PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express attachment prob

fradu
12th May 2002, 15:51
Hello,

A friend of mine is experiencing problems with Outlook Express when attempting to attach files to outgoing e-mails.

The program will allow you to activate the "add attachment" feature and then select a file from the various folders.
However when you select the "OK" button to attach the file(s) to the message it puts an unusual icon in the attachments box.

When you then try and send the message it comes up with a error message saying:

"the attachment(s) you have tried to attach to this message cannot be found, please try again."

Several deletions and re-attachments of the files fail to have any effect and we got the same garbage.

When you try and save the attachment (as I tried to do yesterday) it calls the attachment "?????@?????", so something is obviously not quite right.

Can anyone provide advice how to sort the problem out?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Sorry if this isn't clear.

Carpet Rodent
16th May 2002, 18:08
Fradu, this sounds like you have some file corruption within Outlook Express. I'd suggest un-installing it, then putting it back again. Please remember to backup your data files, usually found in the C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Out...\Mail folder, with the extensions .mbx and .idx

Once re-installed, you can copy back your data and the problem should go away. The only other possibility that comes to mind here, is that you may have been clobbered by a virus.

Hope this helps

fradu
16th May 2002, 19:36
Thanks very much "Carpet Rodent"

I will put forward your suggestions to my friend.
I didn't notice any Virus programs running on his PC, so will suggest that he get one.

I should think his copy of Outlook Express came with his Freeserve package, but I will say that only Outlook needs to be wiped, I don't think his Internet settings will be affected with another install.

Thanks again for your help

Mark