PDA

View Full Version : Who next as "the World's (elder) statesman"...?

airship
17th Dec 2013, 16:10
After the demise of Nelson Mandela and practically 100% of the World's media elevating this one man to almost God-like status recently, I was un-surprised to see this BBC article about who might now replace Him (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22389954), as apparently, we and the wider World (after "they"), inevitably need a replacement, at least whilst Jesus Christ, Mohammed etc. remain absent...

But why an "elder" statesman, why not just a "statesman", whatever their age...?!

My 1st vote would go to Edward Snowden (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25399345). :ok:

My 2nd vote would go to ex. UK PM Tony Blair, "for following blindly as any puppy would" in unquestioning support of "mummy = USA"...?! :E

Unfortunetly, noone else (of the "elderly kind") springs to mind immediately. But both Edward Snowden and /or Bradley Manning may one day still be hailed as heroes (having served suitably-long prison sentences), if not on Robben Island, somewhere else...?! And whether or not these places are under the control (even by 'nth degree) by our own "democratically-elected governments", or if "they" eventually behave as a "free press" should, instead of "cowtowing" to the wishes of their owners/publishers and politico cohorts...?! :}

Fox3WheresMyBanana
17th Dec 2013, 16:16
I would be happy for the BBC to eulogise Tony Blair's demise - Can they arrange it for next week?

charliegolf
17th Dec 2013, 16:22
Tony Blair

A non-military man for whom I'd happily pay my taxes to have a military funeral!

CG

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 16:23
airship:

there is no Bradley Manning. She is now known as Chelsea Manning. WTF is wrong with you, can 't you get your genders right? :}:}:}

Lonewolf_50
17th Dec 2013, 16:44
But why an "elder" statesman, why not just a "statesman", whatever their age...?!
agree
My 1st vote would go to Edward Snowden (http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=1e857e7500cdd32403f752206c297a3d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast%2F530119-who-next-worlds-elder-statesman.html&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fworld-us-canada-25399345&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast-16%2F). http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif
You voted for a moral coward. Nice job there, airship. :p

The SSK
17th Dec 2013, 16:52
Well, if Aung San Suu Kyi managed to get elected as Prime Minister of Burma (which she surely would in free and fair elections) and then preside over a bloodless transformation of the country into a peaceful democracy, then she would be a contender.

There are just one or two (hundred) blokes in military uniforms and dark glasses standing in her way.

StressFree
17th Dec 2013, 16:52
Caco,

Well said sir :D:D:D

LEGAL TENDER
17th Dec 2013, 16:54
Silvio Berlusconi ;)

cavortingcheetah
17th Dec 2013, 17:01
Unequivocally Robert Mugabe, the grand old man of Africa and of action diplomacy. He has run rings around the leaders of every white government with which he has ever come into contact. He is a man venerated throughout black Africa, whose example terrifies whites throughout continent. A statesman of talent and acumen who has managed to destroy the economics of a once great country whilst still ensuring that his people worship him enough to keep him in office. Yes indeed, Robert Mugabe is the elder statesman of the world, one whose authority and power not even the ravages of old age have been able to diminish.

Lonewolf_50
17th Dec 2013, 17:05
Well, if Aung San Suu Kyi managed to get elected as Prime Minister of Burma (which she surely would in free and fair elections) and then preside over a bloodless transformation of the country into a peaceful democracy, then she would be a contender.
I'd side with you if she were actually a statesman/stateswoman.
But I think she has it in her to be one, given the chance you laid out.

EDIT:
Cavortingcheetah wins this thread. Well played, sir! :ok:

500N
17th Dec 2013, 17:14
I saw Aung San Suu Kyi on TV here the other day.

She is going to be a statesperson, they way she conducts herself.

I don't think the Myanmar military will stand in her way.

airship
17th Dec 2013, 17:24
Silvio Berlusconi ;). Hmmm, and perhaps what we "21st Century democrats" deserve finally...?! ;)

Apart from LEGAL TENDER and The SSK, noone else has yet suggested any truly viable "pretenders to the Throne"...?!

So far as Aung San Suu Kyi is concerned, whilst she might well have been confined to "house arrest" for many years, she's yet to display any enduring qualities or accomplishments since. Plus, she's a woman?!

Fer Christ's (Mohammed's or anyone else's) sake, will humanity have to endure a complete desert for the lifetime of the next generation before someone else is appointed..?!

That seems reasonable. After all, we usually elect politicians and their parties into government - to rule us and enact legislation for the betterment of us (even better if it also benefits others in other less-fortunate countries) all. IMHO, no current freely-elected western European ruler could aspire to that description. They're all "tops" at swiftly bringing discord, distracting the general population from more pressing "economic" matters. Blaming it all on immigrants, misfits and long-forgotten heroes.

What bothers me is how so many of them are so very young. David Cameron for a start, should be made to stand in the corner for a few hours before re-attending Parliamentary questions...?! :E

obgraham
17th Dec 2013, 17:30
Al Gore.

Just ask him.

500N
17th Dec 2013, 17:33
"So far as Aung San Suu Kyi is concerned, whilst she might well have been confined to "house arrest" for many years, she's yet to display any enduring qualities or accomplishments since. Plus, she's a woman?!"

Airship

TWO things.

1. She hasn't exactly had much time to show "enduring qualities"
2. Plus, she's a woman?!"
I can't believe you said that. WTF does it matter.

She, a slight figure of a woman outlasted many generals and the regime
and with others effectively peacefully forced them to change from a closed
dictatorship to a far more open society.

G-CPTN
17th Dec 2013, 17:58
Wee Eck (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/9634673/Wee-Eck-will-struggle-to-bluff-his-way-out-of-this-tight-spot.html) (if he manages to pull off Independence for the Scots).

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 18:21
I realize I may very well catch hell for this but I would put forth the name of....
Jimmy Carter as the world's elder statesman.

I know he sucked as a president but he is a good man and has his heart in everything he does. I don't think there's a lying bone in his body and I think he's a man of sincere and honest character with a lot of integrity thrown in for good measure.

tony draper
17th Dec 2013, 18:25
Nearly all the great men are dead, and I'm not feeling very well meself.:rolleyes:

vulcanised
17th Dec 2013, 20:53
he's a man of sincere and honest character with a lot of integrity thrown in for good measure.

Totally unsuited to political office then. :rolleyes:

Andu
17th Dec 2013, 21:33
There'll be a delusional few - who unfortunately, will include about 95% of our so-called "journalists" and television "presenters" here in Australia - who, after his demise, will try to beat up the life and times of, until seven years ago, by far the worst Prime Minister ever to 'run/ruin' Australia, one Edward Gough Whitlam, who is currently (stand by for screams of outrage from the Left) occupying one of the chairs towards the front of God's waiting room.

The poor man was toppled from the high platform he occupied, seemingly forever unassailable, as Australia's worst Prime Minister, not once, but twice, by the last two Prime Ministers of Australia from the same Party. And judging by the aspirants they have currently waiting in the wings, that same Party is currently doing its best to slip the poor man to #4 position.

I fear that, when he eventually goes to God, the smaltz feast and slaverin meedja adoration we will be forced to endure here in Australia will make the last two weeks (or did it only seem to be two weeks?) of Nelsonmania pale in comparison.

Look on the bright side, those of you in the rest of the world - you'll be spared it.

G-CPTN
17th Dec 2013, 21:53
Gough Whitlam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gough_Whitlam).

1975 constitutional crisis. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis)

The rest (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Australia#List).

Their achievements (good and bad) are listed.

500N
17th Dec 2013, 21:57
Without a doubt he is going to be put on a pedestal.

500N
17th Dec 2013, 22:00
Yes, that is often something they get wrong when talking about Whitlam.

Edit
It seems the posts got switched about.

Andu
17th Dec 2013, 22:00
Like much in Wikipedia, it is wrong. The last Australian troops (apart from the embassy guard, who remained there until 1975) were withdrawn almost a year before Whitlam assumed power.

radeng
17th Dec 2013, 22:35
Mary Robinson. One of the few 'presidents' worthy of any respect or honour.

Clare Prop
17th Dec 2013, 23:56
The Dalai Lama

Matari
18th Dec 2013, 01:21
I'd say that "elder statesman" connotes some moral authority, vs. someone who rose to power by hook or crook. I don't think sleazeballs need any more recognition -- their actions speak for themselves.

The remaining cold warriors are fitting candidates for "elder statesmen." They fought the good fight, were hugely unpopular in academia and pop culture, viscously attacked by the left, but kept their eye on the prize. We all owe them a huge debt of gratitude.

Helmut Kohl comes to mind, as do Natan Sharansky, George Schultz and Jim Baker. There were many other brave men and women; most passed into obscurity.

John Hill
18th Dec 2013, 03:20
George Dubbya Bush, an example to us all.... but of what?

Matari
18th Dec 2013, 03:45
Fashion sense....never saw him wear a Mao suit.

ex_matelot
18th Dec 2013, 04:00
I am not inclined to log on often nowadays.
I have been moved to now though:
Airship...take your head for a wobble.

Salute to Tony etc..

rh200
18th Dec 2013, 04:21
Sarah Palin (be still my beating heart) least she's entertaining and easy on the eye. :p

Helle ( who cares what her last name is ) from Denmark.:p

Yinglick, or was that Yingluck from Thailand :E

If there was such an award you couldn't get any air time to promote anyone else as Kevin Rudd would be running around all over the world jumping in front of the cameras say "pick me"

Capetonian
18th Dec 2013, 04:29
I'd probably go for Robbing Mugape for the same reasons (all wrong of course!) as CC.
Phony Tony did a pretty good job of conning the world too, but didn't quite manage to single handedly wreck an entire nation and the lives of millions of people on the same scale. Given time he may well have done so.

500N
18th Dec 2013, 04:34
Has anyone mentioned Bill Clinton ?

And while on the subject of Presidents, I am sure Obama is going
to try to become a statesman.

Nervous SLF
18th Dec 2013, 04:39
I know that this "person" is young but surely someone will nominate the fat kid from North Korea ? I am sure he plans
to be in charge for many more years to come.

Nervous SLF
18th Dec 2013, 04:41
And while on the subject of Presidents, I am sure Obama is going
to try to become a statesman.

Was sent this quote a few hours ago:-

“Nelson Mandela is a leader who Barack Obama should try to emulate.
He could start by spending 27 years in prison.” -- Don Imus

Andu
18th Dec 2013, 04:41
I am sure Obama is going to try to become a statesman.I am sure there are many wishing and hoping he becomes one sooner rather than later... so long as he's doing so an an ex-President.

Edited to add that you beat me to it, and with a far better riposte than I came up with, Nervous.

obgraham
18th Dec 2013, 04:45
The Dalai LamaI know a lot of folks in Western countries think highly of this fellow. But just WHAT has he ever done?

Except jet around and have smiling pictures taken with bigshots everywhere.

500N
18th Dec 2013, 04:48
Very good indeed.

:D

parabellum
18th Dec 2013, 04:57
Really surprised no one has mentioned Lee Kuan Yew yet. Ruled with a fist of iron because he knew what would become of Singapore if he didn't. Probably the least corrupt government in the Far East and one of the most successful countries, given they have no mineral wealth, yet leave countries like Malaysia, Thailand and Indonesia back at the starting point.

I'll give a big vote to Aung San Suu Kyi as well.

sitigeltfel
18th Dec 2013, 06:25
Has anyone mentioned Bill Clinton ?

Not in polite company.

Anyway, how about Angela Merkel. More balls than the lot of them. :p

cavortingcheetah
18th Dec 2013, 06:42
Die Merkel? Yes a goodish sort of idea. The only problem in nominating her is that sometime during her political life she has probably had the advantage of career advancement due to a quota system which benefited women. Sexist advantage and discrimination, as men are constantly told, should not be allowed to contribute to personal or professional advancement. Merkel would need to satisfy the nominating panel that her career had been free of advantage from such a very deliberate policy of unfair and discriminatory policy.
This, as a woman, she would clearly not be able to do, and therefore would be ineligible for such a position, forever.

rh200
18th Dec 2013, 08:21
I know a lot of folks in Western countries think highly of this fellow. But just WHAT has he ever done?

Something extremely important that the left refuses to acknowledge, prove that peaceful resistance doesn't work. :p

tony draper
18th Dec 2013, 08:24
Ronnie Biggs? he wasn't a Politician but he was a thieving bastard just like them.
:rolleyes:

Anilv
18th Dec 2013, 10:37
Do we count royals?

If we do, then the current King of Thailand is a rock among his people and is widely respected internationally.

Anil

Pali
23rd Dec 2013, 22:35
Helmut Schmidt is 95 years old. I saw an interview with him today and he is still bright and in good shape.

tony draper
24th Dec 2013, 00:38
I think politicians should never be allowed to get elderly.:suspect: