PDA

View Full Version : Weekend Wallies

NigD
12th May 2002, 17:35
Heard a report that the McAlpine procedures at Hawarden (EGNR) are that any of its helis are to land on the compass base outside of apron november and its taxiway, disembark any passengers and crew, then be towed to the maintenance hangar.

The rumoured reason for this is some near misses that have occurred with quote, "weekend wallies" coming in and out of that particular apron. Hence the restriction by the powers that be.

Seems a tad harsh on pro pilots who could do it blindfold!!

Any McA pilots shed some light on this perculiar procedure:confused:

Anyone shed any light on the "near misses" that are so bad as to ban any more of the dreaded death traps from entering the apron.

PS I'm only a PPL(H) myself though haven't yet got the WW rating

Helinut
13th May 2002, 14:01
I can confirm that your summary of the SOP is about right. Very frustrating, especially when I visit it is always raining horizontally.

Don't know the reason - imposed by ATC.

NigD
13th May 2002, 17:55
Helinut

Any chance you can just put down on the Raytheon apron, pick me up and give us a go!!!!:D

I'll even help you push it across to the maintenace hangar from the compass bed afterwards but only if its the 135!! ;)

Try and avoid a white R22 (G-IIFR) or the lime green/bottle green (nicknamed kermit) as it might be me trying for the WW rating.

NigD

Droopy
13th May 2002, 19:10
Not sure about the origins of the procedure, but it actually makes sense even though it's along way to move the aircraft; control of personnel outside the Macs hangar would be very difficult as there are a lot of club offices/industrial units up at that North end.