PDA

View Full Version : Wind

llondel
24th Dec 2013, 03:15
Looking at the BBC News live weather reporting, lots of aircraft out of position and a lot of missed approaches at the airports in the SE. People arriving at Manchester at 3am and having to find themselves a taxi and hotel room instead of being at Gatwick.

Still better than spending the night in a smoking hole though...

White Knight
24th Dec 2013, 03:23
Jackie from Sussex emailed to say she was involved in a "terrifying" aborted landing at Manchester Airport after being diverted from Gatwick.

Looks like the boys and girls in the front are having fun:ok::}

chevvron
24th Dec 2013, 06:21
Shirley the autopilot does all the work.

I'll get me coat.

Capetonian
24th Dec 2013, 07:49
Just in from a friend who flies a lot and is not easily 'scared'.

I flew to LHR today. Scariest landing I've ever had in my life it was so blustery. If it hadn't been for the engines you could have heard a pin drop, everyone was very frightened I think. We were tossed around close to landing and couldn't imagine how we could land straight. But we did and all the Germans (it was a LH flight from MUC) applauded with relief. An amazing captain.

Wycombe
24th Dec 2013, 08:07
Was watching the "action" on FR24 last night, off and on.

Numerous go-arounds, long holdings and diversions at LHR and LGW.

Monarch 321 SSH-LGW held for a while, went around, then headed for STN on a 7700. Interesting to watch the other traffic around STN being held/broken-off to make way.

BA 767 ARN-LHR held for ages north and south of LHR, then headed for BHX, as did a couole of EZY's from BRS and a Thomson 757 routing KTT (Kittila, Finland) LGW.

Austrian 321 in the LAM hold for what seemed like ages, while others passed and landed. Think he ended up in MAN.

Aer Lingus 320 ORK-LHR looked like it held, made an approach, went around and went back to ORK, though can't be 100% certain on that one.

An "interesting" evening to be up and about.

Dave Wilson
24th Dec 2013, 08:18
Jackie from Sussex emailed to say she was involved in a "terrifying" aborted landing at Manchester Airport after being diverted from Gatwick.

Call me an old duffer but what exactly is 'terrifying' about an aborted landing? We'll be getting 'it was terrifying taxiing to the gate, the captain had to make the aircraft turn on the taxiway' next...:hmm:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Dec 2013, 09:09
<<If it hadn't been for the engines you could have heard a pin drop,>>

Next time he ought to get them to switch off the engines....

EGLD
24th Dec 2013, 09:15
I too watched on FR24 last night, and as I live nearby, listened to those in the hold to the south of the airport as well as Heathrow Tower.

Judging by it's track, one Aer Lingus seemed to spend more time in the hold than the short flight from Ireland, then missed it's approach and went around......straight back into the same hold :ugh: I think it went around again, can't remember exactly.

One Aer Lingus made one approach, went back into the hold, and appeared to decide to go back to Cork where it had just flown from, rather than Stansted where most seemd to go. A Virgin headed north after going around, perhaps Manchester? It was passing Birmingham last I saw of it.

At one point, around 11pm, I'd say over half approaches went around with some very flustered "we're going around" calls.

One BA plane that did make it down, when given the "turn right and follow the greens" just sort of chuckled and laughed his way through repeating the instruction to ATC.

On the ground, all those waiting to depart at 27R were monitoring the reported winds for both runways to see if at any point they fell within their permitted takeoff parameters. Heathrow was departing on the north runway, which had significantly worse wind than the South, so no-one was leaving.

A few pilots started asking for south runway departures so they started queueing down there, and some made it out, but the winds were changing so much they frequently seemed to be outside of their accepted parameters, and fuel and crew hours were clearly a problem.

It seemed, depending on wind direction, most aircraft were limited to around 25kts with gusts up to 38kts. Though you'd think it would probably be just a formality at that point of adherence to their companies operating procedures, as there probably wouldn't be much difference at fluctuations of 1 or 2kt gusts when the winds are already that high??

At near midnight, Heathrow tower broadcasted the conditions as having increased to something like "30kts gusting 49", and after a moment of silence, a pilot just said "can we go home now?" and most returned to stand saying they were giving up for the night

But I heard a few go over after that, so clearly some waited it out.

It made for truly fascinating viewing/listening, thanks FR24 and Icom!!

Dave Wilson
24th Dec 2013, 09:43
Xwind limits for most commercial jets are surprisingly high, I think a 747 is around 40kts take off and 36 kts landing although I'm not a commercial pilot so don't quote me. The difference is that a companies SOP may be a lot lower than manufacturers recommended limits to give a built in fudge factor. Compare a 747 to a Cessna 152, xwind limit 12 kts...although having said that in the POH it does say 'demonstrated xwind limit' which is not the same as 'Maximum xwind limit.'

joy ride
24th Dec 2013, 10:56
Presumably the accurate weather forecast indicated to airlines and crews the wisdom of carrying a little extra fuel!

Gonzo
24th Dec 2013, 12:00
Don't forget, crosswind limits will be lower when the runway is wet: That was the problem last night.

At near midnight, Heathrow tower broadcasted the conditions as having increased to something like "30kts gusting 49", and after a moment of silence, a pilot just said "can we go home now?" and most returned to stand saying they were giving up for the night

I'm famous!:p

Charley B
24th Dec 2013, 12:47
It was the same at LGW last night....many diverts to Man ,BHX etc..think one EZY went to AMS. a few landed in the terrible weather..well done to all ATC at LGW (and LHR) and the pilots that were out there!
Sorry Gonzo...I missed your moment of fame...need a stronger scanner:)
Just a bit too far out to hear the LHR Twr:(

getonittt
24th Dec 2013, 13:10
At the other end of last nights problems I was listening on BHX tower as the last divert of the night landed in lashing rain , an A320 on a GLA-LGW shuttle. He first asked the tower if he could have a jetty stand which was swiftly replied in the negative. After a while he was told to taxi behind the 'follow me' to Taxiway T for parking. he said " Park on the taxiway?" the controller said " Yes behind the Cyprus A320" . " so we are here for the night then? " he asked to which the controller replied "ummm yes" . She went on to say " To put things in perspective you see that Speedbird 767 on your right ? That landed at 23.00 (it was now 01.10) and has not fully deplaned yet , that's what your up against! "
It was a fascinating night but I really felt for all pax and crew aswell as the ground staff Especially on One of the diverted aircraft was a Thomson 757 en route from Lapland to LGW , a santa flight for the kids...

EGLD
24th Dec 2013, 14:41
I'm famous!

haha!! :ok:

tascats
24th Dec 2013, 15:59
Not my video, but nice bit of video of a crosswind takeoff from very windy Sumburgh today...

Hats off to the pilots - a Saab 340 taking off from Sumburgh Airport, Shetland on 24 Dec 2013 on Vimeo

spekesoftly
24th Dec 2013, 17:11
We'll be getting 'it was terrifying taxiing to the gate, the captain had to make the aircraft turn on the taxiway' next...An aposite comment after recent events at Joburg ;)

Dave Wilson
24th Dec 2013, 18:03
Didn't think of that, good call!

llondel
24th Dec 2013, 20:40
<<If it hadn't been for the engines you could have heard a pin drop,>>

Next time he ought to get them to switch off the engines....

My reading of what took place when this really did happen is that if you turn off the engines in mid-air, the cabin does go really quiet, especially after the captain has had words.