PDA

View Full Version : Unstable, go around ?

radiosutch
23rd Dec 2013, 17:24
I see this Blueisland was on the nosewheel after eventually landing. Looks like he should have gone around but I'm not a ATPL holder so I wonder what any ATR pilots think?
channelonline.tv - News, Weather & Information for the Channel Islands (http://www.channelonline.tv/channelonline/)

mixture
23rd Dec 2013, 18:29
Unstable, go around ?

Are you seriously expecting a stable approach in gusty conditions ? :rolleyes:

Sunnyjohn
23rd Dec 2013, 20:40
I think he was asking if there should have been a go-around.

Basil
23rd Dec 2013, 21:13
Watching closely, nose down elevator was applied when the main wheels were on the ground. I am guessing that the airspeed was higher than normal to cope with low level windshear and the tailplane produced just enough lift to momentarily raise the main gear off the ground and then they made contact again.
I'd say that, once it was on the ground, the pilot made a good decision to leave it there.

flarepilot
23rd Dec 2013, 23:32
I looked at this video and it does seem to me that the mains hit the ground first at 0005

what is a stable approach:

on speed and sink rate

adjusting for conditions is part of the game

I agree with basil that the plane appears a bit fast, but without the airspeed indicator to look at,its just a bit of a guess. they are down, safe and the plane seems to be able to be used again without mx.

a good landing by all definitions.

BOAC
24th Dec 2013, 07:47
radiosutch - as Sunnyjohn has pointed out, that was your question but your title was possibly slightly mis-leading - I assume you are referring to the 'nosewheel incident' which was not part of the 'approach'.

Since a 'normal' touchdown on the runway was achieved, I think the balance of opinion is no, assuming of course no company or aircraft limits were exceeded (in a non-emergency situation). The actual 'approach' appears to have been well handled and typical of approaches in lighter aircraft in those conditions and would have been very hard work.

As Basil has pointed out it looks like a 'fast' approach flown that way because of the conditions, which brings the risk of either 'skipping' or raising the tail due to elevator application on the ground.