View Full Version : Why is Ozrunways using so much memory?

Flying Ted
22nd Dec 2013, 20:24
I'm a great fan of Ozrunways but it seems to use up far more memory than 2gb they mention on their site.

I have a 16GB Ipad 2 and had exceed its capacity. I dumped a lot of stuff I didn't use much and then found Ozrunways has taking up 9GB of the Apps space. I cleaned out the old files and this got it down to 7GB but this still seems to be way too much.

Any tips?

Cheers FT

Capt Claret
22nd Dec 2013, 20:43
FT,

I've just checked mine. 3.6 Gb and I've got everything but PNG & NZ downloaded.

fujii
22nd Dec 2013, 21:00
I have the same iPad as you. Oz Runways uses 2.6 GB. Obvious question, but have you deleted all the out of date information?

VH-XXX
22nd Dec 2013, 21:07
It is most likely because you have downloaded all of the maps and terrain. I'm tipping that you don't need them all. The 2gb is a little optimistic and outdated given the size of some of the new maps and features, however as Fujii says, 2.6'ish is achievable.

A fresh install with the basic maps that you need would be a good starting point to start fresh and potentially increase reliability of the iPad and OZR too.

717tech
22nd Dec 2013, 21:54
Delete your track history. I deleted mine the other day and it saved me about 250MB!!

Biggest mistake I made with the iPad is buy the 16GB when I could've got the 32GB for an extra $150 :ugh:

mcoates
23rd Dec 2013, 01:00
Call them up and ask Bas, he is always helpful !

Capt Claret
23rd Dec 2013, 01:46
I use a mini in flight with an iPad 4 as backup, both have OzRunways with all the data downloaded except for PNG & NZ.

Clearing the Cache (Settings > Cache Management) sees the iPad Usage report 2.5 GB on the iPad4 and 3GB on the mini. Why there's a difference between the two, I don't know but usage is half Ted's.

Flying Ted
23rd Dec 2013, 10:18
So I cleared my old files out, cleared my track history. This got me down to 5gb. Then I deleted all the terrain tiles and this got down to 3.6gb.

It stills seems too much for a modest selection of maps, ERSA, AIP and DAPS.

Cheers FT

Shagpile
23rd Dec 2013, 21:12
That figure is probably about right now. The website probably needs updating. The 250k topo is the biggest and uses 1.6gb alone.
If in doubt you could delete the app & reinstall it from the App Store.

FGD135
23rd Dec 2013, 23:12
Flying Ted,

Are you actually noticing any performance problems with the iPad?

The operating system, iOS7, may just be caching some or all of your data files, giving an inflated representation of how much memory the app is using.

I am not an iPad expert.