PDA

View Full Version : Structural Failure

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 13:54
In fifty years of motoring I never had this happen before.

Although the rear tires on the Mondeo last for ever (70,000 kms of driving and 5mm of tread left) my right rear Michelin was losing air steadily. I couldn't see any nails, screws or other penetrative objects so took the car in to my friendly tire company today.

The owner whipped it off and into the bath and showed me air leaking from three adjoining sipes. Checked the tire serial number, nodded his head, and said "structural failure" or something like that in Catalan.

Cure: new tire.

Anyone else had this ?

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 13:57
Nope as local tyre place generally talk in English not Catalan.

sitigeltfel
11th Dec 2013, 13:58
As well as tread life, car tyres have a structural life.

From the RAC site

Can a tyre be too old?

Car tyres can deteriorate with age. A tyre thatís been sitting in the spare wheel well for years, even though itís never been used and has plenty of tread could be ready for retirement.
Heat, sunlight, ozone and other environmental conditions can all cause deterioration of the rubber compounds. In service this can lead to tyre failures.
Some industry experts suggest that worn out or not, a tyre may have passed its useful life after about five years, however this is not recognized in law.
A production date code is usually moulded into the tyre sidewall. Consult a reputable dealer for further advice on interpreting this code.

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 14:12
Nope as local tyre place generally talk in English

They employ English-speaking workers in Darkest Surrey, then ?

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 14:18
Nope as local tyre place generally talk in English

They employ English-speaking workers in Darkest Surrey, then ?

Yup, Poles, Latvians, Lithuanians.................Johnny local is still in bed from a hard night of Xboxing.

airship
11th Dec 2013, 14:27
Dare I tread: When is a tire, not a tyre?

Dash8driver1312
11th Dec 2013, 14:31
When it's a flat?

LowNSlow
11th Dec 2013, 14:42
I changed the rear tyres on the wife's car even though they had plenty of tread left as they were starting to crack on the sidewalls due to age.

One of the front tyres would not maintain pressure even though there was no sign of a puncture. When the tyre man took the tyre off there was a large puff of white dust as the corrosion blew off. The inside of the rim where the tyre bead sits needed dressing to remove the corrosion to allow the new tyre to seat properly. Apparently this has become more common with the advent of hand car washers who use a pretty strong acidic solution to get your alloy wheels nice and shiny. This solution doesn't get rinsed off the inside edge of the wheel after washing and slowly corrodes the rim where the liquid is held against it by the tyre.The corrosion then passes under the tyre bead and rots the wheel away under the tyre. Motto of the story? Hose down the inner side of your wheels after visiting the car wash!

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 14:52
Hose down more than that after visiting this one:

Topless girls get cops in a lather | NT News (http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/only-in-the-territory/topless-girls-get-cops-in-a-lather/story-fnk2tg5d-1226745032783)

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 14:57
Hose down more than that after visiting this one:

Topless girls get cops in a lather | NT News (http://apicdn.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=1e857e7500cdd32403f752206c297a3d&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast%2F529676-structural-failure.html&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ntnews.com.au%2Fnews%2Fonly-in-the-territory%2Ftopless-girls-get-cops-in-a-lather%2Fstory-fnk2tg5d-1226745032783&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pprune.org%2Fjet-blast-16%2F)

Different type of structural failure.................gravity and aged related.

airship
11th Dec 2013, 14:59
...use a pretty strong acidic solution to get your alloy wheels nice and shiny That makes a lot of sense, and should include most automatic car washes (though I believe you mean't alcaline, not acidic)...?!

I've yet to come across any "automatic car-wash" which also washes the underside of the vehicle though. Should be quite straight-forward to implement though, consisting of a few omni-directional water-jets embedded in the surface of the car-wash space. We'll have to wait for the US lawyers to launch their own first "class-action" lawsuits against automatic car-wash operators and/or manufacturers there. If they're successful, then we might see some beneficial changes here in Europe in 10 years or so. But I wouldn't bet on that. These hopes may be swiftly deflated. :sad:

Dushan
11th Dec 2013, 15:10
He probably looked at the date of manufacture, not the serial number. It looks like this usually "14-09" meaning 14th week of 2007 when the tire was manufactured. Any tire older than 5 years should be replace regardless of thread depth. The structure of the wall becomes brittle, especially in sunny climates.

llondel
11th Dec 2013, 16:17
The spare on my car has been stuck in its position under the car
since 1999, never been used.

At least I assume it's still there, not looked recently

Ancient Mariner
11th Dec 2013, 16:34
Airship, "automatic car-washes" here have had systems for washing the underside of the car for at least 20 years and counting.
You get what you pay for, and specify.
Per

airship
11th Dec 2013, 16:52
Ancient Mariner, you may well be right (concerning the automatic car-washes) where you're located. It wouldn't surprise me if in more nothern climates, they had these to "wash away" the accumulated salt from winter de-gritting etc.

But here in the south of France, have never come across any such-equipped. Almost as astounding as when I bought my 1st new washing machine (laundry) here almost 20 years ago. Equipped with a single (cold-water) inlet, I'd expected both "hot" and "cold" water-inlets, by previous experience living in UK... :(

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2013, 17:05
Tell me again, what did per se?

G-CPTN
11th Dec 2013, 17:06
Equipped with a single (cold-water) inlet, I'd expected both "hot" and "cold" water-inlets, by previous experience living in UK...
European standard I'm afraid.

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2013, 17:08
I recall having a 'meeting' with some Michelin bods c 1965. My Jag MkII still had loads of tread, but the sidewalls failed. Seems at least, they're consistent.

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 18:55
Oh how boring JB is without Slasher ! I'd hoped to steer the discussion into the paths of unrighteousness with discussion of the merits and otherwise (if any) of topless car washes, but here we are having swerved back onto lengthy perusal of sidewalls, deterioration of tyres due to sunlight (never seems to effect condoms) and hot-water inlets for washing machines.

TANJ !

500N
11th Dec 2013, 18:59
OFSO

I have had (and noticed when out bush) that a heavy knock or two
on a tyre can be deadly to a tyre and fracture something that causes
what you call "structural failure". In my case a bit of delamination
and leaking of air.

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 19:33
a heavy knock or two

Which are plentiful now that roads are not being repaired here any more - ten years ago they were billiard-table smooth, not any longer.

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 19:41
Ancient Mariner, you may well be right (concerning the automatic car-washes) where you're located. It wouldn't surprise me if in more nothern climates, they had these to "wash away" the accumulated salt from winter de-gritting etc.

But here in the south of France, have never come across any such-equipped. Almost as astounding as when I bought my 1st new washing machine (laundry) here almost 20 years ago. Equipped with a single (cold-water) inlet, I'd expected both "hot" and "cold" water-inlets, by previous experience living in UK... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif

To my shock that is now position in UK.

500N
11th Dec 2013, 19:42
We have those types of roads as well !!!

The one's out bush, non stop corrugations that shake the car to bits
with a bone jarring "wash out" if you don't notice it before you hit it :rolleyes:

gunbus
11th Dec 2013, 19:46
Ever driven in Surrey ? :E

vulcanised
11th Dec 2013, 20:50
I was hoping the "structural failure" was going to refer to a bra disgorging its contents.

4mastacker
11th Dec 2013, 21:07
...Bit of boob never hurt anyone".

Love that quote from the NT News. Quite true,Ö. until the wife finds out.

OFSO
11th Dec 2013, 21:23
a bra disgorging its contents

disgorging ? Well, I suppose it is a bit of "pouring out". I would have thought "releasing" a more appropriate word that caters for all sizes from A to G

vulcanised
11th Dec 2013, 22:29
I leave the poetic stuff to you http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/tongue.gif

axefurabz
11th Dec 2013, 23:14
disgorging ? Well, I suppose it is a bit of "pouring out". I would have thought "releasing" a more appropriate word that caters for all sizes from A to G This from the man who said ... sunlight (never seems toeffectcondoms)...? :eek:

John Hill
11th Dec 2013, 23:18
I dont give a hoot about the hooters, what about that old ute in the background? Is it salvageable?

dubbleyew eight
12th Dec 2013, 02:09
I took a tyre in to bridgestone for delamination problems that got the entire staff attention.
"what a bridgestone has delaminated? what speed were you doing ?"
oh 125.
"how old is the tyre?"
dunno.
"on the side of the tyre is a date stamp. go tell us what it says."
errrr 88
"you're kidding. it is 24 years old, you've driven it at 125 for how long???"
hundreds of kilometres.
"I think when we take it off the rim you should frame it. that has been an incredible tyre"

:E:E:E

500N
12th Dec 2013, 02:49
" I dont give a hoot about the hooters, what about that old ute in the background? Is it salvageable?"
I somehow doubt it.

It is Darwin, unless it is undercover, it will be stuffed, as in rusted through.

I touched a car panel a few years ago, just my hand on it lightly,
it gave way :rolleyes:

onetrack
13th Dec 2013, 02:13
This entire thread is rather tiring. It just goes round and round. It's left me feeling totally deflated and quite flat. I thought it might be a result of all the pressure.

500N
13th Dec 2013, 02:15
one track

Sounds like the valve might go, you need to blow off some steam.

ExSp33db1rd
13th Dec 2013, 08:55
"14-09" meaning 14th week of 2007

???? Am I missing something ?

cockney steve
13th Dec 2013, 13:17
^^^^^ just beat me to it!...of course, he meant "a four digit date-code, the first two being the week number and the last two being the year"

@ Airship...that'll be ALKALINE, then?

@ Racedo , et al. the single -fill does save the manufacturer another valve, wiring same to thermostat, internal hose, etc.
The sales-pitch argument is:- hot water is normally at a lower pressure and flow-rate to the cold supply. The hot water-supply to the machine is a "dead-leg" therefore the standing water is at ambient...filling with hot only, could damage delicate fabrics, therefore both valves opened simultaneously... By the time the machine was full to level, very little hot water had entered the machine, but the supply -pipe was now full of rapidly -cooling water...to save energy, just fill with cold and heat the exact amount within the machine , via the built-in immersion -heater.

Quite logical, really , and hard to argue against !

Funny how tyres in the sixties ,had no life limitations, even in the 50's there was stuff driving around on the pre-war tyres it had been laid-up on..

60's saw a rash of Dunlops which had radial splits in the sidewall-rubber, exposing the cords. Never bought a Dunlop since!
Avons on Rolls Royce Shadows and spirits....crack at the point where the steel belt and textile cords meet (shoulder of tread) also have a tendancy to distort into an ellipse (should that be an ovoid? ) with the bulge on the inner edge being displaced 180* from the bulge on the outer tread....a fearsome vibration and banging ensues, consistent with a bent or broken drive shaft. the "out of round" is not readily noticeable unless you know about it and even more disturbing, is the tendancy for the steel belt to spontaneously realign itself , before 2 bald patches appear :eek:

I think the exhortations that "tyres have a limited calendar life" is a marketing exercise and an excuse to use a poor quality carcase-rubber to ensure that this is a self-fulfilling prophesy.

To put it bluntly....A RIPOFF to sell more tyres!

Dushan
13th Dec 2013, 13:31
"14-09" meaning 14th week of 2007

???? Am I missing something ?

Yes, my brain fart...

14th week of 2009.

OFSO
13th Dec 2013, 13:57
I still want to know if condoms have a limited life and if severe jolts and bangs cause them to split.

racedo
13th Dec 2013, 14:05
I still want to know if condoms have a limited life and if severe jolts and bangs cause them to split.

You reckon you will get a chance to use them again ? if don't buy wife what she wants for Christmas she may save you money in the future.
Idea brings tears to eyes and pain elsewhere.