PDA

View Full Version : Calling con pilot

pigboat
16th Dec 2013, 13:30
Did you have anything to do with this? :eek:

Brussels sprouts harvest jeopardised. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2524545/Brussels-sprout-harvest-jeopardised-birds-devour-December-crop.html)

airship
16th Dec 2013, 13:38
The Daily Mail must have expended huge resources in this reportage. Alas, the culprits were mere wood pigeons.

Please be patient however?! The Daily Mail will soon be updating this reportage for their loyal readership, as soon as they've identified how so many of these wood pigeons are of mainly foreign origin. Romanian, generally east European or even African...?! :eek:

I actually quite like frozen Brussel sprouts: take 2 x handfulls in a glass bowl, add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of sugar, a pinch of coriander. ZAP it all in the microwave for 3 1/2 minutes at about 900W...

Yumyum! :ok:

G-CPTN
16th Dec 2013, 14:03
Nothing new there - apart from a stunt by Tesco.

ShyTorque
16th Dec 2013, 14:57
It's nothing new. Years ago, farmers used to be entitled to a shotgun ammunition winter subsidy for culling woodpigeons. Then after a while it was realised that shooting them was pointless. The cull merely meant there was more ready food for the quick and the brave remainder.

sitigeltfel
16th Dec 2013, 15:05
Can they not feed Brussels bureaucrats to the pigeons. One lot of useless vermin feasting on the other.

radeng
16th Dec 2013, 15:20
The advantage of shooting the wood pigeons is that, provided you have at least 6 and preferably 12, you have the material for a pigeon pie - to go with any sprouts you've managed to save.

The pie I've never tried is a steak, mushroom and pigeon breast pie.......with a sauce bourguignonne in it. If only I could readily get the pigeon breasts....

MadsDad
16th Dec 2013, 15:21
Ah, but there is a new taste out there in Brussels Sprout Land:-

"SWEET Brussel sprouts on sale this Christmas - finally children will eat the traditional festive vegetable"

apparently

"Itís the news parents have dreamed of - sweet Brussels sprouts that kids will eat.Farmers have taken a year to perfect the taste of the new, mild greens which trick the brain into thinking they are a treat rather than a green."

Is this enough to convert Con-Pilot? Full story at Daily Mirror (well known Commie Rag that it is):-

SWEET Brussel sprouts on sale this Christmas - finally children will eat the traditional festive vegetable - Mirror Online (http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/family/sweet-brussel-sprouts-sale-christmas-2879086)

The SSK
16th Dec 2013, 15:32
My supermarket on Saturday was featuring speciality black and white puddings. I tried a black, flavoured with raspberries. It was so sweet, you could have had it as dessert with custard.

If you were so inclined, that is.

con-pilot
16th Dec 2013, 15:54
Did you have anything to do with this?

What? Who, little ol' me? Never. :suspect:

(Good job little birdies, keep up the good work.)

angels
16th Dec 2013, 16:22
I take it that connie doesn't like Brussels sprouts.

Yet another reason he's a top bloke. :ok:

500N
16th Dec 2013, 16:25
I much prefer Pigeon Pie, especially those fattened on farm crops
like sprouts !!!

DX Wombat
16th Dec 2013, 18:44
Well come over here and fill your boots 500N.

G-CPTN
16th Dec 2013, 18:51
Some 45 years ago I had 'the rights' to shoot pigeons on crops (mainly sprouts).

There was no doubt that there was damage being done to the crops but there was so much choice available to the pigeons that they managed to avoid the fields that I staked out :ugh:

500N
16th Dec 2013, 18:57
DX

I would love to.

Many, many fond memories trapesing after my father as a little kid
on cold winters evenings across a frozen field to a wood and then
running out to collect the dead one's. Those were the days :ok:

500N
16th Dec 2013, 19:03
"There was no doubt that there was damage being done to the crops but there was so much choice available to the pigeons that they managed to avoid the fields that I staked out :ugh:"

G-CPTN

The art of decoying and pigeoning is hard for sure, picking which crops
they like and where they are feeding and that is before you even pick
the right one for that day based on wind, weather, etc.

Which is why we probably shot pigeons coming to roost,
much easier !

rgbrock1
16th Dec 2013, 19:23
500N:

I should have figured you'd find some sort of bizaree culinary delight in eating pigeon.

You really are a savage, aren't you? :}

500N
16th Dec 2013, 19:30
RGB

Savage my arse. Just enjoy good food.

What is wrong with eating Pigeon ????
It is very nice indeed.

A past delicacy of feudal britain was "Squab pie", where they tied the
baby pigeon to the nest so it couldn't fly away and so the parents kept
feeding it and of course got fatter and fatter. Then it was roasted in a pie.
Was said to be very nice indeed.

rgbrock1
16th Dec 2013, 19:32
Well, 500N, if you insist on eating those scavengers more power to you. However, instead of wasting perfectly good ammo on the mildly ellusive pigeon why not just run it over with your car and partake in the delicacy known as
Pigeon' de la Road Kill? :}

500N
16th Dec 2013, 19:44
Have you ever eaten road kill ?

Lead pellets are far easier to pick out that the shattered bones that spread throughout the body as well as the sometimes undesirable aspect of the insides tainting the meat.

rgbrock1
16th Dec 2013, 19:46
500N wrote:

Have you ever eaten road kill ?

As a matter of fact I have. But just once. It was a squirrel. Which a: tasted like shit and b: had pebbles embedded within its dead carcass after having been run over by something or other.

500N
16th Dec 2013, 19:51
Exactly.

Mine was a bird and rabbit. Tend not to anymore.

radeng
16th Dec 2013, 21:35
Anybody volunteering to send me a dozen freshly shot pigeons?

500N
16th Dec 2013, 22:23
radeng

I think some of the big pigeon shooters sell them.

Worth asking around at a gunshop and / or the local clay target shoots
if anyone has any avialable, you would be interested.

Worrals in the wilds
16th Dec 2013, 23:09
If you could see the toxic sludge that comes out of a road sweeper after a normal shift :yuk: you'd be even less keen on Road Kill Cuisine, unless you were starving to death.

I assume at least some of the muck (a mixture of rubber, oil, grease, animal droppings and worse) would get mixed up with the meat on impact. :ouch:

Edit; dunno about the UK but here you can occasionally get pigeons from speciality butchers. If you haven't already tried it might be worth ringing around your local area.