PDA

View Full Version : GA routine for entering the pattern

arb65912
13th Dec 2013, 16:46
Hello,

I am totally new here and I hope I am posting at the right sub forum.:)

I have always had that question and I have never ran on a satisfying answer.

Lets say I fly to KMIV and I have the weather info. MIV - Millville Municipal Airport | SkyVector (http://skyvector.com/airport/MIV/Millville-Municipal-Airport)

How do I fly to physically enter the 45 downwind at pattern attitude( assuming that this is how I want to enter the pattern)?

Let's assume I do not have GPS or any kind of moving map I can see my aircraft attitude versus airport layout.

How do I figure out where do I fly and come back to enter the TPA correctly?

English is my second language and I am not a real pilot, just aviation enthusiast and simmer.

I would really appreciate a detailed explanation.

Oh, I forgot, let's assume I am flying into uncontrolled airport and away from Class B, C or D.

Thank you.

Cheers, AJ

dubbleyew eight
14th Dec 2013, 02:37
it used to be simple.

circuits were typically 1000ft above ground.
you approach the airfield at 1500ft above ground.
(you find or guess ground height from a wac chart or the published airfield information. )
you fly over the top of the strip and find the windsock.
you work out which runway is into wind.
you do an orbit to point you at an appropriate part of the circuit.
(this used to be the upwind threshold)
then you descend in the turn and track across to the downwind leg at 1,000ft.
fly downwind until the base turn to start the L shaped landing aid which is the base and finals legs.

a while back commercial operators complained that this all took too long, wasted fuel, didnt look cool, scared passengers and faded the aircraft paint.
so the regulators opened up the environment to other circuit entries.
you can now also do a straight in approach.
you can enter at 45 degrees to the downwind leg.
all these things.

however you approach the circuit you need to keep a lookout and not prang into anyone else.

you will notice that I havent made mention of procedures or radio calls.
your instructor will teach you those.
aviation is not an environment for idiots. remember that.

obgraham
14th Dec 2013, 05:30
Non-towered airport, no Class B,C,D, you say.

You can fly wherever you want to position for downwind entry from the 45. You're not even required to talk on, or even have, a radio.

Now there are some places recognized as not always safe, like in the midst of the arrival and departure areas. Your best choice is usually to cross over the midpoint of the runway, at least 500 feet above pattern altitude, check the windsock, decide which runway you will land on, fly out a mile or two more, and turn back onto the aforementioned 45 to downwind.

You can find all these things described in the FAA's FAR/AIM manual.

arb65912
16th Dec 2013, 16:53
Thank you very much, Gentlemen.

I know that there is no hard rule for the pattern entry and a lot depends on various circumstances.

I assume that practice is my best friend.

Thank you again for the replies.

Cheers, AJ