PDA

View Full Version : Right Seat of B767 or NG?

tropaco
15th Dec 2013, 09:55
I'm not sure if I am asking this question in the right forum, but I wanted to get the opinion of some of you more experienced and less bitter pilots out there.

I am currently operating the B737 Classic EFIS and I have been presented with the opportunity to progress to the right seat of a B767 or an NG and I am in two minds as to where either might lead me in the future. I still see some jobs calling for B767 time on type should things not quite work out down the road as a backup plan. Which aircraft would be the better career option down the road, considering hiring for the big ME or Asian Airlines - if it would make any difference at all? I want to differentiate myself from the herd of pilots applying for these jobs and my thought is that some wide body and medium/long haul experience might be a good thing to add to the CV? However being that the NG is regarded by some as having more in common with the newer Boeing wide bodies might it be better to stick to the NG and better the devil you know? I know this is not an exact science but some advice here would be greatly appreciated.

:ugh:

I understand that its not just about hours these days and your over all experience profile is just as important.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

:ok:

MD80rookie
15th Dec 2013, 10:05
Congrats on the options!

I would go for the new type to learn some more stuff and broad my horizons. Especially Asia is very focused on wide body hours for some jobs. There are a lot of 737 pilots out there, not as many 767 pilots I believe.

Good luck

EpsilonVaz
15th Dec 2013, 10:15
I'd also say that there are a lot of 737 pilots around, 767 will differentiate you.

DutchExpat
15th Dec 2013, 10:31
Whichever gives you pic the quickest Experienced FO market almost does not exist anymore!

Iver
15th Dec 2013, 14:43
Get heavy Boeing time if offered. You already have 737 experience even if it is not NG - it's close enough. This also depends on your long term plans. With 767 experience, there is a higher likelihood the Middle East carriers would put you into a 787 or 777 if that was of interest for you (not for everybody...).

I'd go for the 767. :ok: It is a classic aircraft and you will likely gain new experiences from flying it. Transition into a bigger Boeing aircraft down the line would probably be easier too.

macdo
15th Dec 2013, 15:29
I'd do the 767 for all the above reasons. Only thought process should be where and how you want to live your life in 10 years time. LH, while attractive, ultimately is not everyone's cup of tea and is a strain on your home life. But, over a long career, I think, is something everyone should have a go at.

Aluminium shuffler
15th Dec 2013, 15:50
76 for sure. The NG is just a variant of what you are already doing, with the same style operation and just a differences course. The 76 is a new type, classed as a heavy/wide body and operates long haul, so brings more than just a type rating but also the experience of the other sort of jet ops. For the ME, who are primarily recruiting for long haul, then it's ideal, and as it's the 787's predecessor in size and routes, will set you up well. It only needs a differences course for the 75, too, resulting in a dual rating, so you could conceivably have 737 300-900 and 757/767 on your licence simultaneously (though only operating the 737 models or 75 and76 at a time). It makes you employable in both long and short haul markets...

A and C
15th Dec 2013, 16:05
Unfortunaly the aviation business is full of so much ingrained rubbish about what people can and can't do you need to get the biggest type on your licence as soon as you can.

I can remember being told that I was unlikely to be able to fly a turboprop when I was flying piston twins, then when I got the turboprop tick in the box it was "you won't be able to fly jets" now I have flown the BAe 146, B737 & A320 for about 5000 hours in command I am told only those who have previously flown wide body's can fly them despite the fact that I have done the ETOPS & MNPS thing across the North Atlantic with the 73NG.

So rather than battle with prejudice and bull get the 767 and at lest you will then have the wide body tick in the book as soon as you can.

Hobo
15th Dec 2013, 16:39
It wouldn't be for me, but if you are prepared to fly longhaul, as others have said, I'd go for the 767...and of course the 767-400, if who you are considering is likely to order it, is effectively NG flight instrumentation.

DADDY-OH!
16th Dec 2013, 10:18
B767 every time.

av8r76
16th Dec 2013, 10:26
I second Dutch's opinion.

Go where you get your PIC fastest. I personally had an option for T7 RHS for the long term and NG LHS within a six month time frame.

Getting the jet PIC rating at the earliest and subsequent precious jet command hours under your belt will work out more favorably in the long run.

Other variables like lifestyle, location and pay will only add more pros and cons to weigh against.

Good luck either way.

Icelanta
16th Dec 2013, 10:52
Indeed,
Go where you get the quickest opportunity to pass your Captain Upgrade.

I went from FO on b737EFIS to CPT b737EFIS and then, within 18 months, I became CPT on the B744 due to a fleet phase-out.
PIC is the most important career step in your life. Once you're on the left, never vacate that seat.

Boeing man
16th Dec 2013, 14:58
Go for 767 it's a great machine I've flown 737 classic and NG the long haul experience will be good for cv etops + North Atlantic ops .lots of 737 drivers out there not too many with etops .You will also get to experience different ATC procedures and wx patterns around the globe from cold wx ops North America to tropical wet season great learning experience towards captains seat .

macdo
16th Dec 2013, 21:20
To be fair, the OP hasn't mentioned that he is in the frame for a command and did indicate that he was looking to differentiate himself so as his CV was more attractive to a ME or Asean carrier. So the 76 is his best bet. If a command is in the offing, then it is a more difficult choice. Personally, if he works for a bad employer I'd still try to get the job with the good carrier first, then look for the upgrade in that airline. While command time is invaluable, it does tend to make you less mobile as there is invariably a pay/status drop to move, unless DEC is available. But these are rare in decent airlines.