PDA

View Full Version : Navy Nearing Critical Mass

Courtney Mil
19th Dec 2013, 08:02
CDS says, "We're All Dommed".

BBC News - Top general warns over 'hollowed-out' armed forces (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25440814)

The Army will lose 20,000 soldiers, the Navy 6,000 personnel and the RAF 5,000.

Si Clik
19th Dec 2013, 08:09
I would have gone with doomed but perhaps you comment is more pertinent. I note that 1SL has gone all defensive but I suppose he has to?

Party Animal
19th Dec 2013, 08:20
Well said sir. Also nice to see a green CDS defending the dark blue corner and not just trying to stop the cuts to the Army.

Interestingly, an old mate popped round last weekend during his Christmas family (parents) visit from Dubai. We talked a lot about Gulf airline recruitment and how the aviation industry is massively expanding in the region. The airline he works for is about to either buy or receive 100 additional aircraft with a 6:1 manning ratio.

That's a helluva lot of extra pilots required and they will certainly be looking at the BZN area to fill up slots. Not sure it's everyones cup of tea but the jobs are definitely coming at the same time as the new pension etc kicks in.

One to watch for sure.....

Courtney Mil
19th Dec 2013, 08:20
Yeah, I meant "doomed", but it's early.

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2013, 09:08
Nearing critical mass? From the South perhaps. Launch a CVS and that is it.

Nice to see dark blue enjoying themselves in Barbados last month.

Heathrow Harry
19th Dec 2013, 09:36
His main point was that too much money is spent on kit and not enough on the human element

as ever we're always short of the Poor Bloody Infantry when a war starts

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2013, 10:01
His main point was that too much money is spent on kit and not enough on the human element

Round and round goes the ruddy great wheel

In and out goes the shaft of steel

:)

I remember about 40 years ago that the then CAS was horrified that the pay bill was at or greater than 50% of the budget. At the time we were buying C130, F4, Buccaneer, Jaguar, Nimrod, etc etc but STILL he wanted less for pay and more for kit.

Cows getting bigger
19th Dec 2013, 10:05
In the real world (ie business), if your total salary bill is more than about 30% of turnover you take a really good look at your staff costs.

Party Animal
19th Dec 2013, 10:07
It will be interesting if we buy an MMA in 2018. Not only will you need an uplift of significant numbers of WSO's and WSOps, you also need a training system that can handle them.

Sounds like reliance on the Navy to fill those slots could be even more challenging!

Surplus
19th Dec 2013, 10:58
In the real world (ie business), if your total salary bill is more than about 30% of turnover you take a really good look at your staff costs. Which is why the Airlines would prefer the RAF to train their pilots for them and why the RAF has to pay to keep them.

NutLoose
19th Dec 2013, 11:30
Which is why the Airlines would prefer the RAF to train their pilots for them and why the RAF has to pay to keep them.

Very few airlines train their pilots, they do it off their own back, it's only when they have got their ATPL etc that airlines look at them, true the odd ones do sponsorships, but it's a small portion of the total.
Heck several of my friends have even paid for their own 737 type ratings etc.

Don't the likes of RyanAir not even employ their pilots, but do it through a third party company? and then employ them as contract pilots, I read a tale of somewhere on pprune about a chap who had enough of them, he'd applied and been accepted elsewhere so took leave, on his holiday he did his training for the Middle east airline and was on line, and on what would have been his first day back never arrived for his flight, Ryan Air phoned him to be told that he had left and was was working elsewhere now, they went on about working notice etc until he pointed out he was a contractor so could leave as and when he decided.

I suppose they could make everyone up to Act Sqn Ldr paid as they did to stop those jumping VC 10's in the past..

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Dec 2013, 11:57

They had a jolly in the Philippines quite recently as well.

Pontius Navigator
19th Dec 2013, 12:04
In the real world (ie business), if your total salary bill is more than about 30% of turnover you take a really good look at your staff costs.

Quite, but in the Services manpower is an essential part of equipment.

If you need 4 men to fill a hole but you can only afford 2 of them then you don't get the hole filled unless you buy more equipment.

faarn
19th Dec 2013, 13:59
Originally posted by GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator

They had a jolly in the Philippines quite recently as well.

Looks like everyone is on a jolly at the moment!

Sir Frank Williams, Red Arrows discuss jets and F1 (http://www.gulf-times.com/qatar/178/details/371114/sir-frank-williams,-red-arrows-discuss-jets-and-f1)

:ok:

Courtney Mil
19th Dec 2013, 14:21
No, no, no. The Reds are flying the flag for the UK and the RAF. The Navy in Barbados are on a jolly.

Tourist
19th Dec 2013, 15:03
I hardly think that the RN carrying out its primary role can be called a jolly Courtney.

N2erk
19th Dec 2013, 15:04
Agree with Courtney. I think I read that an RFA ship is going to visit Cuba soon. I wish I was. Definite jolly. In my day only the Bears got to go to Cuba.
Wonder if the Helms-Burton act will apply and the RN will get sued by the US. That would sure cut into the RN's budget.

Courtney Mil
19th Dec 2013, 15:19
Sorry, Tourist, I forgot to add the ":E"

Ah, Cuba. The rum 'n' cigar run.

Tourist
19th Dec 2013, 15:37
I was referring to the RNs primary peacetime role of having world class cocktail parties. What did you think I was talking about?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
19th Dec 2013, 15:39
Be fair - the RN also held world class cocktail parties during the Cold War - I went to a few.
You fight how you train:ok:

Wetstart Dryrun
19th Dec 2013, 15:40
aahhh... ship.

target we used to call them.

wets

FODPlod
19th Dec 2013, 15:57
No, no, no. The Reds are flying the flag for the UK and the RAF. The Navy in Barbados are on a jolly.

No RN ships in Barbados at the moment.

HMS Lancaster left earlier this month. During her seven-month deployment in the western Atlantic, she and her 815 NAS Lynx have exploited the environmental conditions, facilities and forces available in the area to conduct valuable weapons training and tactical development trials. She also visited all six British Overseas Territories, took part in the multinational exercise UNITAS, seized almost £160 million of illegal drugs, provided hurricane cover and undertook several civil aid projects and charitable work. She worked with many of the navies, other defence forces and law enforcement agencies in the area while conducting 'regional defence engagement', demonstrating the UK’s continued commitment to the region. I daresay the odd tot of Mountgay rum was consumed along the way, too.

In the meantime, the Red Arrows...? ;)

N2erk
19th Dec 2013, 16:04
Wow- 160 mega-quid of non-inventory drugs and mountgay rum.:mad: That must have been quite a party! Harr, jim lad...:ouch:

CoffmanStarter
19th Dec 2013, 16:21
Shush ... Can you hear the clack clack of a keyboard in Grenada :E

Memo inbound ... might even be a Demi Official job :uhoh:

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
19th Dec 2013, 23:17
Ah, CoffmanStarter; how long will the Demi Official last now that JSP 101 has become just a "guide"?