PDA

View Full Version : O Canada

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 14:51
Canada, not to be outdone by anyone, seems to be prepared to annex the North Pole, laying claim to it as their very own. (Does this mean Santa will become a Canadian.)

I find it extremely appropriate that Canada lays such a claim. After all, what really does come out of Canada aside from cold and snow anyway? :}

PS: HOW is Canada going to annex the North Pole? Are they going to lay seige to it, battling against penguins? Are they going to launch a barrage of snow balls aimed squarely at the inhabitant polar bears? Or are they going threaten the world with melting all the snow and ice at the pole if they don't get their way?

Lonewolf_50
11th Dec 2013, 15:01
HOW is Canada going to annex the North Pole?
Are they going to lay seige to it, battling against penguins?
Are they going to launch a barrage of snow balls aimed squarely at the inhabitant polar bears?
1. They have already sponsored the elfin revolution, so will have it as a client state in preparation for annexation.
2. There are no penguins at the North Pole.
3. Not as big a problem as fighting all those seals up there ... :}

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 15:02
Its Canada so they will organise a kumbaye sing along and then batter the seals.

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:04
Our Inuit Rangers have it covered.

Apparantly they're all multi millionares through the Lotto because if you have to be Inuit to win it.......

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 15:06
Groaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Ancient Mariner
11th Dec 2013, 15:07
1. They will, like Russia use an U-boat considering there's no land mass for the non-exisitng penguins to stand on.
Per

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:09
LW50:

There are no penguins at the North Pole?

What are these then, black and white cows? :}

http://bayd.info/dwn/domatus_pic/data/php29W3AH6_Penguin-Crowd_620.jpg

airship
11th Dec 2013, 15:14
...3. Not as big a problem as fighting all those seals up there ... :}

"This is your pilot speaking. We're just flying over the Newfoundland ice-banks. The red spotches on the ice below you might have noticed are actually microscopic algae blooms. We'll soon be commencing our approach and descent into Toronto Pearson. Thank you for flying Canadian "Club Class". :ok:

PS. WOW! You have some difficulty in knowing "which way is up" apparently?! Never mind Haile Selassie rgbrock, you're not the 1st emperor to have got things wrong... :p

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:14
LW50:

I stand corrected, sir. There are indeed no penguins at the North Pole. As a matter of fact, there are no penguins anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere except for a small group who are located on the northern areas of the Galapagos
islands.

I did not know this. But, hey, ya live and learn! :ok:

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:15
Rubbish, there's loads of them in London Zoo.

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:16
Well, Dak Man, there are a bunch of penguins in the Bronx Zoo as well. (The ones which haven't been stolen or mugged yet, anyway.) But I don't think the ones in a Zoo count!

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:25
Many years ago I went on a school trip to Windsor Safari park, I must've been 12 or 13; on the way home on the bus it was discovered that one of the usual suspects had a penguin in his school bag, a not too pleased teacher had to drive back to Windsor with it.

ruddman
11th Dec 2013, 15:27
They probably want the North Pole to play their ice hockey on. If they can find ice...:bored:

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:27
The "suspect" stole a penguin and put it in his school bag? Wow. Was the suspect from the Bronx? :}:E

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:29
No, Rhydfelin - much worse.

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:35
There are a lot of Welsh in the Bronx!!!! :}

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:37
All from Rhydfelin no doubt, beware ones carrying school bags.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Dec 2013, 15:40
Map of the disputed areas here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/pdfs/06_08_08_arcticboundaries.pdf

airship
11th Dec 2013, 15:42
Instead of paying serious attention to Prince Harry's current exploits in Antarctica (whether or not in a good cause), I'd suggest that we seriously examine all the possibilities of transferring a viable population of Canadian polar bears to the south Pole (or Emperor penguins to the north Pole and as a temporary solution for hungry polar bears)...?! :8

clunckdriver
11th Dec 2013, 15:44
Its been Canadian ever since we left a brand new Twin Otter on the bottom at the exact geographic North Pole, the Ruskies only put a plaque on the bottom, doesnt count chaps, the Twin Otter was 25years ahead of them, the objects often mistaken for Penguins are in fact an obscure order of nuns who are trying to save our souls, what they dont understand is that most of us want to finish up someplace warm!

Dushan
11th Dec 2013, 15:45
They probably want the North Pole to play their ice hockey on. If they can find ice...:bored:

Are we at this again? It's hockey. Period. Full stop. There is no need to qualify hockey. There is only one kind. Hockey.

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 15:47
Yes Dush, just like there's only 1 kind of football.

superq7
11th Dec 2013, 15:48
So you can play ice hockey on the grass ?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Dec 2013, 15:49
The only possible use for that much ice is to play hockey on. Who has the most Gold Medals for Hockey?

http://thebesttraveldestinations.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/The-national-animal-in-Canada-The-Beaver.jpg

End of!

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:50
superq:

Yes, some people play hockey after smoking grass.

Oh, on the grass. Never mind.

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 15:51
Fox3 wrote:

Who has the most Gold Medals for Hockey?

Chad? Senegal? Lichtenstein? Outter Mongolia?

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Dec 2013, 15:54
http://media.lonelyplanet.com/lpi/18770/18770-21/681x454.jpg

Well, apparently they play, but I wouldn't fancy their chances against

http://thesecretsofvancouver.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/capt.olywh22802260340.vancouver_olympics_ice_hockey_olywh228 .jpg

superq7
11th Dec 2013, 16:02
I was in NYC recently and saw the Rangers play at MS Garden the team was nearly all Canadian, hardly any softy Yanks can play it :E

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 16:03
Is that an example of Canadian Beaver?

Octopussy2
11th Dec 2013, 16:03
Chaps, given that it appears that hockey (as distinct from ice hockey) has been played in Europe since medieval times, then I'm afraid it's correct that the designator "ice" should remain, so as to distinguish between the original sport and the new derivative, played on ice.

Since arriving in this country, I have been attempting to educate the locals (who seem to be labouring under the same misapprehension as some of you) as to the correct terminology. :E

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 16:05
superq:

No surprise there: most American hockey players are Canadian, Russian, Czech, Polish or some other Slavic country. Very few native-born Americans play ICE hockey.

(Emphasis on ICE, Dushan, because here in the U.S. there is also a sport called Field Hockey.)

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2013, 16:09
Oh dear.:(

BBC News - Putin orders Russian military to boost Arctic presence (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25331156)

ruddman
11th Dec 2013, 16:15
Hmmm......weird. Only hockey I see is what's played in the biggest sporting competitions, Olympics, World championships etc.

Ice hockey is on late and seems to be a regional competition in alaska or canada or wherever.

:E

TRY2FLY
11th Dec 2013, 16:43
I thought the magnetic North Pole lived somewhere about Canada these days

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 16:51
try2fly:

The magnetic north pole is, as you inferred, moving. As of 2012 it has moved beyond Canadian territorial claims on its way toward Russian territorial claims.

Dushan
11th Dec 2013, 16:54

Don't know what "ice hockey" is. You can't play hockey on grass, but you can play field hockey on grass...

Clear?

Dushan
11th Dec 2013, 16:55
Yes Dush, just like there's only 1 kind of football.

Well there are two kinds. Canadian Football and American Football, generally refered to as football.

Clear?

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 16:58
What about Rugby football, Aussie rules football and association football?

rgbrock1
11th Dec 2013, 17:10
And what about American football and American baseball and... and.. and...

Miley Cyrus's butt?

ExXB
11th Dec 2013, 17:16
Ici, c'est hockey sur glace.

Dak Man
11th Dec 2013, 17:18
Eggsakurly, you have to differentiate to make it meaningful.

Dushan
11th Dec 2013, 17:22
(Emphasis on ICE, Dushan, because here in the U.S. there is also a sport called Field Hockey.)

RGB, your Rangers credentials notwithstanding, I would suggest it would be extremely unwise to cal it "ICE hockey" anywhere North of the 49th (figuratively speaking).

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Dec 2013, 17:32
I remember turning up at Calgary airport with a party of schoolgirls from England. The Immigration Officer asked the reason for our visit.
"We're here to play hockey"
He looked at the girls, leaned towards me confidentially and said
"You're going to get killed"
Realising, I replied
"Sorry, it's field hockey"
He looked relieved and wished us a pleasant stay!

Lonewolf_50
11th Dec 2013, 17:48
And what about American football and American baseball and... and.. and...

Miley Cyrus's butt?
There's a different kind of ball handling going on there ... :p

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 18:33
Rubbish, there's loads of them in London Zoo.

And in Iceland....................

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 18:35

and on the Crystal Meth and Beer....................Man