PDA

View Full Version : Bedbugs as Christmas Gifts

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 17:09
No, I'm not on drugs. Seems that there has been a sharp uptick in the numbers of bedbugs infesting homes here in the U.S. The sharp uptick is directly related to shipped items sent to homes for the holidays. Said bedbugs seem to like living in cardboard boxes, tissue paper (used for wrapping) and wrapping paper itself.

So, the next time you order something from Amazon as a gift for Christmas, or accept a package from a relative or friend, keep in mind that lurking within that package may very well be a brigade of bedbugs. Lying in ambush and waiting to infest your bed.

:}:}:}

500N
13th Dec 2013, 17:30
Didn't you attend the Hygiene lecture ! ? :O

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 17:31
Of course I did 500N. But they never told us anything about bedbugs hiding in ambush in Christmas parcels!!!

OFSO
13th Dec 2013, 17:48
:=

bedbugs infesting homes here in the U.S.

And hotels also. Taxi drivers picking up passengers at Heathrow from transatlantic flights usually spread plastic sheets over the seats and ask passengers to refrain from touching door handles and light switches in the taxi.

Many Europeans I know on arriving home from a holiday in the USA have had their personal possessions fumigated and burned their cases and handbags. It's also not uncommon to shave all body hair and stand in front of a UV delousing lamp for a short while, rotating every few minutes.

Seems drastic, but well.......

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 17:51
Damn, OFSO, you make it sound like we Americans have the cooties. Not everyone has bed bugs ya know. (Or crabs, lice and other crawly things.)

500N
13th Dec 2013, 17:54
" Not everyone has bed bugs ya know. (Or crabs, lice and other crawly things.)"

Agree, but the US seems to have a far bigger problem than most !!!

And going on for longer, I remember reading about it a few years ago.

Unhygienic swill ;)

11Fan
13th Dec 2013, 18:15
Bedbugs, the gift that keeps on giving.

OFSO
13th Dec 2013, 18:30
Not everyone has bed bugs ya know

Typical of a capitalist economy. The rich get bedbugs and the poor have to go without. Obama has a lot to answer for.

lomapaseo
13th Dec 2013, 18:41
Not everyone has bed bugs ya know. (Or crabs, lice and other crawly things.)

How do you really know ?

Do you find yourself scratching somewhere on your body often
Do you sometimes feel listless and anemic ?
Do you feel the bed move from time to time?
Does your dog or cat spend a lot of time licking you?
Is your hair falling out and sticking to your comb?
Do birds swoop out of the sky and peck at your scalp?

these are signs that you should worry about

DX Wombat
13th Dec 2013, 18:44
the US seems to have a far bigger problem than most I thought everything was supposed to be bigger and better in the USA.

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 18:48
loma asked

How do you really know ?

Do you find yourself scratching somewhere on your body often
Do you sometimes feel listless and anemic ?
Do you feel the bed move from time to time?
Does your dog or cat spend a lot of time licking you?
Is your hair falling out and sticking to your comb?
Do birds swoop out of the sky and peck at your scalp?

these are signs that you should worry about

I scratch my ass often, does that count?
Listless? Only when being asked a question at work.
Yes, the bed moves often. However, that's not due to any bug adventures but other types of adventures.
We don't have a dog or a cat. Does a pot-belly pig count?
I have no hair. Well, none to speak of anyway.
Birds swoop out of the air but fail to peck at my scalp because they're usually dead after the final swoop. They make for good target practice.

Have I answered your questions in a satisfactory manner, Mr. loma? :}

500N
13th Dec 2013, 18:53
Does your dog or cat spend a lot of time licking you?"

RGB is like a dog, he licks his own ;)

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 18:54
You got it, 500N. Which is why I tend to wear my pink tutu, making my balls readily accessible. :}

390cruise
13th Dec 2013, 19:04
Hi guys
If you need more info about bed bugs in American and Canadian hotels check out Bedbugregistry. com or their app Bedbug Registry.
1200 or so properties featuring user submitted data.
Happy Scratching!

Loose rivets
13th Dec 2013, 19:12
The Rivetess is a fastidiously clean person. She even made me bath more than once a week when we first met. But she got, got. Just as I got, got. Chiggers. Horrible. Under the skin - mostly on the waistline. Scratch? I wanted to turn myself on a lathe.

We'd been gardening, and within hours felt the symptoms, but we didn't know what they were. The speed with which they spread is frightening and it makes one look so silly. Especially when one matches one's wife and is painted with iodine. Not that that did any good.

We lacquered ourselves. 'That'll do it. It says so on the box.' Did it 'ek.

Baths in America are generally not big. Maybe it's because it's the land of the shower, but only a turbo $1,000 thingy seems anywhere near as big as our ordinary baths back home. We went home. Well, we were going anyway. Hit the good sized tubs and boiled ourselves until we were pink. Now the little buggahs put their breathing tubes out for cool air. It's at this moment one has to douse them with surgical spirit. At last, they were done.

Ticks. Now they're a whole new ballgame. It took the above and I ten days to clear the kid's house. They went on hol . . . vacation and we stayed and did battle. Jeepers, it was horrible. Each night as we left, we bombed the place and ran out. Each day we bagged and fumigated everything in a home that is owned by two multi-generation hoarders, their kids and their three dogs. Thereby hangs a tale. (:rolleyes: I know, sorry.) When I'd finally looked at the bare white tiles, the un-ticked ceiling (they drop on you) and the masses of plastic bags, I had one intuitive look in a Martini umbrella. Right at the top was a huge female with her 6000 seeds of disaster ready to spring into tickyness. Just that one could have wreaked havoc.

Could have been worse. We could have been scratching chiggers while fending off the falling ticks. One has to be thankful.

lomapaseo
13th Dec 2013, 19:17
Rg

Have I answered your questions in a satisfactory manner, Mr. loma? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

Yes:ok:

you certainly are buggy

500N
13th Dec 2013, 19:20
Loose

I reckon I got chiggers on my lower legs, mainly the shins
up Northern Australia one year. It was hot and humid and
had been out hunting in grass.

Whole front of leg went red and oozed.

A mate had got it a few years earlier when out bush in a similar
environment up there.

I agree, they itch like hell and did so for weeks / months.

For a couple of years my skin on my shins was red like scar tissue.

rgbrock1
13th Dec 2013, 19:23
loose wrote:

the un-ticked ceiling (they drop on you)

Yes they do. That's why they're also called Airborne Ticks. They go to airborne school at Ft. Benning, Georgia to learn the ticks of the trade. :}

Loathsome bugs they are.

The only bugs which ever feasted on me were leaches, of which I acquired quite a few, many moons ago whilst traipsing through the swamps of backwoods Georgia.

500N
13th Dec 2013, 19:33
Leeches

Yep, a real PITA.

I used to soak the tops of my Army socks / bottom of trousers with Salt and water
as they didn't like it and that went a long way to stopping them crawling up.

I have been lucky with Ticks over the years, never had more than one
even though I frequent areas they are in.

racedo
13th Dec 2013, 20:49
You got it, 500N. Which is why I tend to wear my pink tutu, making my balls readily accessible.

Don't come to London as Met Police have got into trouble for fiddling with a Queens nuts............

500N
13th Dec 2013, 20:53
I wouldn't say that if I were you, RGB will be on a flight tonight
if even a remote chance of someone playing with his nuts :O

Suggest take him to a Navy base, he'd like that :O

OFSO
14th Dec 2013, 07:02
Ticks. Now they're a whole new ballgame.

Too true. Up in Germany, Austria and Switzerland they carry a whole load of virus diseases. The authorities there put up signs saying don't wear shorts when walking in the long grass (nothing about pink tutus though). Here in Spain we don't have the virus diseases but the ticks don't wash their biting parts very often (or at all) so you are likely to pick up a bacterial infection.

Oi veh !

Lon More
14th Dec 2013, 07:17
Lots of ticks round herein the past, but haven't seen any since the neighbour stopped rising sheep.

Tankertrashnav
14th Dec 2013, 08:37
... since the neighbour stopped rising sheep.

Rising sheep? Is that a euphemism?

;)

Takan Inchovit
14th Dec 2013, 09:05
The fecund things are infecting certain sports teams as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrbIWnn5G0

arcniz
14th Dec 2013, 10:25
Never seen a tick in the Alps, but one does often have occasion to worry about these critters:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Adult_deer_tick.jpg

Some ticks in N. America carry life-altering pathogens. Lyme disease is hosted by the near-ubiquitous deer-tick, above. Symptoms and effects can last a lifetime and range from weird to scary, not especially curable, nor even easy to diagnose. Under 12-24 hours in the skin is some defense, and in West-coast places deer ticks that have bitten a common type of lizard lose virulence.

Rocky-mountain spotted fever is another tickee gotcha with some miserable mortality associated. Immunizations in advance are said to be quite effective.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/Dermacentor_occidentalis_-Harmony_Headlands_State_Park%2C_California%2C_USA-8.jpg/708px-Dermacentor_occidentalis_-Harmony_Headlands_State_Park%2C_California%2C_USA-8.jpg

500N
14th Dec 2013, 11:22
Lyme disease, have known people who have got it, not nice.

"Rising sheep? Is that a euphemism ?"

He must have spent some time in NZ or with Kiwis :O

OFSO
14th Dec 2013, 12:44
In Germany the ticks carry a disease known in German as Fruhsommermeningitis or in pukka, "Early Summer Meningitis".

When I got a couple of ticks in my groin - as one does in long grass - I was wheeled into hospital to have them removed by a surgeon.

airship
14th Dec 2013, 13:09
I simply blame all such infestations today on the companies which make a living from selling the remedies. Here's how it generally goes:

1) R&D: "We've isolated a "super-critter", genetically-modified it so that the only way to "kill it" is to use our own in-house antidote."

2) Marketing: "That's excellent. We're going to liaise with production and distribution before coming up with a campaign."

3) Special Ops: "TOP SECRET - the most economical way to distribute these "super-bugs" would be via crop-dusting aircraft or similar. This could be done very discretely outside all of the major urban areas. The crop-duster aircraft could also be used in urban areas (beaches, events attracting large crowds etc.) disguised as banner-towing planes. More expensive measures (not to be discounted) would be to infiltrate operatives into say, laundry companies supplying their services to large hotel chains etc. But in order for any of this to work efficiently would require very close coordination between us, marketing and production / distribution.

Until of course, R&D came back, a little late in the day: "Uhmmmm, you know what we said about us having an exclusive antidote et al? Well, the "super-bugs", they uhmmmm, seem to have evolved, once out of the laboratory. They've developed a resistance to our own antidote.

And that's perhaps why folks, your JOHNSON (A family company) RAID anti-mosquito repellents don't work quite as well as they might once have done afew years ago. Or any number of other manufacturers' products once almost guaranteed to repel anything from bedbugs, fleas and ticks... :ok:

lomapaseo
14th Dec 2013, 14:06
Here in Spain we don't have the virus diseases but the ticks don't wash their biting parts very often (or at all) so you are likely to pick up a bacterial infection.

I thought a tick only bit once per season,

racedo
14th Dec 2013, 14:09
In Germany the ticks carry a disease known in German as Fruhsommermeningitis or in pukka, "Early Summer Meningitis".

When I got a couple of ticks in my groin - as one does in long grass - I was wheeled into hospital to have them removed by a surgeon.

You got your nuts chopped off for a tick..............wow Germans don't mess about.

Loose rivets
14th Dec 2013, 17:51
The thing about getting a tick out is to not pull it too quickly. It seems that if one grips the critter and pulls only to the point of the skin lifting a tad, then they have time to gather up their cutting and gripping tools so they are not pulled in half.

Over many years, I have pulled many hundreds of ticks out of the poor sod of a bulldog that lived (past tense) next door. I had some nifty surgical equipment I use for electronics but it was still very time-consuming. While I was away, the owner had taken the hint, but pulled them quickly, and the remains were centered in the resulting scars.

500N
14th Dec 2013, 18:45
Many years ago on the tick I got, Far North Qld, parents put petrol on it,
waited until it released itself and then took it off.

Don't know the current suggested solution to put on them, I am sure a
more modern way has been devised.

lomapaseo
14th Dec 2013, 19:10
Many years ago on the tick I got, Far North Qld, parents put petrol on it,
waited until it released itself and then took it off.

Don't know the current suggested solution to put on them, I am sure a
more modern way has been devised.

just light the petrol and it will come off with the dead skin

500N
14th Dec 2013, 19:12
Loma

Is that wishful thinking on your part for me :O

I might often use the HTFU comment to people but even that
goes a bit far.

OFSO
14th Dec 2013, 20:16
A ball peen hammer'll get the tick off every time.