PDA

View Full Version : Odd triangular runway? In Florida.

split system breaker
16th Dec 2013, 11:56
Flying in to Orlando Mcoy (KMCO) last week I noticed a strange runway type piece of Tarmac when flying downwind.

It appears to be about 8000 feet long, in the shape of a thin triangle, with shed type buildings at each end.

It's clearly visible on google or Apple maps, about 10 miles East and slightly South of the International airport.

It looks like some sort of testing ground, but for what I have no idea.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Seasons wishes, SSB

PLovett
16th Dec 2013, 12:19
Mmmmmm.............interesting.

The historic timeline photos go back to 1995 and prior to that the area is blurred out which suggests that it was a military installation of some kind. That is also suggested by what appears to be guard posts off the surrounding roads, especially to the west. But, I may be completely wrong.

Tried internet searching some of the names surrounding the site but to no avail.

500N
16th Dec 2013, 12:36
Hope this helps. I googled up the info.

"Consumed by this question me and a buddy of mine were trying to sort this out and we (HE) found out that this is a Radar Cross Section Testing Facility owned by Lockheed Martin. My interpretation is this is a testing sight for stealth capabilities, either for reducing our radar signatures or picking up on foreign reduced radar signatures. There is another such facility outside of Edwards AFB in CA at 34.825166, -117.295852‎ +34 49' 30.60", -117 17' 45.07"

http://i43.tinypic.com/2q3xll4.jpg

split system breaker
16th Dec 2013, 12:56
Wow! From posing the question, to unquestionably the solution, in just over 30 minutes - thanks.

My own view tended toward a conveyor belt for chemtrail launches,

Happy Christmas everyone.

fromredtogreen
16th Dec 2013, 12:59
That would make sense.

There's a big Lockheed Martin establishment a few miles from MCO just down Sand lake road towards I-Drive.

I got lost once and got a friendly "Sir, you need to turn back"