PDA

View Full Version : Pakistan pilot's sandwich demand delays flight by over 2 hours

Mark in CA
20th Dec 2013, 11:42
Scheduled flight from Lahore to New York via Manchester delayed 2.5 hours so the pilot could have a sandwich delivered to the flight deck.

Foodie PIA pilot delays flight for sandwiches by two hours (http://ibnlive.in.com/news/foodie-pia-pilot-delays-flight-for-sandwiches-by-two-hours/439738-2.html)

probes
20th Dec 2013, 11:55
Well, butThe captain remained adamant about his demand and said no matter how much time it would take he needed sandwiches at any cost, it said.
- who would survive on "peanuts, chips and biscuits" anyway? :E

Agaricus bisporus
20th Dec 2013, 13:00
Clearly there's more to this than has been reported, but reading between the lines it looks as if the crew catering has recently been reduced and the Capt on the day decided that what they had was insufficient. Having been there on many occasions where I've been lied to and bamboozled to go by Ops with insufficient or no catering I have a great deal of sympathy with the principle, though can't comment on this specific case.

You can't despatch to New York with insufficient fuel for the plane. What makes anyone think it is acceptable to despatch with insufficient fuel for the crew?

Crew food has been the biggest bone of contention in my company for over a decade and has caused more morale problems than everything else put together yet for some reason airlines seem to think they can play fast and loose with our fuel. It is a miniscule cost in the overall scheme of things yet has an utterly disporportionate effect on crew morale and raises more passions than almost anything else.

Silly PIA

Own goal by the sound of things, and well done the skipper.

African pilots
20th Dec 2013, 13:02
Well sometimes you put your feet down firm and loose sight of the big picture, but thats what the other pilot next to you is there for.

despegue
20th Dec 2013, 13:28
Well done Skipper!

Do not let catering detriorate! It is our only way to remain healthy, it is a morale booster or crusher and without enough food for the crew, safety is affected.

Mark in CA
20th Dec 2013, 13:32
I was under the impression that flight crew ate the first class meals, with different servings for captain and first officer in case of food poisoning or something.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
20th Dec 2013, 14:40
A key point here is that the catering company contacted management, who approved the pilot's request.

I have seen poor aircrew rations be a contributing factor to a near loss of an RAF aircraft. I even, as a Station Flight Safety Officer, insisted exercise rations be improved before flying continued and was backed up by the Staish.
It's rarely a problem, but it could be a major problem.

Anansis
20th Dec 2013, 16:32
I am sure there is more to this than is being reported, particularly as flight ops in Karachi approved the request (and subsequent delay). The fact that a Boots butty wasn't good enough and the caterers had to get a sandwich from a hotel suggests a specific dietary requirement. Nut allergy perhaps? Gluten intolerence? Diabetes?

Hats off to the pilot. I'd rather be delayed a couple of hours than comprimise the in flight health of my pilot...

flarepilot
20th Dec 2013, 19:07
Flight delayed hours for pilot's sandwich delivery | Fox News (http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2013/12/20/flight-delayed-hours-for-pilot-sandwich-delivery/?intcmp=features)

Lone_Ranger
20th Dec 2013, 19:23
Good for him:D

davidjohnson6
20th Dec 2013, 19:34
I've never been to Lahore airport now have I any knowledge of PIA. Most airports with long haul flights have cafes selling food. Would there have been any possibility of ordering a sandwich from a cafe in the departures area at Lahore rather than from a hotel ?

bubbers44
20th Dec 2013, 19:59
I'm sure his passengers were highly impressed with his priorities of their flight.

JamesGBC
20th Dec 2013, 20:36
The PIA management has revised the menu on international and long-haul flights as a cost-saving campaign and sandwiches were replaced with peanuts, chips and biscuits.:ugh:
Next cost cut less fuel safety checks missed.

flyhardmo
20th Dec 2013, 23:29
The Pilot was probably making a point to some accountant who decided that we can save 40cents by reducing catering for crew which over 100yrs will save us xxxmillions of dollars. The 2.5hr delay certainly cost them well over that much in missed connections/missed slots/possible re-route etc.

To the accountants,
when will you get a formula in your books for goodwill and efficiency because you looked after your crew versus the costs of pissing them off and getting the above sort of reactions.

TWT
20th Dec 2013, 23:51
He only wanted sandwiches (as per previous arrangements),not a 3 course hot meal.Pretty clear he was making a point and rightly so,IMHO.If he had brought in a home cooked meal to eat later,it would probably have been confiscated at security anyway.If I chartered a 50 seat bus for a trip,I would make damn sure the driver(s) were well fed and rested.With an aircraft,the stakes are much higher,and to penny pinch on sustenance for the crew is sheer insanity

bedsted
21st Dec 2013, 00:30
Many years ago now but I remember a retired BA guy taking a direct LHS at our outfit to fly just as a hobby. One day he delayed the inbound schedule 90 mins or so to go to the terminal for his lunch as his crew meal was not to his liking.

llondel
21st Dec 2013, 01:21
At least he didn't demand a supply of lemon-soaked paper napkins.:E

They'd still be waiting if that was the case.

GrahamO
21st Dec 2013, 05:38
To the accountants,
when will you get a formula in your books for goodwill and efficiency because you looked after your crew versus the costs of pissing them off and getting the above sort of reactions.

Here, I'll FTFY

To the Pilots

when will you get your attitude sorted because you personally delayed several hundred people because of your arrogance not because of a sandwich. A sandwich which could be obtained from the airport terminal in five minutes.

The passengers would quite rightly not be upset at the accountants but at the pilot who seemed to think that two and half hours to get a specific sandwich rather than a perfectly edible one from the airport terminal.

wiggy
21st Dec 2013, 06:05
The passengers would quite rightly not be upset at the accountants but at the pilot who seemed to think that two and half hours to get a specific sandwich rather than a perfectly edible one from the airport terminal.

Do we know with any degree of certainty that a perfectly edible and much more importantly acceptable sandwich from a hygiene POV was available from that particular terminal - just asking?

Crew food has been the biggest bone of contention in my company for over a decade and has caused more morale problems than everything else put together yet for some reason airlines seem to think they can play fast and loose with our fuel.

Ab :ok: (sounds like we're at the same airline)

To the outsider I know a sandwich seems trivial in the scheme of things but given sector lengths (long haul) or number of meals per month provided by the company (short haul...but not all short haul ;)) the quality and standard crew catering is becoming an emotive issue these days at many airlines. Unlike the catering manager and or accountant we don't have much choice in where we eat during our working day.l

edsbar
21st Dec 2013, 06:57
That's a long time to get a bacon sandwich ..... :)

Hotel Tango
21st Dec 2013, 08:50
I'm sure his passengers were highly impressed with his priorities of their flight.

It's one thing flying relatively short sectors with stops at airports that provide plenty and varied food options as in the US, but another embarking on an 8-10 hour sector with only biscuits, potato chips and peanuts? That's comparing apples with pears.

A Squared
21st Dec 2013, 09:56
Things aren't always what they seem. This account suggests that the food order wasn't for the pilot, but for passengers, and that the story has been misrepresented intentionally due to ongoing disputes Plagued minds working to denigrate PIA's WFC | Business Recorder (http://www.brecorder.com/business-a-economy/189/1265088/)

scotbill
21st Dec 2013, 10:07
So let's not be so quick to leap to the attack on the basis of stories in the media

flarepilot
22nd Dec 2013, 10:21
I heard it was a reuben sandwich. trouble was they couldn't find a reuben, so they had to send out for one.

Dave Wilson
22nd Dec 2013, 22:52
I even, as a Station Flight Safety Officer

Totally OT but my flying buddy is SFSO at a well known base. He was asked what his contribution to flight safety was, 'Staying on the ground' was the overwhelming reply...:)

flash8
23rd Dec 2013, 01:40
Engineers should have done an external check during this time, would have been there a whole lot longer than 2 hours.

Petulance isn't something I for one would appreciate, no matter how much it is spun.

Di_Vosh
23rd Dec 2013, 12:25
At least he didn't demand a supply of lemon-soaked paper napkins.

They'd still be waiting if that was the case.

ROFLMAO!

Not sure everyone will get that reference. :ok:

UK019
1st Jan 2014, 13:28
llondel, Di_Vosh - as far as I remember, the delay was over 900 years.

Trans-Stellar Space Lines never could get it right.

Return to your seat ... Return to your seat ....

;)

Yeager
2nd Jan 2014, 02:12
As a Commander of an airliner you have privileges and responsibilities. And there can only be on such designated person on any one flight.

Now, good judgment calls rarely come from any bean-counter's chair - where the worst possible damage that could happen, would be sliding down the chair and butt hit the floor - his own butt, that is. Nothing more.

Your ATPL licence (privilege&responsibility), hereunder passengers, crew and aircraft responsibilities, comes first - always first.
Secondly, comes the pay check and employment, hereunder employee responsibilities and company.
With no licence - there is no job.

Passengers and/or bean counters are not expected to fully understand these facts - The Pilot in Command is, and he solely makes the final decisions, whether it's regarding food, weather or a malfunctioned aircraft etc.

Enjoy the sandwiches and happy NY.