PDA

View Full Version : Lack of window blinds

ray278
17th Dec 2013, 12:43
On a recent flight from Prague to Newcastle I had almost constant glare from the low winter sun due to the lack of windows blinds on the Jet2 aircraft.
I E-mail Jet2 asking if the blinds had been removed and if so,why. Jet2 customer dept replied that none of their aircraft had blinds fitted.
Can anyone tell me the reason why and is this a common practice?

MarkerInbound
17th Dec 2013, 14:51
They did it to save money. I can see a new "sunshade" fee, say 2 euros if you want to rent a shade.

edi_local
17th Dec 2013, 17:52
I can't recall any other airline I've been with removing the window blinds, but then again I almost never close them (day or night, unless instructed to by
crew) so I probably wouldn't notice their absence anyway.

Could also have something to do with the fact that a lot of Jet2 aircraft become cargo aircraft at night with all the seats being ripped out. Not much need for blinds on those flights.

TightSlot
18th Dec 2013, 08:26
Weight Saving - seriously

wowzz
18th Dec 2013, 12:47
I think you'll find that Ryanair have no window blinds either.

grounded27
22nd Dec 2013, 20:40
Re: Cargo blinds.

Quite the opposite. Blinds on the CF aircraft I have been around are required closed during flight due the opportunity for magnified sunlight to start a fire.

fa2fi
22nd Dec 2013, 20:55
I believe FR removed them to save costs in terms of fitting and maintenance. I had thought they'd stopped doing it as it didn't actually save money. Last time I flew FR it had blinds but I don't know if it was old or new.

I know that the removal of the eye brow windows up front save money but can't imagine no window shades saves money. I can't imagine they weight much it need much maintenance and I can't imagine the I may plastic needs much maintenance.

737aviator
23rd Dec 2013, 19:56
All FR aircraft have window blinds

edi_local
23rd Dec 2013, 21:30
Re: Cargo blinds.

Quite the opposite. Blinds on the CF aircraft I have been around are required closed during flight due the opportunity for magnified sunlight to start a fire.

You know a few hours after posting that it did occur to me that actually blinds on cargo/passenger aircraft wold probably be more vital when they are used for cargo ops!

Lord Spandex Masher
23rd Dec 2013, 21:56
Not much sunlight at midnight!

Flybe Diesel 8s don't have them either.

WHBM
23rd Dec 2013, 21:59
I believe FR removed them to save costs in terms of fitting and maintenance. I had thought they'd stopped doing it as it didn't actually save money.
I had read that FR proposed this but the Irish Aviation Authority prohibited it.

radeng
27th Dec 2013, 09:32
America West used to specifically ask pax to close window blinds when leaving the aircraft. It was stated that so doing reduced the heat build up with the aircraft in the sun at PHX.

27th Dec 2013, 11:35
Back in my charter days in the 80s and long air traffic delays we always asked pax to close window blinds before leaving to try and reduce heat build up at sunny airports. Seemed a good idea at the time.
Pax comfort ??

radeng
27th Dec 2013, 14:37
With America West and summer in PHX, probably a sensible way to reduce air conditioning costs.

jet2impress
12th Jan 2014, 21:23
The Jet2 737-300's don't have window blinds, but all the Jet2 757's and 737-800's do have them.

Jarvy
13th Jan 2014, 06:22
Earlier this year flying with Delta was asked to close blinds on leaving the aircraft to reduce heat build up, so its quite common