PDA

View Full Version : I can scarcely believe this, but I'm the owner of another shard of metal. But . . .

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2013, 04:16
The Asus is much like the one I returned back to Bust Buy, but with one major difference. It cost 245 quid.

However, this UX31A has been set back to W7, and while the drivers seem to operate the Fn keys, (unlike my Sony) it does not give any sound when HDMI'd to me telly. The other one worked out of the box.

I can get Control Panel - Sound - and see two different kinds of speakers in the box, but there is no mention of HDMI, disabled or not. Showing unused devices is no help, they are already ticked.

One of the main reason for going back to this high performance model is its ability to show NetFix in HD. Very impressed, but a chocolate teapot if there's no sound.

Any ideas?

EDIT WITH SOME RESULTS:

If I disable the current operating sound system from 'Sound' or via the volume control, it hops to the other sound system. It's a workaround, (phew) but the other one simply worked. So, still interested to know if it's doable without fiddling.

finncapt
21st Dec 2013, 08:54
Sound over hdmi can often be a pain.

The fact that there is no hdmi sound setting does not mean you don't have it - if you get the thing configured correctly, it will, as if by magic, give that option

It may require adjusting a bios setting, a graphics card setting, updated drivers (sound and or graphics), the hdmi cable has to support sound - not all do, and the monitor must be set to receive sound over hdmi - it may even need enabling in W7 - I can't remember.

I would start from one end of the chain and work toward the other - if it's doable you will eventually solve it.

Reread your post and I realise you are using the laptop monitor - delete the unnecessary suggestions.

Loose rivets
21st Dec 2013, 15:58
Thanks for that. Yep, a laptop, but with posh sound.

The first clue all was well with the cable and telly was the test button on the Samsung symbol. The nice test tones saved me trogging off to the store to borrow a lead. Now, it's just trying to leave both options on at the same time. Given it's only to watch a film or two, it's not a huge burden.