PDA

View Full Version : Don't even think of overthrowing the Queen (or you're in big trouble!)

rotornut
15th Dec 2013, 13:54
Oops! Law chiefs accidentally ditch treason act | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523539/Oops-Law-chiefs-accidentally-ditch-treason-act.html)

defizr
15th Dec 2013, 14:25
‘Being an incorrigible rogue’, under the Vagrancy Act 1824, has also been repealed.

I'm not sure that was a good idea :p

Fox3WheresMyBanana
15th Dec 2013, 14:26
Safe for me to return now :ok:

rotornut
15th Dec 2013, 14:50
Then there's this one under the Criminal Code of Canada:

49. Every one who wilfully, in the presence of Her Majesty,

(a) does an act with intent to alarm Her Majesty or to break the public peace, or
(b) does an act that is intended or is likely to cause bodily harm to Her Majesty,
is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

tony draper
15th Dec 2013, 17:05
I think the law was brung in when one of our Kings had a red hot poker inserted into his person,a second was starved to death and a third clubbed to death with a heavy blunt instrument.
It was though something should be done.
:)

Lon More
15th Dec 2013, 17:26
which one ate a surfeit of lampreys?

( Before Bluey gets in - eel not be coming back)

vee-tail-1
15th Dec 2013, 17:27
The Queen God bless her!
Anachronistic as the monarchy is, it nevertheless could be our 'Get out of Jail Free' card, sometime in the future when we are about to become an Islamic republic. :yuk:

UK armed forces swear an oath of loyalty to the QUEEN, not to the government.

A future King William could take over the army and order the same sort of restoration to order and democracy as did the Egyptians recently.

crewmeal
15th Dec 2013, 17:29
Typical politicians mamby pamby weaklings that have just got an 11% payrise and can't even get this right. Useless.

racedo
15th Dec 2013, 17:47
Reminds me of the story of the guy at Southampton taking a boat and emigrating........
Asked why he said "Its because they have decriminalised homosexuality"
Interviewer said "Why, are you Homosexual"
Reply again was "No, I just want to leave before they make it compulsory".

tony draper
15th Dec 2013, 18:19
I think that were Bad King John Mr More,a King so bad that a law was passed to the effect that no one called John can ever be King of England ever again,still on the statute book as far as I know.
John was so bad the Barons even offered the crown to a bloke called Louis from across the water.
King Louis I st of England,it dont bare thinking about,:uhoh:

Loose rivets
15th Dec 2013, 18:22
Reminds me of the story of the guy at Southampton taking a boat and emigrating........
Asked why he said "Its because they have decriminalised homosexuality"
Interviewer said "Why, are you Homosexual"
Reply again was "No, I just want to leave before they make it compulsory".

That makes no sense at all.:confused:

I like the queen, but I wish I could pop round for a cup of tea and look at her paintings. :sad:

tony draper
15th Dec 2013, 18:30
Well tiz my understanding the Buckingham Palace is now open to the public at certain times and one can indeed tootle about looking at Mrs Queens painting for a small fee.
:)

funfly
15th Dec 2013, 18:46
..but don't think of eating the nibbles, she's counted them:rolleyes:

funfly
15th Dec 2013, 18:47
What really scares me is the thought of Charlie being the next :eek:

racedo
15th Dec 2013, 19:29
What really scares me is the thought of Charlie being the next http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Queen ...................who knew.

Mr Chips
15th Dec 2013, 20:48
What a fascinating Daily Mail (the most criticised newspaper in jetblast and weirdly the most quoted as well) article which states that a law, not used since 1879 has not been repealed

Keef
15th Dec 2013, 20:52
Have they repealed the one that says it's illegal to preach in public without a licence? They got John Bunyan with that one, but I don't know of anyone since.

Gertrude the Wombat
15th Dec 2013, 21:26
I wish I could pop round for a cup of tea and look at her paintings
Get yourself invited to a garden party - you're allowed to look around indoors a bit on the way out.

ruddman
15th Dec 2013, 21:29
Great band. Pity about the lead singer though. :(

radeng
15th Dec 2013, 21:32
Struck me that security seemed a bit slack when I went to one. OTOH, there were a fair number of uniformed Gurkhas there, so anyone trying anything would have had a very hard time - but not for long!

rotornut
15th Dec 2013, 22:32
Law a bit soft in Canada?

Well, most of us love her. And she generally stays away from the province of Quebec where there could be trouble - remember 1759?

bosnich71
15th Dec 2013, 23:00
Great band, pity about the lead singer though.
What,Freddie was a p*****r ?
Well bugger me, the things you find out as you get older !

onetrack
15th Dec 2013, 23:02
Have they repealed that law about forbidding the carrying of gunpowder into Parliament, yet? :E

Only the British could think up a scheme involving holding a parliamentary hostage to guarantee the safe return of the monarch, whenever Parliament is opened!! :eek:

mikedreamer787
15th Dec 2013, 23:56
‘Being an incorrigible rogue’, under the Vagrancy Act 1824.

That's what kept me out of the UK all me life.

500N
16th Dec 2013, 00:09
"Well, having been born a few years before him, I understand he was given a bit of a military style going over in his upbringing, ostensibly to prepare him for kingship."

Charlie needed to be sent on the Royal Marines or Para course very early on
in his life to beef up / toughen up a bit, and get rid of that bloody hairstyle !!!
A few years in either would have done him wonders.

However I do think he will grow into it as he has grown into his current role.

Airey Belvoir
16th Dec 2013, 05:31
but I wish I could pop round for a cup of tea and look at her paintings.

One has done that ………….twice

HyFlyer
16th Dec 2013, 11:42
Struck me that security seemed a bit slack when I went to one. OTOH, there were a fair number of uniformed Gurkhas there, so anyone trying anything would have had a very hard time - but not for long!

There can be as many as a 1,000 guests at these garden parties.......so you'd think one Gurkha would be enough then....! More Royal extravagance I see.:)

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Dec 2013, 11:57
One has done that ………….twice
Prince Charles: "Do you come here often?"

Me: "They told me you only ever get one invitation."

Prince Charles (falling about laughing): "There's plenty of people I see regularly."

rotornut
16th Dec 2013, 16:21
Basil,
Having been there myself I agree - hardly a steep cliff face.
The brilliance of the attack was that the British were able to get past the French sentries and land so many troops.