PDA

View Full Version : CPDLC in Europe.

FE Hoppy
11th Dec 2013, 18:41
Quick poll, who is using it and how's it working for you?

smallfry
11th Dec 2013, 19:09
We are. Global Vision. Works very well.
:O

Denti
11th Dec 2013, 23:43
We used to use it. But after a recent software update on the ground (EDYY and EDUU) we are currently not allowed to use it anymore as it apparently can disable the ground infrastructure. B737NG.

To be honest it had more of a novelty factor than real use and ATCOs often used voice comm instead as the canned CPDLC messages were not flexible enough for real world usage. Not to mention that it is much slower as well.

Wizofoz
12th Dec 2013, 03:53
Agree it would be of limited use over congested airspace, but i recently did NCE-JFK, and logging on to London, then having it seamlessly change to Shannon then Shanwick, Oceanic received over ACARS, then off over the pond was very nice indeed.

swh
12th Dec 2013, 11:01
Denti,

It is a "simple" software mod in the digital radio on the aircraft, only applies to 3 Rockwell Collins models. Basically the aircraft radio will not transmit unless it senses no other radios are transmitting (that is CSMA). The ground station sends a heartbeat message to each aircraft every 2 minutes, if the aircraft fails to respond to 3 of these, the network locks the aircraft out (in ATC talk it is known as a provider abort). The cone head medical diagnosis of this is call VHF digital radio deafness, of VDR deafness for short.

Al Murdoch
13th Dec 2013, 08:31
We use it in Maastricht and London and while I can see the argument that it is of limited use in congested airspace, it has one benefit which is to reduce frequency congestion by mainly using it for frequency changes (without voice backup).

Skyjob
13th Dec 2013, 08:41
CPDLC is still in its infancy to where it wants and needs to be to become a game changer.

We do not (yet) use it, but transit several provider sectors. My previous airline was already equipped.

Ultimately the CPDLC aim is (but not limited) to:

reduce radio congestion on the old VHF;
reduce dialect issues requiring rereading clearances due lack of understandability;
enable more direct routings to be given and acknowledged to crew;
enable vertical clearances/restriction to be given and acknowledged to crew;
enable a more flexible use of airspace for all involved;
... the list goes on.

Personally, I can't wait until CPDLC is implemented properly, like several other EuroControl projects out there at present which can, and if implemented correctly by an airline, will make a huge financial and time saving.