PDA

View Full Version : Peter O'Toole.

Akrotiri71
15th Dec 2013, 18:18
Cracking actor. Lawrence of Arabia, one of my favourite films.....ever!

RIP Sir.

SpringHeeledJack
15th Dec 2013, 18:23
One of the old school thespians, there can't be too many of them left :( RIP indeed.

SHJ

Akrotiri71
15th Dec 2013, 18:28
This is a good time as any to re-visit, and a great read, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

:ok:

beaufort1
15th Dec 2013, 19:59
RIP. A great actor.

Tankertrashnav
15th Dec 2013, 21:05
Noel Coward said that O'Toole was so pretty in the film it should have been renamed Florence of Arabia! Great film, I saw it outdoors in an officers' mess in Aden one night - the bar nearly ran out of beer after that crossing the desert scene!

Frankly, the way he lived it's amazing he made 81 - hope for us all yet!

goudie
15th Dec 2013, 21:37
the bar nearly ran out of beer after that crossing the desert scene!
Saw it at Akrotiri cinema. Cans of chilled Tennants were consumed in very large numbers! Great actor and probably one of the last hellraisers in his profession

Buster Hyman
15th Dec 2013, 21:47
Lawrence of Arabia is the film that Blu Ray was made for. :ok:

Thanks for the memories 'Orrence!

CharlieOneSix
15th Dec 2013, 23:08
Sad to hear he's passed on. I first saw him before he had really been noticed - he played Shylock in The Merchant of Venice at the Stratford Memorial Theatre in 1960. I was playing Antonio in our school production that year so went to see how it should be done!

Noah Zark.
15th Dec 2013, 23:09
Also excellent in 'Murphy's War'! A great actor indeed. R.I.P.

11Fan
15th Dec 2013, 23:39
I believe I will slip "Laurence of Arabia" into the DVD player this evening.

"I'm sorry, it's my manner."

RIP Sir.

onetrack
16th Dec 2013, 00:20
Is anyone else besides me, amazed that he actually made it to 81! :)

RIP to a great actor who has provided the world with a large legacy of fine entertainment movies, that will long be regarded as "classics". :ok:

pigboat
16th Dec 2013, 01:17
Great actor, RIP Sir.
He never won an Oscar, not even for Lawrence Of Arabia. They gave him a consolation Oscar a few years ago, to assuage their collective consciences, I guess.

500N
16th Dec 2013, 01:36
RIP

LoA was a superb film, I always loved the scene when
he walked into the officers mess in Cairo with the boy.

Uncle Fred
16th Dec 2013, 02:13
I guess one of the things that make life interesting in that we all appreciate different actors and actresses. I am sorry to see the old boy cross the river Jordan so to speak, but I was never a big fan.

For some reason I just could not understand that constantly spacey demeanor. Now granted I am not familiar with his biography and should perhaps check Wikipedia to skivvy up on the gent. Perhaps he was engaged in a bit of pharmacological nihilism or else that extraordinary vacuous look was a diffident humour that I do not understand, but watching him in interviews was just painful.

My comments are not meant to detract from what I am told was a brilliant talent, but rather that I just did not understand him or that demeanor. Wife maintains that I missed the part of the kit that included understanding anyway so perhaps someone could set me straight on the old gent. Was it just a pose?

Buster Hyman
16th Dec 2013, 02:46
He never won an Oscar, not even for Lawrence Of Arabia. They gave him a consolation Oscar a few years ago, to assuage their collective consciences, I guess.
Apparently, he almost refused it claiming that he was still acting & had an opportunity to earn one!

Quite frankly, when I saw he was 81 I was shocked! I thought he looked 116!!!

finfly1
16th Dec 2013, 03:07
When I think of him, I think first of "My Favorite Year", which I saw again recently and read that it was somewhat biographical, although not about him. A fun flic.

Haraka
16th Dec 2013, 04:58
I can never forget him taking a nip proffered by a flunky between takes in the execrable " Goodbye Mr. Chips" in the summer of '68.
(In which I was one of the schoolboys :O).

Vercingetorix
16th Dec 2013, 07:22
o'Toole, Burton and Harris - the Three musketeers with Oliver Reed as D'Artagnan.

End of an Era.

Cheers

treadigraph
16th Dec 2013, 07:46
Story told to me by an actor acquaintance many years ago...

O'Toole and Richard Harris are starring in a play in Bristol. They did the afternoon performance, then slipped across to a nearby pub for refreshments. Come the evening show and Harris is on first; he stumbles around the stage briefly then falls heavily amidst the footlights.

"Mr Harris, you are drunk!" accused an elderly lady in the front row.

"If you think I'm drunk, madam, wait till O'Toole comes on."

Well it might be true...

---------

I'm another fan of Murphy's War.

RIP.

angels
16th Dec 2013, 08:02
Add me to the list of people who thought he'd carked it in the 1990s. I saw him at a party in the early 80s and wouldn't have given him five months let alone five years.

That said, superb actor and great character. One of the people who took over a room when he came in. :ok:

India Four Two
16th Dec 2013, 10:02
Lawrence of Arabia is the film that Blu Ray was made for.

Buster,

Perhaps, but in my opinion, Lawrence of Arabia is the film that the Cinerama screen was made for. I've seen it twice on a big screen.

My all time favourite film and I would fly a long way to see it in a cinema again.

Corporal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288714/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Ooh! It damn well 'urts!
Lawrence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Certainly it hurts.
Corporal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288714/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): What's the trick then?
Lawrence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts.

ORAC
16th Dec 2013, 10:30
Interesting facts.....

Peter O’Toole, R.I.P. (http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/366364/peter-otoole-rip-mark-steyn)

...........O’Toole had two valid, government-issued birth certificates — one stating he was born in Connemara in Ireland in June 1932, the other stating he was born in Leeds in England in August 1932. He had no idea which one was correct, but, being in showbiz, chose to celebrate his birthday on the later date.

And these are two of the oldest, most reliable birth registries on the planet.

goudie
16th Dec 2013, 14:02
During a tv chat show he mentioned that the only exercise he gets, is walking behind the coffins of friends, who were keep fit fanatics.

dazdaz1
16th Dec 2013, 15:45
India.........."Corporal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288714/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Ooh! It damn well 'urts!
Lawrence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): Certainly it hurts.
Corporal (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0288714/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): What's the trick then?
Lawrence (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."

The mind boggles :ooh::ooh::ooh::ooh:

SpringHeeledJack
16th Dec 2013, 16:43
He always had that hollowed out hang-dog look in his later years, so it's no wonder that he gave the impression that he was not long for this world. He played Jeffrey Bernard, the well known alcoholic and journalist in Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell at the theatre to rave reviews, art imitating life.

SHJ

OFSO
16th Dec 2013, 18:39
I trust the great Peter O'Toole's obsequies will be given the same amount of TV time that the BBC awarded to the gentleman who died in South Africa last week.

(Er, no, it won't).

teeteringhead
16th Dec 2013, 18:52
And speaking of drinking before a performance, was it O'Toole or Harris who went to a post-(very)liquid-lunch matinee, and said to his companion:

"This next bit is good . . . . it's where I come on ......... :eek::eek::eek:"

rotornut
16th Dec 2013, 20:34
The fact that he never won an Oscar for Lawrence of Arabia shows you how political the Academy Awards really are. I thought he was absolutely brilliant in that movie and I'm obviously not alone. By the way the first time I saw it I was in Austria: Lawrence von Arabien. RIP

treadigraph
16th Dec 2013, 20:55
Confession being good for the soul - so they say - admit it I must; I don't think I've ever actually watched Lawrence of Arabia. I suspect the opportunity will avail itself very shortly, so I shall make amends.

Low Flier
16th Dec 2013, 21:32
LoA was a superb film, I always loved the scene when
he walked into the officers mess in Cairo with the boy.

Well worth watching again
Lawrence of Arabia part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ33gYBFDnE#t=7429)

Almost a hundred years later the same issue is just as fresh as it was then:

Lawrence: Arabia is for the Arabs now. That's what I've told them anyway. That's what they think. That's why they're fighting.
Allenby: Oh surely.
Lawrence: They've only one suspicion. We let them drive the Turks out and then move in ourselves. I've told them that that's false, that we've no ambitions in Arabia. Have we?
Allenby: I'm not a politician, thank god. Have we any ambition in Arabia, Dryden?
Dryden: Difficult question sir.
Lawrence: I want to know sir, if I can tell them, in your name, that we've no ambitions in Arabia.
Allenby: Certainly.
Lawrence: Two thousand small arms, not enough. I need five.
Allenby: Right.
Lawrence: Money. It'll have to be sovereigns. They don't like paper.
Lawrence: Instructors for the Lewis guns.
Lawrence: More money.
Allenby: How much more?
Lawrence: Twenty-five thousand now. A lot more later.
Allenby: Dryden?
Dryden: It can be done, sir.
Lawrence: A couple of armored cars.
Lawrence: Field artillery.
Allenby: Right. I know to give you every blessed thing I can, Major Lawrence, because I know you'll use it. Congratulations and thank you.
Dryden: You give them artillery and you've made them independent.
Allenby: Then I can't give them artillery, can I?
Dryden: For you to say, sir.
Allenby: No, it's not. I've got orders to obey, thank god. Not like that poor devil. He's riding the whirlwind.
Dryden: Let's hope we're not.

Buster Hyman
16th Dec 2013, 21:39
Lawrence of Arabia is the film that the Cinerama screen was made for.
Oh, indeed! But I don't have one of them. :p

Now, on the subject of movie quotes, one of my all time favourites utter by O'Toole was from My Favourite Year...

[Alan Swann has blundered into the wrong restroom]
Lil (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0224723/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): This is for ladies only!
Alan Swann (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000564/?ref_=tt_trv_qu): [unzipping fly] So is *this*, ma'am, but every now and then I have to run a little water through it.

India Four Two
17th Dec 2013, 00:28
The mind boggles

Indeed, dazdaz1.

A matchless exchange on paper, less so when you've seen the film. ;)

treaders,

A very brave admission. I strongly recommend you watch it in letterbox format on the largest possible TV. Try to get the anniversary edition with the extra documentaries and commentaries, and watch those first. They add so much to the enjoyment of the film.

500N
17th Dec 2013, 01:10
Low Flyer

Thanks for the link, well worth watching again.

I love the stuffiness of the mess that he just pulls down in one fell swoop.

meadowrun
17th Dec 2013, 01:45
On drinking

“I did quite enjoy the days when one went for a beer at one’s local in Paris and woke up in Corsica.”

treadigraph
17th Dec 2013, 07:32
I42, dammit man, it's going to have to be a credit card toting visit to the South American rain forest...! :ok:

airship
17th Dec 2013, 15:02
You do so astonish me sometimes treadigraph: Confession being good for the soul - so they say - admit it I must; I don't think I've ever actually watched Lawrence of Arabia. I suspect the opportunity will avail itself very shortly, so I shall make amends.

I must admit to having watched the movie several times over the past few decades, but also confess that I've never bothered to confirm whether or not T.E. Lawrence (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T._E._Lawrence)'s role, as depicted in the movie, was entirely accurate.

But our own home-grown "Lawrence of Arabia" certainly contributed to the "Great" part of "Great Britain". And IMHO, his accomplishments certainly had a far wider and greater impact than the Madiba, recently elevated to almost "God-like" status ever managed to achieve. For better or worse (depending on where you stand), Lawrence "liberated" a whole swathe of the middle-east from colonisation. And for ever and ever...?!

Nelson Mandela's accomplishments, again IMHO, remain "wide-open" to be over-turned over the next decade or 2. His much admired and Internationally-acclaimed Truth And Reconciliation Commission (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truth_and_Reconciliation_Commission_(South_Africa)) especially, which led to many other countries and conflicts establishing similar rules. Many of which have seen the originally-granted amnesties being rescinded by "popular demand" afterwards. What hope therefore, for a country such as South Africa ca. 2013, where the original apartheid-era ruling classes have simply added "a bit of colour" to the original shade in the meantime? And perhaps because of nepotism and/or self-interest (call it whatever you like), the S. African government today presides over a country which is dysfunctional, where 30% of the population survive on US$2 per day apparently and all the "barriers" remain as high as they were (if not higher) than when under-apartheid in many concrete respects...? :sad:

If Lawrence of Arabia had been a Frenchman, he'd be a national hero today, remembered and commemorated each year on the anniversary of his death, le 19 mai 1935. Strangely though, one does not see any special celebration of T.E. Lawrence today in any of the countries he once helped "liberate", such as Saudi Arabia, all the Gulf states, Iraq and much of Turkey and Syria? :confused: Without whom, they'd probably still be using camel-dung as fuel for cooking. Selling their oil to Exxon for US$ 10 per barrel. And simply murdering each other "without real cause" when another Arab mistakenly drinks from a well they did not own...?! Instead of enjoying the exorbitant lifestyles so many of them do today. And still insisting on "our help and intervention" ca. 2013 in "what are (should be) matters purely for the Arabs to resolve amongst themselves..."?! :rolleyes:

The real T.E. Lawrence should probably "be turning over in his grave" in an unremakable corner of south-west England at most recent and past events. But one has a sneaky suspicion that, even at the height of his best actions at the time, he might have thought to himself silently: "What I'm doing now will never change their mentality (of the Arabs). So do it for yourself Lawrence? Just see it all through, explaining as best one can what the 'Great' part of...truly represents?!" :ok:

tony draper
17th Dec 2013, 15:31
O'Toole was probably a tad on the tall side to render Lawrence truthfully,Lawrence was a rather small cove.
That's him in the middle.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/T_E_Lawrence_Herbert_Samuel_Emir_Abdullah_-_Amman_1921_zps25091f62.jpg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/T_E_Lawrence_Herbert_Samuel_Emir_Abdullah_-_Amman_1921_zps25091f62.jpg.html)
Good things in little bundles as me mum always told me.
:rolleyes:

500N
17th Dec 2013, 15:39
That photo of him makes him look very effeminate !

Not how I would like to remember either him or Peter O'Toole.

500N
17th Dec 2013, 15:51
I thought he liked boys ??????

And aren't a couple of scenes in the film a bit skewed towards that idea ?

I think one is in the desert ?

tony draper
17th Dec 2013, 16:00
I believe he did attend a minor public school and that sort of thing was more or less compulsory in such establishments.:rolleyes:
Further research(google) indicates Lawrence was 5'5" tall, don't suppose that would have been regarded as particularly short in those days, a bloke six foot tall if not quite a rarity was not as common as today even in my sproghood.

airship
17th Dec 2013, 17:53
500N wrote: I thought he liked boys ??????

Yet another ignoramus who perhaps confuses pendantry with pedastry.

So, 500N, I understand that you also have some camels (wholly foreign in your current 'indigenious sphere', perhaps also regarded as pests, like the cats). But you do have all these 'camels' there (obviously the "home-grown and standard" result of perhaps :confused:allowing your Kiwi-neighbours to work on your farms, bringing along their semi-exclusive tendencies to sometimes desperately fornicate with the herd-members, being so far away from home as it were)...?!

What were you trying to say (and getting away with it) just before I stepped in saying you were not going to be allowed to get away with anything? I forget. It's so long ago. I'm going to do my best in future to deal exclusively with grass-hoppers...?! :ok:

500N
17th Dec 2013, 18:15
airship

The ?????? after my post indicates it was a question.

Are we not allowed to ask questions as part of this discussion
even if they are very wrong ?

Yes, we have Camels, millions of them, they have been here since
the dawn of time because they were used to explore Australia by
white man. And they trash the environment !

A A Gruntpuddock
17th Dec 2013, 20:28
Best memory of him is an absolutely brilliant bird-like 'mating dance' round a young women (Ruling Classes?). Can't think of anyone else who could have carried it off.

A genial man, who was nevertheless filled with a deep passion, which showed in many films but really exploded in 'The Lion In Winter'. Not my favourite genre normally but that is a really memorable film.

radeng
17th Dec 2013, 22:57
As of all of these film stars etc, my response is

Who TF was that and why is such a w**er of any importance?

reynoldsno1
19th Dec 2013, 00:51
That photo of him makes him look very effeminate

My late Dad shared a barrack hut with AC Shaw at RAF Felixstowe in 1933. He told me he was 'a very strange fellow' and struck him as a bit 'camp'. Not everyone knew who he really was...