PDA

View Full Version : Who mentioned the Malt Whiskey and what was it ?

OFSO
12th Dec 2013, 12:44
About a week ago, someone mentioned an excellent Malt in a thread: Mrs OFSO wants to buy it for me birthday and has lost the blasted note I gave her !

Help, or I will remain sober on my birthday......

Ancient Mariner
12th Dec 2013, 12:46
Try some Norwegian Line Akevitt instead, I promise you want be sober. :ooh:
Per

OFSO
12th Dec 2013, 12:48
Akevitt

One of two drinks I have forever banned from pouring down me throat. The other being grappa, which uncages my eyeballs after the second glass.

C'mon, what was that malt !

MagnusP
12th Dec 2013, 12:50
OFSO, was it a whiskey or a Scotch? Someone was banging on about Bunnahabhain the other day (pron. boona-haaven)

OFSO
12th Dec 2013, 12:52
Eureke ! I just found it lurking in a long-lost post:

Ardbeg Uigeadail

airship
12th Dec 2013, 13:11
Some good music to accompany the malt, truly appreciating all its' qualities and reflecting on one's own good fortune... :ok:

gordon lightfoot canadian railroad trilogy live in concert bbc 1972 - YouTube

AtomKraft
12th Dec 2013, 13:15
I have that particular Ardbeg, the Uigedahl....

It's wonderful stuff! :ok::ok::ok:

Vercingetorix
12th Dec 2013, 13:19
OFSO,
a classic, enjoy. Me, I'm going for a Laphroaig.
Even in the tropics it conquers.

Cheers.

OFSO
12th Dec 2013, 13:35
I hope it's good. I turned down the 911 the family wanted to buy me for my birthday: the malt is my first choice.

Capetonian
12th Dec 2013, 13:42
It was I who mentioned Ardbeg Uigeadail. As with most Islay single malts, it is an acquired taste, one I have thoroughly and happily acquired. It is a strong, peaty, smoky whisky with the tang of iodine from the sea.

Happily for me, my OH and my son both find the smell disgusting, saying it smells like medicine and they have not ventured to taste it!

All the Ardbeg range are similar, and the 17 yo. (difficult to get) is a good compromise in terms of quality and price.

MagnusP
12th Dec 2013, 14:05
It is a cracking whisky. In the true TRABB spirit (see what I did there?) I can tell you that Uigeadail is the loch where Ardbeg get their water.

rans6andrew
12th Dec 2013, 15:15
I am just getting to the bottom of an Ardbeg, bought a year ago and reserved for special occasions. On reflection I prefer the Laphroaig that I enjoyed last year. I understand that Wa*&^%se has Laphroaig Quarter Cask on offer until the end of the month. Time to stock up, methinks.

As others have observed, it is an aquired taste and the smell is distinct enough to give the game away, no danger of getting away with a secret tipple if Er Indoors is about.

Rans6..........

MagnusP
12th Dec 2013, 15:43
I sympathise. Quarter Cask is probably my favourite reasonably-priced expression of any of the Islay malts, but MrsP can detect it rather too easily. :uhoh:

Smeagol
12th Dec 2013, 15:55
I must admit I like Aberlour, a pretty 'standard' 10 year old malt but with a wonderfully smooth, rich taste and some VERY good offers in the major UK supermarkets just now. Bought a bottle in ASDA a couple of weeks ago for 20 and was rather peeved to see it this week at 16 in Tesco... should have bought some more!

yambat
12th Dec 2013, 19:37
Well Chaps

Enjoy a tipple for me, these fine Malts you mention, mine are in a cabinet far from here.........Christmas in Kuwait!

Yambat

cornish-stormrider
12th Dec 2013, 20:30
Pah
I must be a peasant
I'm a Glenfiddich man, thru and thru
The thirteen that was done a few years ago for the cooper was om nom nom slurp

B Fraser
12th Dec 2013, 20:40
Each to their own. Island malts are my favourite while Glenfiddich to me is cooking whisky. One man's meat etc.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Dec 2013, 20:42
For those who like Islands Malts but want a touch less of the iodine, can I recommend trying Highland Park (Orkneys)?

145qrh
12th Dec 2013, 22:00
I would second the 12yo Highland Park..

If you can find it another Orkney dram is called Scapa -- very very nice.

Lancelot37
12th Dec 2013, 22:31
Had some 18 yr old Glenfiddich in Business class from Perth to Dubai, not impressed. Much better out there.

Bull at a Gate
12th Dec 2013, 22:43
One of the many pleasures that Mrs Gate introduced me to was whisky from Islay. We visited the island in February this year and had a wonderful time tasting as many of the whiskys we could.

One morning I spotted a very attractive hip flask in out hotel room. "When did you buy that?" I asked Mrs Gate. "I didn't buy it, you did after 'tasting' all those whiskys" she replied. Be warned!

Everyone we met made an effort to make us feel welcome, so I highly recommend a visit.

Oh - and Ardbeg Galileo is spectacularly good.

Romeo Oscar Golf
13th Dec 2013, 01:36
If you can find it another Orkney dram is called Scapa -- very very nice.

My golfing partner is ex Ballantines Exec. Still gets cheap booze. He gifted me a bottle of 16yr old Scapa for letting him win!! Tells me it costs him 18....... I guess he'll be winning a few more games now.

BenThere
13th Dec 2013, 02:15
I've bought a few Caol Ila bottles over the years and, though they don't score too highly on the ratings, I've found them to be admirably smoky/peaty as I like my scotch. A very nice late night tipple, straight up.

It's an Islay you have to search to purchase here in the States. $55/750ml in Michigan, $45/litre at the Mexico City airport duty-free until they quit carrying it a couple of months ago.

As I type, I'm suffering through a 15 year old Glenfiddich on the rocks.

Pinky the pilot
13th Dec 2013, 06:04
I should think that Con-pilot would know of some really good single malts.:ok:

Paging Con-pilot!

MagnusP
13th Dec 2013, 08:14
Eeek! Checked the cupboard last night, and I'm down to a bottle of Singleton and one of Ledaig. I suppose I have a few items to add to the pre-festive shopping list tomorrow.

unstable load
14th Dec 2013, 15:10
It's not a Scotch whisky, but you could do a LOT worse than Kilbeggan.:ok:

OFSO
14th Dec 2013, 15:15
Incidently my daily tipple is Powers Gold Label, not a malt at all of course, but jolly good. I even caught the mem' using it for cooking with last week (and put a stop to THAT right away, I can tell you.)

Greek God
14th Dec 2013, 23:11
Had a small altercation with a bottle of 18 yr Caol Ila a few months back which unfortunately met its demise! It was that good I tried to replace it to find we had just trashed a 300 bottle of Malt. It had been lurking in the back of my cabinet for about 10 years after purchase for the princley sum of 58. If only I had bought a case!
Mind you it was that good I'd probably do it again!