PDA

View Full Version : Feeling the Cold

OFSO
17th Dec 2013, 15:42
Despite being covered with a not-inconsiderable layer of subcutaneous fat and eating lots of nice calorific food, I feel really cold these winter days. I mentioned this to my German friends at lunch on Sunday and they said also, it used to be enough for them to keep the house at 20c, then 22c, now they like it slightly warmer, maybe 23.

I'm not discussing actual temperatures, just the fact that as my age increases I seem to be getting less tolerant to cold when sitting around at home.

Anyone else ?

Dushan
17th Dec 2013, 15:44
Yes, me too. But my incandescents keep me warm:p

500N
17th Dec 2013, 15:47
OFSO

I used to handle all the cold the UK and military over here could throw at me.
One exception was I didn't like my arms cold but overall I learnt to keep warm.

Now, I can still handle the cold but I find when I am getting tired,
I certainly seem to feel colder than I used to.

So yes, a bit and I am coming up to 50.

Exercise does wonders !!!

Capetonian
17th Dec 2013, 15:48
I know I'll be warm at Christmas with the MiL.

http://www.dragonsofelanthia.com/images/firedrake_illus_lrg.jpg

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 16:12
Ah, Capetonian, I see your MiL may very well be related to my MiL. However, unlike your MiL who seems to exhale fire and brimstone, my MiL exhales 100% pure unadulterated shit.

Capetonian
17th Dec 2013, 16:18
Oh mine does that too ............

http://faceless.co.za/comics/faceless.646.jpg

charliegolf
17th Dec 2013, 16:19
Thread Drift Warning!

The Welsh words for 'wife', and 'dragon', are very similar!

So there you go- proven. QED.

CG

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 16:22
Capetonian:

I like it. I might try it out on my MiL at Christmas in the hopes of her shutting the f**k up for one second. (Doubtful as that is.)

airship
17th Dec 2013, 16:51
OFSO, I don't believe that you're alone...

Ever since I started working mainly from home 6-7 years ago (approx. 1/2 the working day), spending most of the time in front of the PC, I've also been confronted by similar feelings. Although I actually live just 3 minutes walk away from the office, I would somehow always find the excuse (in summer and hot) to have to go into the office and enjoy the (non-smoking) but most importantly "cool" temperature that only companies (or the very rich) can afford these days. Otherwise, working from home in summertime, I'd just strip down to my underpants, making do with a fan...?!

It's different in wintertime of course. The pudicat wantonly sleeps in her bed in front of the 750W ceramic infra-red radiator 50cm away (I enjoy the same heat but about 2m away). But I always try to make a break, do the washing-up, some other physical activity to "raise" my body-temperature, and that usually works.

But I'm at a complete loss to explain why when going to sleep (trying to keep the ambient temp ca. 13-15C) in the bedroom, I sometimes wake up in a sweat (the pillow is literally soaking) sometime later...?! Usually, 1 or 2 pudicats will also snuggle under the duvet with me (natural hot-water bottles) until I drift off.

My only explanation is that, perhaps as we get older, our own bodies gradually-lose the means to "auto-regulate" our body temperatures sufficiently rapidly vis-a-vis local conditions. So that we inevitably either always feel too hot, or too cold...?! But the pudicats always manage to find the warmest spots... :confused:

jimtherev
17th Dec 2013, 17:21
I'm not really thread-drifting to say that I would never use a lappie as my main machine. The desktop (actually, under-desktop) box lives in the kneehole of my desk; the 200W or so it normally uses is quite adequate to keep my lower limbs warm, even when the study is only about 15C - I can always put on a woolly pully.
Oddly enough, it never seems to get unbearably hot in the summer.

OFSO
17th Dec 2013, 17:56
Night-sweats: always had them, no logic as to when and where, can be in winter, in summer, with heavy bedclothes or without.

Dushan: I knew someone would connect my use of cooler lighting to cooler temperatures !

Airship: present cat banned from house as it's a black cat with fur containing the allergin Fel d1 to which I am very allergic. Ginger cats don't, dear old Buster slept in my bed for years with nary a sneeze (him nor me).

Exercise: a fast walk, weights etc warm me up beautifully. But can't be a-doing that all day.

Cape & Rg: my mother in law is a sweetie. Such persons do exist. Have you tried sprinkling Dragonbane around the house ?

Loose rivets
17th Dec 2013, 18:04
I haven't been cold for ten years. I'm dreading coming home. I used to spoil myself in my old home, blazing fires 9 months of the year and Big Bessie on standby should the fire fail to warm the cockles.

I was paying a quid for one of those plastic bags of good coal. I'd mix that with logs to get an almost white hot blaze. Really the only way to have an open fire. Cost me an iron grate a year.

Don't know what I'm going to do when I get back. Probably have to learn to hibernate.

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 18:17
airship wrote:

Otherwise, working from home in summertime, I'd just strip down to my underpants, making do with a fan...?!And with the mental image that statement conjures, ladies and gentlemen, please excuse me whilst I wander off to the bathroom. To shoot myself. :}

Usually, 1 or 2 pudicats will also snuggle under the duvet with me (natural hot-water bottles) until I drift off.

And with this additional mental image this statement also conjures I will not only shoot myself in the bathroom but will drink a gallon of lye before doing so. Thanks airship, whata pal. :}:E

Capetonian
17th Dec 2013, 18:20
airship please, I beg you, NO PHOTOS

rgbrock1
17th Dec 2013, 18:22
I second the motion from Capetonian. Because if you do post photos, airship, I'll have to poke my eyes out. And that would not be a very good thing. :}

vulcanised
17th Dec 2013, 20:57
Big Bessie on standby

Was that the maid?

Big Hammer
17th Dec 2013, 21:09
Often find myself at night needed to be covered by the duvet but at the same time cooling myself by putting my wrists on a cold surface to bring temps down, Not sure how this works?

Capetonian
17th Dec 2013, 21:14
The cold surfaces in our bed are SWMBO's feet, hands, and backside.

probes
17th Dec 2013, 21:17
interesting, OFSO. My spouse (60+) claims his skin has stopped reacting to temperature (due to age, he suspects), as he swims more than he used to and in chillier water than he used to.

airship, don't listen to rgb. He'll survive (the photos). :E Would you, please? (the photos) http://mail.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo19.gif

as for me (60 -... ok, 50+ for Slash and more accurate, too) - I found a good massage really helps to get the blood circulating in one's legs and feet. No need for a labrador to sleep on the blanket (and feet) any more.

Sunnyjohn
17th Dec 2013, 21:58
Well, I'm a skinny with a slow heart rate so I've always had a problem with cold. I'm fine if I keep moving. I get up early for a bike ride and I'm fine on the bike - I just dress for whatever the weather is and once I'm moving, no problems. But as soon as I get back into the casa and sit about, I get cold. Fortunately, I'm a fidget, so I usually find something to do. I do find when we visit the UK that houses, public buildings and public transport are overheated for me. We don't have central heating here, so we just have heat where we're working or eating or whatever and put on more layers of clothing.

radeng
17th Dec 2013, 22:21
I'm definitely feeling that if I don't keep moving, I need the heating up at 21 or 22 C. If I am moving, I can manage at 20C.

Getting old is a bugger, the alternative is worse.............

TomJoad
17th Dec 2013, 22:28
I think it's to do with your circulation/metabolism which is affected by age in turn making you feel colder. Funny watching the kids arrive at school - none of them wearing coats just shirts - crazy. But then again I feel like a grumpy old man if I tell them they should be wearing coats.

OFSO
17th Dec 2013, 22:44
Cape has raised an interesting point. Why do women usually have cold bottoms ? I only knew one woman who didn't and she had a few masculine characteristics, fr'instance a hard muscular body. And don't say it, because where it mattered she was ALL girl and a beautiful one at that.

But mooring in the lee of Bum Island on a cold winter's night is all too often a receipe for freezing one's front off.

Nervous SLF
17th Dec 2013, 23:08
To feel warm all of the time regardless of how cold it is just take prozac for a while. A side effect is that it makes you
think you are warm.

TomJoad
17th Dec 2013, 23:14
Cape has raised an interesting point. Why do women usually have cold bottoms ? I only knew one woman who didn't and she had a few masculine characteristics, fr'instance a hard muscular body. And don't say it, because where it mattered she was ALL girl and a beautiful one at that.

But mooring in the lee of Bum Island on a cold winter's night is all too often a receipe for freezing one's front off.

Err, no polite way of saying this - Fat, its an insulator, keeps the heat in so surface feels cold, it also reduced the conduction of heat away from your hand/front etc.

meadowrun
18th Dec 2013, 01:15
The Thai government has labelled 65 provinces as disaster zones as residents struggle to cope with winter temperatures of 15C (59F).

In the North of the country a cold snap has seen the mercury drop as low as 1C (34F) in rural areas, with towns and city shivering in temperatures of 14C.

The Government is now handing out free warm clothing and winter blankets to chilly residents, and any province which has more than three consecutive days of sub 15C temperatures can apply for emergency funding.

DM

Capetonian
18th Dec 2013, 03:57
This reminds me of hearing the weather forecast on a Miami local radio station one morning driving to work there : "Daytime temperatures in the 80s, but the mercury will plunge to a chilly 60 degrees tonight." (That's 15 in C.)

rgbrock1
18th Dec 2013, 13:27
It was -14C this morning when I went out to the car to dust off the 5" of snow which had fallen yesterday into the evening.

Therefore, those in Miami and Thailand who whine and/or complain about 34F temperatures or, worse, 60F can kiss my lily white ass. :}

dazdaz1
18th Dec 2013, 15:33
My private medical advisor, the eminent Dr. Augusta Balls of Vienna advised me a number of years ago (medical support on South Pole expeditions) that one has to cover the wrists/ankles and head covered, this is where heat loss occurs.

Controversial medical trials (MIT) have suggested the massaging of a single malt whisky to the scrotum area may increase the core body temperature. Hope this info helps.

Daz

ExXB
18th Dec 2013, 16:38
Funny my menopausal wife has her own heating system. Wish I could get her to heat the house though, it does seem to be quite personal.

toffeez
18th Dec 2013, 17:41
It won't wash, OFSO. Mrs Queen doesn't read PPrune, only horsy sites.

She has no intention of sending you more winter fuel payments because of a sob story. You'll have to make do with her 10 xmas pressy.

P.S. did someone say the way to keep hot is to get yourself an 18 year-old housemaid?

OFSO
18th Dec 2013, 17:58
You'll have to make do with her 10 xmas pressy.

I got a bit more than that last year when we all went round the Palace for drinks. Actually no, I didn't. A very small and very cheap glass of something nasty wasn't worth 10. But again, it was b--- freezing there. They have special thermostats that don't go higher than 16c.

FullOppositeRudder
19th Dec 2013, 00:03
It was -14C this morning when I went out to the car to dust off the 5" of snow which had fallen yesterday into the evening.

Therefore, those in Miami and Thailand who whine and/or complain about 34F temperatures or, worse, 60F can kiss my lily white ass. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gifToo bad you can't whip down to southern Australia for a few minutes. Most of South Australia has forecast maximums in the low to mid 40's C for today. Oak Valley is being asked to accept 47C.

I guess it is summer time :\

500N
19th Dec 2013, 00:05
I could do with some of that negative temp.

It's well over mid 30's here already.

"Oak Valley is being asked to accept 47C."

Now that is hot.

Loose rivets
19th Dec 2013, 08:29
Controversial medical trials (MIT) have suggested the massaging of a single malt whisky to the scrotum area may increase the core body temperature.

. . . with one's head resting on the masseur's inner thigh, her warm breath evaporating the newly applied . . . Aaaaaaaagh! What am I saying?

SawMan
19th Dec 2013, 11:29
I'm 55 and have worked a lifetime often being exposed to the WX year-round. Not a problem when younger, but these days it just feels a lot better to avoid the extremes. I've lost quite a lot of my cold tolerance and some heat tolerance but I can still deal with it all if I have to- I'd just rather not :p

OFSO
19th Dec 2013, 13:58
the massaging of a single malt whisky to the scrotum area

Is it all right if I pass it though my kidneys first ?

(That line was borrowed without permission from the joke about the dying Scotsman.)

onetrack
19th Dec 2013, 23:12
OFSO, I have some excellent medical advice for you. When feeling the cold, take two hot young women and retire to bed. If the women are nurses, that's even better. :) :ok:

gingernut
19th Dec 2013, 23:36
Part of the ageing process I'm afraid, ask your doc to check your thyroid blood levels :-)

10Watt
20th Dec 2013, 01:22
16 ? you lucky sod !

Pinky the pilot
20th Dec 2013, 02:59
500N; 1325hrs here in Waikerie South Oz and it's 46C outside under the back verandah. Wind at 10 to 15kt from the north.

rgbrock1; Please note that I am not complaining about the above!:D

How are ya btw?

Edit to add; Got to 48C around 1500 before change arrived. Now at 1615 hrs, 31C, almost 8 octas and CBs to the south and west.