PDA

View Full Version : Book Suggestions on 'Day in the life of a Pilot'...

flytheskies
17th Dec 2013, 14:08
Dear fellow pPruners,

I was looking for a book along the lines of 'a day in the life of a commercial airline pilot' - something with interesting stories and that is insightful into the profession.

If something as such exists - I am interested in hearing about it.

Kind regards,

FTS

4Greens
17th Dec 2013, 18:33
There is only one book. 'Fate is the Hunter' Earnest Gann.

18greens
17th Dec 2013, 22:53
What 4 said. Best airline book ever.

But don't expect any Magenta line stuff. My favourite was the night ILS by match light.

split system breaker
18th Dec 2013, 12:57
You could try "Flying" by Henry Sutton, ISBN 0-340-71735-5.

It's the story of a (fairly!) typical LHR-JFK night stop on a British 747-400, seen from the perspective of a variety of crewmembers.

Not without fault, it's still reasonably well researched; and does capture the mood of long-haul operations.

Discorde
18th Dec 2013, 14:25
'How Airliners Fly' will take you into the flight deck.

flytheskies
18th Dec 2013, 16:20
Thank you to all those who viewed and took the time to post.

I will look into your suggestions

Piece of Cake
18th Dec 2013, 21:47
"The Life of Captain Reilly" by J T O'Neill is a good insight into the life of modern pilot. Very amusing in places. Available on Kindle etc for less than a quid!

TheiC
19th Dec 2013, 05:49
'Flying the Big Jets' might be what you're looking for (NOT 'Handling the Big Jets' which we all probably know), or a book which I have recommended to nervous passengers, for its humorous but accurate explanations of what gets aeroplanes up and keeps them there is 'Bluff your way on the Flight Deck'. The latter is sadly out of print but can be had second hand of course.

MG23
20th Dec 2013, 18:36
"The Life of Captain Reilly" by J T O'Neill is a good insight into the life of modern pilot. Very amusing in places. Available on Kindle etc for less than a quid!

Thanks for that suggestion: I'm about half-way through and it's pretty entertaining so far.

eckhard
21st Dec 2013, 18:09
"Behind the cockpit door" by Arthur Whitlock. From DC-3 to TriStar via Bristol Freighter, Ambassador, Britannia and Trident. Full of amusing anecdotes, most of which would probably be illegal or against 'elf 'n safety' rules today!

Brian 48nav
22nd Dec 2013, 11:04
I have several 'dated' airline flying books:-

Can anyone see Bermuda? Archie Jackson

Croydon to Concorde Capt' R E Gillman

Winged Life Betty Campbell Beaty ( A biography of her late husband, David Beaty )

Beaty wrote several novels around airline flying.

Published recently Jock Hutchinson's biography - retired Concorde captain. I can't remember the title.

QF32 by Richard de Crespigny - skipper of the A380 that had the problems after t/o from Singapore.

semmern
24th Dec 2013, 00:16
"North Star Over My Shoulder" by Bob Buck. TWA captain, DC-3 to 747. My 2nd favourite, after Fate is the Hunter, which is the one you should get first ;)

flarepilot
24th Dec 2013, 03:02
18greens

I think that approach was a standard beam approach (4 course radio range) with markers and not an ILS.

dudley was my fave...a few dudleys here.

Dave Wilson
24th Dec 2013, 11:39
I'll fourth Fate Is The Hunter. Should be mandatory reading for any pilot, greatest book about flying ever written IMO.

hunterboy
24th Dec 2013, 18:02
Bluffers Guide to the Flight Deck always makes me chuckle.....

flytheskies
3rd Jan 2014, 11:13
Finished bluffers guide yesterday. It was entertaining. If anyone wants my copy let me know as I know it's out of print now.

I've got Flying the Big Jets on the way so am looking forward to that.

I guess from the further replies (thank you all btw) my next purchase is Fate Is the Hunter. I'm on it!

Thank you all!