PDA

View Full Version : Any info on Aeroperlas / Shorts operators?

HighandTight
12th May 2002, 17:03
Hi guys!

Looking for any info on Shorts operators in South America and the Carib area, in particular Aeroperlas who seem to have a few.

I'm a UK based pilot with a Shorts rating looking for an FO's position so any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Panama Jack
12th May 2002, 19:20
Aeroperlas does have Shorts, however, you need to be a Panamanian citizen to be able to get a license. Airlines can have short term Captains with loads of experience-- I don't believe Aeroperlas would be looking for expats though. FO's make starvation wages, Captains do better but not good.

Hogg
12th May 2002, 22:04
Hiya, i know there used to be a few Shorts Skyvans in Guyana , all on 8R reg. based in Georgetown, Also was a company Air Calypso in Guadeloupe but mate of mine told me few months ago that he thinks they have ceased trading????? They were on F-O reg. Dont know of many other Sheds there.

For Aeroperlas try http://www.pananet.com/aeroperlas

Cheers Hogg

neil armstrong
22nd May 2002, 13:14
Try Islena airlines http://www.flyislena.com in Honduras they have 2 shorts ,some ATR's and Cessna caravans.
They are in the TACA group , look under fleet on the webside it shows other Shorts operators in the area.
Do you know Spanish??

Good Luck

Neil

HighandTight
30th May 2002, 14:47
Thanks Neil and Hogg.

I've emailed Islena and Aeroperlas - its always worth a try.

BTW does anyone know if Air jamaica still operate their Sheds?

Panama Jack
3rd Jun 2002, 02:28
Best of luck. Honduras, like most Central American countries have old archaic air regulations which demand citizenship of their country to even hold a professional license. Many of these regulations were written in the 50's and smack of patriotic and national security concerns. So unlike in most North American or European countries, it is not just an immigration matter (to be allowed to work) as much as a civil aviation matter (to be allowed to work in the field of aviation).

turning2
4th Jun 2002, 21:21
Unfortunately no, Air Jamaica is no longer using the Shorts, they're being returned to Bombardier and being replaced with the Dash 8's.

zoru
2nd Aug 2002, 12:05
i believe that Islena in Honduras get most of their f/o's through Eagle Jet in Miami for the sheds and lets...i.e you gotta pay to fly !

best of luck with the job hunt,at least you are very flexible in your preferred base which must mean something to someone!;)

Carlos R
26th Jun 2003, 23:57
As expressed before at least with Isleņa you have to be Honduran to be a pilot. Old laws hopefully it will be changed soon

Carlos