PDA

View Full Version : Which airline?

Daggen
12th Dec 2013, 19:38
Which airline should I choose for flights in Europe, and why?

I want to enjoy my flight and not feel like I'm stuck in some form of flying tin can, which is the feeling you sometimes get.

Hotel Tango
12th Dec 2013, 20:23
How long is a piece of string?

Beech_Boy
12th Dec 2013, 20:51
Definitely Ryanair

Dash8driver1312
12th Dec 2013, 21:31
Where are you flying to and from? After that, we can form some kind if basis.

Perhaps you could even have a charter flight laid on specially by Classic Wings, for example...

PAXboy
12th Dec 2013, 23:22
Daggen Welcome! :p You've just discovered that 'newbies' don't get many chances ... :eek:

When asking a question, do give maximum information.

which country do you live in?
do you have regular routes?
are you travelling on biz? Own biz?
who's paying?
do you travel alone?
etc.

cavortingcheetah
13th Dec 2013, 04:29
There's only one answer to the question as posed,
Netjets Airways.

ExXB
13th Dec 2013, 07:10
What is more important? Price or schedule?
Are non-stop flights important? Are you willing to make a connection or two?

In the aviation business airlines fly to and from their hubs. i.e. BA flies to/from Heathrow and Gatwick, LH flies to/from FRA/MUC. AF to/from CDG/ORY. BA do not fly between FRA and CDG and LH don't fly between LGW and ORY. So to get the widest choice one would stick with their national carrier, if they live close to a hub.

Of course Ryanair and easyJet are the exception to this rule (wizz to a lessor extent). They fly between many non-hub cities. Of course the LCC model means no connecting flights, sometimes obscure airports and non-refundable fares (depending on the airline, of course).

I'd fly any European airline and vary my expectations accordingly.

strake
13th Dec 2013, 07:55
...feel like I'm stuck in some form of flying tin can...

You are.

So decide whether you want Lobster Bisque or Pork Sausages in Beans.

mixture
16th Dec 2013, 06:47
I want to enjoy my flight and not feel like I'm stuck in some form of flying tin can, which is the feeling you sometimes get.

NetJets.....

Sunnyjohn
16th Dec 2013, 10:45
not feel like I'm stuck in some form of flying tin can You'll be stuck with one hundred or more people in an aluminium tube with hot air coming out of the wings for two or more hours. My advice is to go by train where you will be able to use the toilet without having to queue,view the scenery, easily move if you don't like the immediate company, and quite possiby be able to access a bar/restaurant with food that is prepared without being heated up in a grubby microwave. You will be able to leave from the middle of a city and arrive in the middle of a city, with easy access to accommodation. It will be slightly more expensive and may or may not be longer but it will be infinitely more enjoyable. Good luck with whatever you do.

PAXboy
16th Dec 2013, 12:27
I hereby announce that Daggen is our very own Xmas Troll ... :suspect:

Hotel Tango
16th Dec 2013, 13:00
Thought it all along which is why I didn't waste my time giving a detailed answer ;)

mixture
16th Dec 2013, 13:25
go by train where you will be able to use the toilet without having to queue

Ahem, cough... there is a reason why there is no queue for toilets on the train. :uhoh:

SeenItAll
17th Dec 2013, 20:56
Ahem, cough... there is a reason why there is no queue for toilets on the train.

OK, I'll bite. What is the reason?

ExXB
18th Dec 2013, 09:01
Well the toilets on Swiss trains are usually acceptable there are a few lines (BLS, for example) haven't upgraded to holding tanks for the waste. If you enjoy a cold draft while doing your business they are highly recommend.

On the main lines though, you have lost this {cough} benefit.

Regretfully Swiss trains are only found in Switzerland, with a couple of exceptions.

mixture
18th Dec 2013, 09:37
OK, I'll bite. What is the reason?

You don't take the train much do you ? :roll eyes:

If you enjoy standing around in other people's piss and staring longingly into a toilet bowl scattered with other people's number two's, then be my guest.

SeenItAll
18th Dec 2013, 13:15
I guess I've been fortunate to travel only modern trains recently. Airline style lavs. No worse than at 35,000 feet.

strake
18th Dec 2013, 14:28
I would have thought the reason there is no queue on a train is simply because passengers don't get fed and watered en masse at the same time - or fed at all for that matter.
I don't know why I answered this thread really, maybe the Christmas spirit is upon me...hopefully, soon to be in me as well.

malcolm380
18th Dec 2013, 17:18
I've regularly SLFed on many of the European majors over the last 30 years or so, and I'd say today the answer is without doubt (IMHO) Easyjet. As long as you follow the rules, and maybe splash out the little extra for SpeedyPlus, in my experience they have been unfailingly good. Aircraft clean and comfortable, Cabin staff always friendly and attentive, and a decent selection of hot/cold snacks. My airline of choice for intra-European travel now (not that I do much anymore, since moving to the US)

UniFoxOs
31st Dec 2013, 16:11
I've tried most, and there ain't much difference - some are better at one thing, some at another. Never hesitated to use Ryanair, despite all the negative comments and I've always been satisfied. If I had my pick I'd go with Flybe as best all round, but short haul flights are exactly that - short. I can put up with anything for a couple of hours and a few more beer tokens left in my wallet.

Long haul though - a whole different ball game.