PDA

View Full Version : British panel shows....plain crass?

ruddman
11th Dec 2013, 15:50
Got hooked on Would I Lie To You. Worth watching just for David Mitchell and Lee Mack.

So then I start getting into other panel shows.....aussie's seem to get the panel show format and British humour over the American talk show format. Although Rove was the exception to the rule, it was still as boring as dogs vomit.

Anyway, I start watching 8 out 10 cats....and the countdown version which was great with the various comedians making a boring format, well, funny.

Except one thing. The swearing! Seriously? F words etc on panel game shows? Crass talk and gutter humour? Other late night talk shows similar.

At one point on ' cats does countdown, Jon Richardson asks the beautiful Rachel Riley why she's never drawn a co.ck and balls on her whiteboard. So guess what, she does! With numbers spewing out the end!! :eek:

And the Poms have the hide to say us Aussies have no class. :ugh:

I'm starting to think the poms actually sent the classiest to the colony and left the dregs....the majority....behind. :ok:

cavortingcheetah
11th Dec 2013, 16:23
There are certainly a lot of vulgarians sprinkled around among that island's drunkards and there's been little about in the way of class since early 1918.

Krystal n chips
11th Dec 2013, 17:09
Sadly, the OP has been devoid of decent panel shows it would seem.....may one suggest H.I.G.N.F.Y. and "Only Connect" although one admits that as this show is chaired by Victoria Coren Mitchell, irrespective of the content one would feel, erm, compelled to watch.......

Other than that, pretty much spot on......unadulterated ( rude word for faecal matter ).....

603DX
11th Dec 2013, 17:18
ruddman, very observant of you to spot one of the regrettable features of what is transmitted in certain programmes in this 21st century plethora of channels offered by satellite and cable. I also dislike being subjected to a barrage of effing and blinding in what has traditionally been regarded as "light entertainment".

So I use the TV remote to ignore the dross, garbage and obscenity that some sections of the viewing audience clearly regard as acceptably amusing nowadays, and apply the useful human capacity of selectivity. I find that there is plenty of quality programme material available by simply clicking through until I find intelligent/humorous/thrilling/educational stuff that isn't produced by highly paid idiots for others with equally low-level tastes to watch. I recommend this approach ... ;)

And regarding your comment that you believe that we Poms think Aussies have no class, I couldn't disagree more. I have several Oz friends, and have had the pleasure of working with many engineers of Australian origins, and can honestly say that I haven't yet met one that I didn't like and respect. Sure, your direct manner and lack of airs and graces can differ from the social customs of the typical uptight Brit, but I personally find that refreshing. An Ozmate is usually a good mate ... :ok:

jumpseater
11th Dec 2013, 17:21
You could always ask the AAIB, they'll be able to tell you all about plain crass, they investigate lots of them.

superq7
11th Dec 2013, 17:45
I agree with Krystal I think HIGNFY is very good but I think they should bring back Angus Deayton, some of the guest presenters can't hack it.

Flap 5
11th Dec 2013, 17:51
Have I Got News For You
QI
Mock the Week

To name three decent ones worth watching.

El Grifo
11th Dec 2013, 18:13
For sure that about covers it Flap !!

El G.

ricardian
11th Dec 2013, 18:16
News Quiz Extra on Radio 4 Extra is worth listening to. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03k3drs)

Rossian
11th Dec 2013, 18:23
......only if you're in to sneery, "right on", left wing opinions. With the two mandatory lesbians. It used to be a really funny programme but over the last year or two it has become (to me) insufferably smug and self referential.

But what do I know?

The Ancient Mariner

RAC/OPS
11th Dec 2013, 19:13
I don't get QI - to me it seems to be Stephen Fry showcasing what a clever [email protected] he is while the panel are agape in wonder. Heaven forbid if a guest shows his or her knowledge.

tony draper
11th Dec 2013, 19:38
Only panel show I watch is QI,cant say cant say I ever caught any of the others except in passing,they seem to clones, job creation schemes for comedians in the slow season,I find I prefer wit to plain comedy now.
:)

axefurabz
11th Dec 2013, 21:39
......only if you're in to sneery, "right on", left wing opinions. With the two mandatory lesbians. It used to be a really funny programme but over the last year or two it has become (to me) insufferably smug and self referential.Agreed. Maybe it's an age thing but I find that I can't take very much of J, Hardy on this prog nowadays.

The Ancient Mariner Thought that was Per :uhoh:

Andu
11th Dec 2013, 23:30
I've only recently stumbled across Eggheads. There are some seriously clever people among the contestants there - unlike the contestants in the vast majority of Ozmate quiz shows, which seem to be slanted to Bruce and Sheila Westie.

I enjoy listening to Paul & George on Sydney's 2UE on the weekends - the only time I listen to that station. They have a quiz each day, and if the level of general knowledge displayed by the vast majority of those who call in to take part in these quizzes is anything to go by, I should feel very uncomfortable about the demographic I quite obviously belong to.

Ancient Mariner
12th Dec 2013, 07:21
No, no axefurabz, Rossian is The Ancient Mariner, I am the Ancient Mariner.
Per

beaufort1
12th Dec 2013, 07:29
I sometimes watch 'Pointless' late afternoon on BBC1. Quite addictive and an unusual format.

pvmw
12th Dec 2013, 07:42
Agree with TAM about the News Quiz. I used to really enjoy it, these days I just find it incredibly irritating. I feel the same about Fry, pompous, self-important and smug are the adjectives I'd apply to him - can't stand him.

Surprised no-one has mentioned I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue. Brilliant! I didn't think it could survive the loss of "Humph", but in Jack Dee they found the perfect replacement. They briefly trialled Fry for that as well, thank Christ someone had enough sense not to keep him.

H.I.G.N.F.Y. can be a bit of a curate's egg - it rather depends on who the presenter and guests are. I had to switch off when the fat bint Jo Brand was presenting - completely lacking in any form of talent at all.

UniFoxOs
12th Dec 2013, 07:59
I've only recently stumbled across Eggheads. There are some seriously SMUG, SELF-IMPORTANT, POSING people

Fixed that for you.

And - is the "antidote to panel games" still going? Used to love that many years ago on a 100 mile commute I had to do for a year.