access for the entire leg so I'll have no excuse when it all goes base over apex.:O :)

brockenspectre
28th Feb 2014, 11:17
AHOY PPruNe Shipmates... hope you are getting yourselves prepared for Leg 2 of Steinlager's epic RTW race. A little different on SOL this time as the southern bounds are virtually (geddit?!:E) limitless! No ice gates and nothing to prevent folks trying the shortest possible "direct line" to the finish....just the Southern Oceans and their endlessly challenging conditions to play with.

I shall - as ever - create a grid of Leg results as we race through this adventure ... do we have any new joiners?

:-D

brockenspectre .................. RainbowChaser
India Four Two ................... Miss_Saigon
John Hill ............................ KiwiFlounder
LonMore ............................ LonMore
LowFlier ............................ 2DFlier
pilotjack ............................ ionian

bold italics denotes boat not (yet) registered in Leg 2

As I am (mostly) running the Sailonline front-of-house I shall remain PRU-prefix-less ... but my heart, as ever, will be with our flotilla :-D

steve757
28th Feb 2014, 15:40
Another good turnout. Tech Q. I am trying to understand Bluewater racing by setting up a trial by error route. Can anyone suggest where I can find a USEABLE polar for the Steinlager boat ( or a near equivalent)?

Terry Dactil
28th Feb 2014, 21:40
Can anyone suggest where I can find a USEABLE polar for the Steinlager boat ( or a near equivalent)?

Yep. Buried deep in the SOL forums is a link to the ultimate polar display thingy "SPINNACER" by Kroppyer

Guide to SPINNACER (v1.0) (http://sol.kroppyer.nl/spinnacer_guide1.0.php)

You may need to install Java if you don't already have it on your computer.

I particularly enjoyed the tab explaining the nautical terms "head up" and "bear away" as applied to polars

There are some very smart people on that site!

edit:
I may have misunderstood your request:
If you just want the Steinlager II polar to plug into Bluewater racing you can download it from brainaid's site.
brainaids Sailonline Toolbox (http://sol.brainaid.de/sailonline/toolbox)
It is #4 in the list of polars that are available for different programs

Wodrick
1st Mar 2014, 14:34
Nudge so those not signed in spot it

Lon More
1st Mar 2014, 15:54
signed in,

beaufort1
3rd Mar 2014, 19:10
Start in less than an hour, good luck all. :ok:

Low Flier
3rd Mar 2014, 20:00
2DFlier has completed Customs formalities.

Blue Peter is hoisted and crew are all aboard and in reasonable condition.

Two crewmembers have sufficient antibiotics to deal with a delicate condition of the gentlemen's vegetables acquired during their sojourn with the dusky maidens of Montevideo - a condition now known aboard as Montevidereal disease.

Their punishment for such bad behaviour is transportation to Australia.

Big Hammer
3rd Mar 2014, 20:09
Oh well, as usual went the wrong way to start. Have to leave this to its own devices until tomorrow arvo as busy day ahead and am somewhat exhausted now.

Good luck everyone, (or should that be break a leg?) :\

brockenspectre
3rd Mar 2014, 20:25
Fair winds everyone! Just ionian not registered out of our "regulars".... Looks to be a real test!

I've been trying to find reports/info from Steinlager in the original race but haven't had any luck so far....so, as an alternative, I am hoping that SOLer javakeda will start a race log so feel free to contribute thoughts/comments there (as well as here)!

John Hill
3rd Mar 2014, 20:30
Oh fiddlesticks! I got called away on an errand and started 13 minutes late!:eek:

Terry Dactil
3rd Mar 2014, 22:20
Oh fiddlesticks! I got called away on an errand and started 13 minutes late!
For insurance you can preset a DC with Delay for start so you don't have to be there to get going.

Interesting to note that the leaderboard positions seem to be based on distance remaining on the great circle track to the finish, which is almost due south.
Most of the fleet are well to the east of this and are well down in the list.

Wodrick
3rd Mar 2014, 22:23
Happy sailing all. I suspect that 13 minutes on this leg will make cock all difference at the end.

Wod, pissed again

John Hill
3rd Mar 2014, 23:35
Seems that I have already passed 100+ boats!:ooh:

Wodrick
5th Mar 2014, 16:54
So I leave it alone, let it wander and crawl up to 3rd in the running order, I touch it, only a minor nudge and I'm off going backwards again:ugh:

Come on Lon time to start.

Lon More
5th Mar 2014, 17:52
Only 600 miles behind the leaders. should make that up within the week - in my dreams.:E

To be honest, other things on my mind

John Hill
5th Mar 2014, 18:28
Give me a wave as you pass me by, overnight I lost the 100 places I had previously made up :rolleyes:

Terry Dactil
5th Mar 2014, 20:03
Give me a wave as you pass me by, overnight I lost the 100 places I had previously made up

I think the race positions are pretty meaningless at this stage, so I would not be too concerned just yet.

It shows the leaders as the ones closest to the great circle track with the shortest distance to the finish. However, unless they have worked out how to sail right over Antarctica they are going to have problems in the future.

I note that the aces from previous races are currently showing in the 200s, and I rather doubt that that will be their positions at the finish.

Wodrick
7th Mar 2014, 09:22
That's all very well Terry but I do seem to have a knack, well honed, of being in the wrong place for the wind.
I look ahead, think where I want to be in a few days and bingo it's wrong.

Terry Dactil
7th Mar 2014, 11:33
I look ahead, think where I want to be in a few days and bingo it's wrong.
Aha! That's where you are going wrong.
You should head for where you don't want to be.

Head for good winds and they vanish by the time you get there, so the same should apply to blue holes.
Head for the worst blue hole, and by the time you get there it will have gone and you will have a nice 20kt breeze. :ok:
Logical innit?

(Otherwise do as I do - keep an eye on where the aces are going, and do something similar yourself That seems to work too.)

SMT Member
7th Mar 2014, 11:34
Started an hour late; the girl friend insisted I slipped her one, and who am I to argue such demands?

Heading SSE for the 50s and 60s, then a skirt along the Antarctic coast before heading up to the prison island. Am not too badly placed right now, but history shows its only a question of time before I'll be caught on the wrong side of a low, seeing the leaders on the other side rapidly disappearing over the horizon.

Personal goal is to finish in the top 1/3rd of the pack, ending up in the top 1/4 would be a major victory.

Lon More
7th Mar 2014, 13:34
Passed earlier by someone, Rooster, heading back to port - another place gained

Wodrick
10th Mar 2014, 13:29
Nearly a nasty encounter with the South Sandwich Islands there Captn B :\

beaufort1
10th Mar 2014, 15:07
No, I managed to go aground for a short while. :ugh::ugh:

brockenspectre
10th Mar 2014, 20:49
Ahoy All!

Thought it was time we had our first "ranking" ... I'll do a fleet-at-sea pic in the next days too...

Hope you have all discovered the excellent blog that SOLer javakeda is linking via this SOL Forum thread (http://www.sailonline.org/board/thread/11885/sailonlines-round-the-world-race-2014/?page=4#post-12198):

and now.... here are the current standings:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-brWbqY54i1s/Ux4kCW5NfOI/AAAAAAAACyo/sRZMB6h3Eeg/s800/10mar14.png

brockenspectre
14th Mar 2014, 09:56
A couple of days later than I had planned, but here's how we look! Avoiding the blue goo of windholes is definitely the order of the day for most of us!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-10NYlIgLWiE/UyLQQp6KqNI/AAAAAAAACzE/XPNc8AOQ5dY/s800/Flotilla14mar14.png

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-6Tn-eFJ5DJQ/UyLT36MrrbI/AAAAAAAACzk/AgmPX2ghRDg/s800/MinZoom14mar14.png

I must admit that this time the Southern Oceans have been different from what I had been expecting - maybe I am misremembering, but the times we have SOLed here before, I am sure there has been one system after another really tearing through... maybe we've just been here at a different time of year :ok:

Just over a couple of weeks to go.... allegedly!! :E

Lon More
24th Mar 2014, 13:23
Finally got the injectors cleaned. The Evinrudes are really turning now

Anybody hit any wreckage yet?

Go for it Terry !!!

brockenspectre
25th Mar 2014, 17:22
Latest ranking....

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8xpOoe4ygX8/UzG61LVo8YI/AAAAAAAAC0w/1cgIYKc1bgo/s800/25mar14RANKS.png

GOGOGO TerryDactil! :ok:

beaufort1
25th Mar 2014, 17:26
Yes, well sailed TD. :D

I'm having a nightmare of a race.:O

Lon More
25th Mar 2014, 18:18
Did you leave the anchor dangling Beaufort?

India Four Two
26th Mar 2014, 20:05
I'm having a nightmare of a race.

Me too. Very busy with my day job, my company IT department has blacklisted SOL and a company business trip last week combined with a TWA caused me to sail west for two days! At least I'm not aground on the Antarctic coast.

Well done Terry.

steve757
27th Mar 2014, 08:12
......not aground on the antarctic coast.......
which is where I languished for 3 days last week have miscalculated a DC. Was 29th at one stage

Wodrick
28th Mar 2014, 14:55
Well done Terry fifth is outstanding, I know your mistake by the way, sleeping :):ok::D

Might even be fourth yet as he looks like he will miss the finish line:O

Terry Dactil
28th Mar 2014, 15:17
Sleeping? I wish!
Still, it is only 2am here, and another cup of coffee should get me to the finish.
Notice my cunning plan to get a bit north to avoid having pure tailwind on final, where the boat speed becomes bugger-all. I'm gaining on the other boat ahead who is in that predicament, but I don't think there is enough distance left for me to overtake him. :{

Lon More
28th Mar 2014, 18:36
Well done Terry!!!!

Is that the highest place ever for a PRU boat?

SMT Member
28th Mar 2014, 18:54
Well done TD, pat yourself vigorously on the back and pop a bottle of fizz to celebrate.

I've had a bitch of a leg too, which started when I got caught on the wrong side of a low and saw the main pack disappearing over the horizon. Given that the race was shot to pieces, decided to head south and see if I could catch some whale for the deckhands to eat.

John Hill
28th Mar 2014, 19:10
If anyone asks I thought I would just help in the search a bit!

KiwiFlounder still has a long way to go.

Terry Dactil
29th Mar 2014, 00:58
Thank you. (**bows modestly**)
I had some very good luck when I managed to stay with and surf the front of a patch of very strong wind for a day or two in the middle of the race.
Who woodda thunk I would ever find a use for the study I had to do on pressure pattern navigation more than (gulp) 40 years ago! :)

beaufort1
29th Mar 2014, 07:51
Well sailed Terry, impressive result. :D:D

India Four Two
29th Mar 2014, 12:52
Well sailed Terry, impressive result. :D:DDitto :ok:

So there is hope for us "non-router" types.

Blink182
1st Apr 2014, 15:27
Well Sailed , Terry !

Not much time for a breather onshore........next leg , Freemantle to Auckland starts 0600hrs April 4th

beaufort1
1st Apr 2014, 17:54
I might just have finished this leg by then. :O

India Four Two
1st Apr 2014, 19:50
beaufort1,

You had better call up the crew of your standby ketch in Perth and tell them to get ready! :)

Seriously, why on earth is the next leg starting so soon? There was a long delay between legs 1 and 2.

Wodrick
2nd Apr 2014, 08:44
Lyric registered for the next leg, must try to stop this mid field run.

John Hill
2nd Apr 2014, 08:53
Ummm, where does one find the start time of the next leg? I never could find the start time of this one and only got away on the day having seen others talking about it.

P.S. Yes, I have been told I am a bit slow on the uptake some times!;)

[OK, belay that, I found the page and registered but KiwiFlounder will be lucky to be there in time!]

Wodrick
2nd Apr 2014, 09:02
Quick as a flash

Race starts: Apr 04th 06:00z You should be ok, going home !

I, speaking personally and for myself, am not overfond of these legs nearly 12 hours out of my timezone, too much can go wrong with DCs.

John Hill
2nd Apr 2014, 09:11
Thanks Wodrick, I am fairly sure I will not finish this leg by then so it will be interesting to see what the software does with my entry.

Wodrick
2nd Apr 2014, 09:22
Been there, the existing leg ceases and you start the next leg as normal. It all happens round about Blue Peter time.

Terry Dactil
2nd Apr 2014, 10:07
You can always RTFM :E
1.4. Starting procedure

All boats are towed back to the starting line 1 hour before race start. From 1 hour before the start, until the start, the boats are held at the starting line. A command executed during this period will be the initial command for the boat at the start.

Example: Race starts 18.00 UTC. If a player sends a command, TWA 55 degrees at 17.32 UTC, the boat will sail TWA 55 degrees at 18.00 UTC when the boats are released.

Please note that you can also use a delayed command to be executed during the prestart phase - it has the same effect.

All boats start with a default performance loss.
There is a Blue Peter flag top left of the screen during this period.

John Hill:
I am fairly sure I will not finish this leg by then so it will be interesting to see what the software does with my entry.
AFAIK there is nothing to stop you being in two or more races at the same time, as you logon separately to each.

brockenspectre
3rd Apr 2014, 17:32
Hi all

Apologies for not posting the new participation list.. but I shall first affix PRU_ to everyone I find registered for Leg 3 and then tomorrow will do my "homework" of getting our results so far duly marshalled and tallied!

For now, however, here is our ranking in Leg 2 as at today:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-H0c_b0MPnOI/Uz2ZyifU9ZI/AAAAAAAAC2c/u0-RtFlbxS8/s800/03apr14.png

Races in Sailonline all stand independently of each other, even if they are part of a series and even if, in reality, it would not be possible for you to be sailing in two legs of the same race as with our RTW one.

Race close in SRTW2 will be announced by an in-race message (it is likely to be this weekend) as Sailonline knows how much folks like to get to a finish line if possible (even though ranks race close are those used for SYC ranking purposes!).

Fair winds everyone!!

Wodrick
3rd Apr 2014, 17:54
That's great Brockie, there are only three not registered for the next leg, Miss Saigon,Reflex and 2d Flier.
As ever your efforts are appreciated.

John Hill
3rd Apr 2014, 19:23
KiwiFlounder is registered and I promise this time to pay more attention and not be the last one home again (it gets so tiring rowing in from the most distant mooring!).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
3rd Apr 2014, 19:34
Race Totals so far (provisional in some cases)
Pretty tight in the middle!
Big Hammer wins the consistency prize.

http://i1303.photobucket.com/albums/ag156/RickXI/Leg1_2_zps731556d3.jpg

Reflex
3rd Apr 2014, 21:50
I've woken up and registered for leg 3

Lon More
4th Apr 2014, 18:04
didn't get left at the start this time.

Big Hammer
4th Apr 2014, 18:55
At least I seem to be consistant at 194, nearly there in the current race as well.

beaufort1
5th Apr 2014, 07:14
Bother, wind changed after going to get some kip last night and have been sailing away from the next mark for about three hours. :*

Lon More
5th Apr 2014, 07:38
Oh dear, heading back to South America all night

Wodrick
5th Apr 2014, 09:03
If this was real there would be a hell of a traffic jam at the first waypoint.

Cap'n B you should know sleep is not allowed. :)

Lon you should know that TWA overnight is a no-no !

brockenspectre
5th Apr 2014, 09:24
AHOY all!

Big thank you to Fox3 for compiling the stats... that's saved me a lot of time AND I hereby invite you to do the same for the rest of the series hehehe

Here is the current list of PPRuNe/SOL names racing in the Steinlager epic:

PPRuNe name ................ Sailonline name
beaufort .......................... beaufort1
Big Hammer ...................... Big_Hammer
Blink182 .......................... golfsierrakilo
brockenspectre ................. RainbowChaser
Fox3WheresMyBanana ........ BlackDragon
India Four Two ................. Miss_Saigon
John Hill .......................... KiwiFlounder
LonMore .......................... LonMore
LowFlier .......................... 2DFlier
reflex ............................. reflex
SMT Member ................... VikingAhoy
steve757 ........................ truckie
Terry Dactil ..................... Terry_Dactil
Winch-control .................. Shade001
Wodrick .......................... lyric

As you will note, we have a new member of the Flotilla. Please welcome Winch-control, sailing as Shade001.

In the past, whenever someone missed a leg (either couldn't sail it or joined in further down-course) we gave them a score for that missing leg equal to the last placed PPRuNe racer +1. On that basis, I have rerun the numbers and this is the ranking I come up with. Does that all seem fair?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-zTPQD4hWHjI/Uz_LMDdT0LI/AAAAAAAAC3Y/8D0H04op-xc/s800/TALLY_05apr14.png

and now.. as I not only left myself on a TWA so have lost about 150 places in this race, I was so weary setting a start DC for the G2LHI last night that I ignored our first and only waypoint!! <eyeroll>

Ciaooooooooooooo!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Apr 2014, 09:33
Happy to oblige:ok:

India Four Two
6th Apr 2014, 10:11
Well, I was a day late starting leg 3 - mixed up the dates, made worse by the UTC offset. RC, can you add me to the PRU fleet?

I took a bit of time off to participate in the the two PEP races. I was late starting the first one, but got off the line with the gun in the second one.

I was doing very well until I rounded Eddystone and lost some places, but still managed to finish 19th, 1:45 behind outlaw. I was very pleased

Lon More
6th Apr 2014, 10:28
RC I seem to be missing from the fleet as well

Terry Dactil
7th Apr 2014, 00:48
If you sail close to the coastline, say "G'day" to the locals, and envy our relaxed lifestyle in Oz.
http://i1313.photobucket.com/albums/t552/terrydactil/KoalaCoopers_zps5b9bd783.jpg

India Four Two
7th Apr 2014, 19:14
19:12 UTC

Why aren't you following your own advice, Terry?

Heading 195 - next stop Antarctica? Or do you have a cunning plan? ;)

John Hill
7th Apr 2014, 19:58
That was an expensive sleep while KiwiFlounder got overtaken by 100+ boats!:confused:

Terry Dactil
8th Apr 2014, 00:01
Heading 195 - next stop Antarctica? Or do you have a cunning plan?
Yeah. the BWR program I'm playing with suggests I should take a closer look at the penguins down in this part of the world. :)
http://pics.kuvaton.com/kuvei/like_the_others2.jpg

Wodrick
9th Apr 2014, 12:20
'tis beginning to look as if my natural skill at backward sailing is coming to the fore again.

Lon More
10th Apr 2014, 15:04
Lost 120 places overnight.

Still not showing in the PRU Flottila

SMT Member
10th Apr 2014, 17:41
Here's the current standings in the pru_ flotilla. I'm in a protracted battle with Blackdragon, trailing by a single nautical mile in the rankings. But we're more than 400NM apart. That's pretty neat.

http://i62.tinypic.com/k05zrn.png

Lon More
16th Apr 2014, 18:15
YEEHAW!!! 24.24 knots!!!

Still not showing in the flottila though

beaufort1
17th Apr 2014, 21:10
Well done Terry. :ok:

SMT Member
17th Apr 2014, 23:06
Don't know if anybody noticed, but the podium finishers all came in within 1NM of each other, which is pretty neat after a 2000NM race.

Also hearty well done to Terry on another great finish, less than 20NM off the winner if memory serves me right.

Oh, and welcome to Lon :D

Terry Dactil
18th Apr 2014, 03:58
It was a very interesting finish wriggling around the islands on the approach to Auckland with one of the aces right on my tail less than a half mile away.

I could not understand why the leaders ahead were not just following the optimum angles stuff, but hugging the coastline most of the time. The penny finally dropped when I realised that although there was no difference in the wind direction, the wind speed was about 0.01kts stronger over there a bit further to the west, and that was what the aces were going for. (I had noticed a similar thing in a previous race where they were going for a slightly better wind direction when the wind speed was constant).

I started doing the same thing and managed to stay ahead of the bloke right on my tail. It was another big learning experience.

Talk about a fierce competition! None of this pointing the boat in the general direction of the finish, while sipping on a G&T. :=

Lon More
18th Apr 2014, 06:38
Well done TD.
The finish looks interesting. Initial thought was that there was access from the west :ugh: Thankfully for once I wasn't in too bad a position to do something about it when I realised

Terry Dactil
19th Apr 2014, 04:32
Ahoy Lyric:
LOCALISER - LOCALISER!
GO-AROUND!

Oops -too late. You have crashed and may have to walk to Auckland now.

Wodrick
19th Apr 2014, 06:56
Internet failed last night 22.30 and couldn't set a DC, knew that when I surfaced this morning it would not be good.
Swift full English on the barbie and I'm off again :)

Lon More
19th Apr 2014, 08:24
seem to be a couple of the flottila whose crews have jumped ship and are heading of to areas marked "Here be Dragons" on the chart

Terry Dactil
19th Apr 2014, 08:38
Lon More @ #210
Initial thought was that there was access from the west
I think you could have made it from that direction.
The wind was pretty strong, so I reckon if you hit the beach going fast enough you could slide overland to Auckland, particularly if the grass was wet. :E
Probably it would look a bit untidy in these monohulls. It would be better in a catamaran. :ok:

Lon More
19th Apr 2014, 08:46
All crew muster forrard with shovels

John Hill
20th Apr 2014, 08:50
KiwiFlounder crossed the line in position 197!

Wodrick
20th Apr 2014, 09:46
It's a long wait until the next leg, have signed up for Cape Town to Abu Dhabi that should keep me quiet.

Wodrick
20th Apr 2014, 22:18
C'mon ocean racers sign up for Cape Town to Abu Dhabi starts 09.00/21

Terry Dactil
21st Apr 2014, 04:11
OK. I'll give it a go.
I worked in Oman for a few years in a previous life, so I might call into Muscat on the way past and see how they are getting on without me.
Who needs to sleep during the nights on these long distance races anyway!

beaufort1
21st Apr 2014, 07:14
I've also signed up for this one.:ok:

John Hill
23rd Apr 2014, 09:24
KiwiFlounder is in position 48 in the Cape Town to Abu Dhabi race which I think is the closest we have ever been to the front. However time for bed now and a long day tomorrow so I expect to loose quite a few places!:rolleyes:

Lon More
23rd Apr 2014, 10:49
Just set sail. I must be doing well, position is 0

brockenspectre
23rd Apr 2014, 11:44
Hi all

Do those of you registered in the Cape Town-Abu Dhabi wish to sail as PRU_ flotilla wessels? I can easily change your names if you like?

The list I espy is:

PPRuNe ........... Sailonline
Terry Dactil ....... Terry_Dactil
reflex ............... reflex
brockenspectre .. RainbowChaser
Wodrick ............ lyric
LonMore ........... LonMore
SMT Member ..... VikingAhoy
beaufort ........... beaufort1
John Hill ........... KiwiFlounder

I'll prepare our final rankings in Leg 3 of the Round The World Race and our overall tallies in that series on Saturday when the race closes - those still to finish may well improve their ranks 'twixt now and then so it would be unfair to do the rankings now!

Lon More
23rd Apr 2014, 13:35
Thanks as usual, Brockie.

Managed almost 1 mile before running aground this time.

beaufort1
23rd Apr 2014, 13:39
I'm quite happy sailing under the PRU prefix anytime, so yes please Brockie.:ok:

Wodrick
23rd Apr 2014, 14:44
Me too thanks Brockie

brockenspectre
23rd Apr 2014, 17:01
Okie dokie.. I shall take an exec decision and change all proon flotilla types to prefix PRU_ in the Cape Town-Abu Dhabi :-)

Wodrick
27th Apr 2014, 08:21
I am drawn like a magnet to areas of slack wind,so frustrating.

John Hill
27th Apr 2014, 10:01
Count KiwiFlounder in the PPRune flotilla.

brockenspectre
27th Apr 2014, 16:21
AHOY ALL!! Happy Sunday wherever you may be.

Before the new working week begins... here are our rankings at the close of SRTW Race Leg 3:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-qJPNRbDQQkc/U10tfzEjX6I/AAAAAAAAC4U/eScCI0Sygv4/s800/26apr14_Leg3_FINAL.png

and here are our cumulative positions thus far.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-p5HcGnOwomo/U10tbF2vQoI/AAAAAAAAC4M/HI3kLogeIeA/s800/TallyAfterLeg3.png

If there is anyone else wishing to join in, your rank for each leg not sailed will be equivalent to the worst PPRuNe result+1. :-)

brockenspectre
4th May 2014, 13:19
Here we are:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-L2sOronDlrI/U2Y4L3ofIgI/AAAAAAAAC4s/QQJb9qMx7xk/s800/PPruNeFlotilla04may14.png

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-yY883b9pbq4/U2Y918jNKhI/AAAAAAAAC5I/g_MqwGvrUEc/s800/PPruNeCTAD04may14.png

India Four Two
5th May 2014, 00:09
I started the AbuDhabi race quite late, so I'm match-racing my nearest competitor, who was 700 miles ahead of me last night. I woke up to discover I had gained 120 miles on him. SOG 25 kts!

Terry Dactil
5th May 2014, 00:18
SOG only 25 kts and you have a wind of more than 30 kts.
Put up more sail ya wimp! :E

Big Hammer
5th May 2014, 10:11
Oops! Forgot about this one! :*

SMT Member
5th May 2014, 17:32
Woo-hoo, I'm ahead of Terry! Don't expect it to last though, my present position is mainly down to dumb luck and following somebody who know what he's doing (Rafa).

Still, one is rather chuffed :)

Wodrick
11th May 2014, 20:42
Well done Terry - again, thought you were beaten for a while.

tight amongst Pruners in the 140s

Wodrick
13th May 2014, 11:07
Can Reflex beat the Norwegian interloper ? he has a better angle.

Wodrick
13th May 2014, 13:20
That must have been close Mr Reflex, well done :D

beaufort1
13th May 2014, 16:12
Well done Terry and company. :D

My father in law beat me again,:* the old beggar cheats though as I have it on good authority that he takes his laptop to bed. :ooh:

Wodrick
13th May 2014, 16:16
Is that him under the Guernsey flag just ahead Captain B ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
13th May 2014, 16:17
Registration for Leg 4 WRTW is now open.
Race start 2200Z 15 MAY, i.e Thursday

Lon More
13th May 2014, 17:34
Thanks. I'm in.

Wodrick
13th May 2014, 17:37
Me too, how many days are you delaying starting this time Lon to give the rest a chance :)

Reflex
13th May 2014, 19:33
I'm in too.
Missed the Cape Town - Abu Dhabi start by at least 12 hours, must try harder!

John Hill
13th May 2014, 20:30
Kiwi Flounder is registered for the Orks-Punta del Est leg. :)

SMT Member
13th May 2014, 21:49
Barely dry after reaching Ab Dabs, crew is transmorphed down to Orks and it's off we go again.

VikingAhoy is in.

Wassa Steinlager 2 by the way?

Wodrick
13th May 2014, 21:53
Google it .....................

Blink182
14th May 2014, 07:10
I'm in for the next leg of RTW

Lon More
14th May 2014, 07:43
Me too, how many days are you delaying starting this time Lon to give the rest a chance

Probably wait a couple of days again before firing up theevinrudes. Got to get the crew off the tender first

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.608050086593299953&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Big Hammer
14th May 2014, 10:35
I'm in but will be away for the start so will probably end up with a BBQ very early on. :*