PDA

View Full Version : Internet problems!!!!!!!

frazhm
13th May 2002, 08:32
This is driving me nuts!!.

I have a P3 450 with win98. Every time I try to go on-line I get the "cannot find server" message. I have followed the Win Help file and it points to it being "missing winsock files". I then follow their procedure for replacing those particular files. It gives the file names of several and I am able to recover all but one file from the Win 98 master disc- but still to no avail. I have also reinstalled win 98 and the modem software but again no luck. The modem does seem to be working-(beeping and chunnering in the right places) but I cannot be totally be sure.
My ISP does have a technical services line- but it is always busy and is 50p/minute and they have been spectacularly useless in the past.

Any suggestions???.
PS -before you ask this request comes via my works PC!!!!
(I am quite desparate- remember I am a guy who can't get any PPrune(ing) done at the weekends!!!!??????!!!!)

djk
13th May 2002, 15:23
frazhm,

might be an obvious thing to say here, but have you tried reinstalling Dial-Up Networking?

frazhm
14th May 2002, 09:53
Aisleman
My ISP is Lineone/Tiscali and the file that I am prompted for but cannot load off the master disc is something like wsock_32.dll or similar (I am doing this from work) I am connected via BT Surftime does that help??

Dkosky (and fellow HMHB fan perchance???)

I have tried redoing the dial up networking but still no luck. I now seem to be having probs with IE as it won't load and when I try to reinstall setup gets stalled as it detects a "newer version"

Still I could always resort to "writing on the sole of a slipper with a biro"--another HMHB reference.

:D :D :D :D

GeneralElectric
14th May 2002, 11:38
Fraz,

You say that you still had the problems AFTER reinstalling Windows?

Winsock32 is a pretty fundamental part of WIndows Networking and without it you're not going to be able to to a great deal!

A complete reinstall of the Windows TCP/IP stack looks like it's needed, but that's relatively easy. Just remove all components shown in Control Panel > Network and also your modem (from Control Panel > Modems).

If you then restart your PC, reinstall the modem driver, you should find that your essential networking components have magically reappeared.

Try and download (eg) Yahoo free dialup software from your work PC, bang it on a disk and install from home. If you've done it right, it should easily detect your modem and, if required, TCP/IP and friends.

I normally keep a couple of spare Internet providers' dialups on my PC just in case I can't get onto my main one.

Let us know if that worked.

Winsock32 can be overwritten by some viruses so make sure you've got up-to-date virus protection on your machine.

It's unlikely to be the fault of your ISP that your box can't find Winsock (unless they're shipping dodgy installation CD's!).

Hope something here helps...

GE

frazhm
22nd May 2002, 10:00
General Electric

Sorry I have taken such a while to respond. But your suggestions eventually turned out to be the winner!! It was the elusive missing winsock file- the one I couldn't trace that was crucial. A computer whizz kid at my workplace's IT department managed to track down the missing file and returned to its rightful place.

So many thanks GE and to the others who also galiantly tried--and failed!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Ahhhhh Smug mode!!!