PDA

View Full Version : Qatar/Staa

Puzzles
11th Dec 2013, 07:16
Hi, does anyone know if the cadets from STAA have gone for their Qatar Airline interview? Last I heard, interviews were supposed to be held in August/September.

wonderland
11th Dec 2013, 10:56
Omg, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, didnt this money making scheme go up in smoke? The thread mysteriously disappeared, along with all the wide eyed bushy tailed hopefuls who screamed hell and high water when we mentioned that this course wasn't going to happen. "oh, such a big airline, they won't cancel it one", or "they say waiting for the airline people to come do final interview."

What a waste of a day going to SMU.......:D

training wheels
12th Dec 2013, 00:09
Where's Stallone? He usually has all the inside intel on what's happening with cadet programs.

N5748E
12th Dec 2013, 03:10
Hmmm, I believe Stallone is busy filming the new Rocky movie.

Puzzles
12th Dec 2013, 03:17
Exactly. I was following that thread and it disappeared.. "mysteriously" maybe?

It seems that there's a trial phase going on whereby the ground-school is free. How's that gonna work?

Wonderland, you went for the interview?

I also heard that the president is stepping down. Any idea why?

N5748E
12th Dec 2013, 22:03
Leaving? Normal human instinct, when s*** hits a fan, what do you do? Ans: YOU RUN!

SFC172N
14th Dec 2013, 01:34
"Have you ever wondered perhaps a proper answer to receive from would be to email the organisation? Perhaps those advocating for it got their answer and have moved on from replying here since no one else has any proper information!"

Do share what replies STAA gave them, else you are also just quoting your feelings.
What if I told you that now all calls and email went cold, they don't wanna reply as there is nothing to say. Just ask you to wait.

Good bye to $300 selection fee for nothing, not even an answer. Current status is waiting indefinitely.

wonderland
14th Dec 2013, 02:52
Ouch captain toy boy, you burnt me there.

Don't want to fly with me? Don't talk like that till you start flying, your atpl ground phase doesn't even start till dec 31st. Have fun at SFC. I'll be keeping my eye on you, btw, I'm closer then you think...

Stallone
14th Dec 2013, 10:18
:ooh::ooh: looking for me?

the programme is probably waiting for all the stuff to be approved before it can truly commence

it still is in the pipeline, just a little slow.

STAA changing its head is normal, which organization doesn't change CEO? STAA isn't Manchester united sticking with the boss for 26years

wonderland
15th Dec 2013, 07:46
Well, since you were the "bigger man" and apologized, let me explain...

There are 2 schemes here, self-sponsored, and P2F. A lot of people get them mixed up. For e.g. a self sponsored cadet from say, TigerAir, pays for his training all the way up to type rating, and maybe a bank order is given as a bond for the line training. I won't know I am not from TigerAir.

P2F on the other hand, is pretty much a guy who probably did his training ranging from some of the best schools e.g. CAE / CTC / Bristol / etc. or from flying schools SO bad, that they generate their own coriolis effect and people just deviate away from them, these sh*t hole establishments are normally around in Asia, Africa, and some are in the US of A. These guys would normally join as FIs or GA pilots to build hours, and then transition to jets, but there are those few, who paid scrupulous airlines or agents to "build hours" in the right hand seat of a medium range jet transport (MRJT) straight after getting their CPL/IR.

So when these guys decide to pay their way, guess what happens? It's similar to having two children, and giving only 1 a piece of the candy, the other kid will look on and start whining why he cant get 1 too.

Put this in an airline perspective, other airlines will look and say, "hey, there are idiots out there willing to pay for base checks, medicals, EVEN TO WORK FOR US!" And in the ever so Singaporean accent, you can say "whoa spoil market bro!"

flying.monkeyz
15th Dec 2013, 13:44
how do you know that this scheme will not happen?

Yes kindly enlighten because I'm waiting for the course to begin.

wonderland
15th Dec 2013, 20:01
To be able to be allowed to do a course for an airline such as Qatar, it needs to be recognized, vetted, and approved by the national aviation authority, and normally middle eastern nations just "copy n paste" from JAA in the old days and EASA currently. Let's just say it was never done.

And I can tell you one thing about STAA, they like to make sure they get the customers paid up and ready before they even prepare the product. E.g. Some private candidates went through the whole course saying they'll be inducted by Tiger at the end, and at the end, they said no such thing. And a whole bunch of private guys jumped ship because they were being pushed aside for the MPL programs, CSA, and other guys, last I know, those guys were averaging a few hrs in 3-4 mths.

Stallone
15th Dec 2013, 23:00
The Qatar guys are already auditing the flight school of STAA

To those waiting, lots of patience needed. But I do agree that perhaps the interviews started way bit early as there are still some stuff awaiting approval by respective authorities to get the course started.

Stallone
15th Dec 2013, 23:13
Exactly. I was following that thread and it disappeared.. "mysteriously" maybe?

It seems that there's a trial phase going on whereby the ground-school is free. How's that gonna work?

Wonderland, you went for the interview?

I also heard that the president is stepping down. Any idea why?

Omg, like a Phoenix rising from the ashes, didnt this money making scheme go up in smoke? The thread mysteriously disappeared, along with all the wide eyed bushy tailed hopefuls who screamed hell and high water when we mentioned that this course wasn't going to happen. "oh, such a big airline, they won't cancel it one", or "they say waiting for the airline people to come do final interview."

What a waste of a day going to SMU.......

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/514291-st-aviation-academy-train-qatar-airways-mpl-cadet-pilots.html

still there.

Puzzles
16th Dec 2013, 07:05
Thank you guys, for your colourful and insightful replies.

Mr. Wonderland, do you think that STAA prioritizes MPL cadets over CPL cadets, hence the group jump, to probably another FTO?

A couple of hours in 3-4 months? That's some horrible statistics.

I also agree with Mr.SFC172N.
Emails go cold as you wait indefinitely.

wonderland
16th Dec 2013, 10:32
"Thank you guys, for your colourful and insightful replies.

Mr. Wonderland, do you think that STAA prioritizes MPL cadets over CPL cadets, hence the group jump, to probably another FTO?

A couple of hours in 3-4 months? That's some horrible statistics.

I also agree with Mr.SFC172N.
Emails go cold as you wait indefinitely."

It's gonna be hear-say but a group just left Ballarat recently, their MPL program requires them to do 88hr of flying, and they accomplished it in 6-7 mths.

The CPL program on the other hand, don't know if it is SG7 or SG8, I have no idea how they are coming along.

But it's pretty obvious the airline cadets from China Southern and TigerAir get priority...

flying.monkeyz
16th Dec 2013, 12:06
So is it safe to assume that Qatar cadets get priority too?

dagger19
16th Dec 2013, 12:15
im pretty sure qatar cadets will be staa's top priority when it launches.

wonderland
16th Dec 2013, 20:57
Hi Frying Monkey,

Just imagine you go to NTUC to buy a pint of milk, and you wanted to pay and get out quickly at the express lane because you have 12 items or less, would it still be an express lane if the lane was closed?

And the worst part, you left the engine running in the carpark and there is a lady in grey playing her "gameboy" in the carpark.

flying.monkeyz
17th Dec 2013, 00:02
Hi Wonderland,

Are you saying that the Qatar MPL will not happen at STAA? If so, do you have evidence that it will not happen? Or it's based on your gut feel?

wonderland
17th Dec 2013, 00:31
Hi flying monkey,

Well I checked through my previous comments, I never mentioned on this thread that the course was not going to happen.

To be honest the only people who knows if this course is going to happen is the people at Qatar and staff at the FTO, even the students in that school won't know as it has nothing to do with them. And since all FTOs are driven by profit, the school will definitely WANT it to happen, but the variable factor is now the airline, and Qatar has never had a problem getting pilots, they have some of the most diverse pool of aviators at their disposal. So it can go both ways now.

Only 3 groups of people will have evidence; the people at the FTO; the people at the airline; and the would-be cadets after they signed on the dotted line. I do not fall into any of those categories. I'm just here to be that evil voice in your head that helps to weigh the options without believing everything the flying schools tell you. That's why this is called a rumor network and not an evidence network.

flying.monkeyz
17th Dec 2013, 02:00
Thanks for that. Fingers cross for something good happening soon.

Stallone
18th Dec 2013, 23:09
STAA has started calling up people for the final interview at end of this month

flying.monkeyz
19th Dec 2013, 00:40
You've been called? Congrats!

Stallone
19th Dec 2013, 10:40
You've been called? Congrats!

nope i'm not in the programme

wonderland
20th Dec 2013, 11:00
December 27th, save the date...

flying.monkeyz
27th Dec 2013, 17:24
Anyone had their interviews so far?

Aviatorwing8
28th Dec 2013, 02:46
Perhaps another delay yet again for the final interview?!
Seems like STAA updated a new set of Qatar cadet requirements.

This gonna upset those who are already waiting for the final interview!

COURSES
Qatar Airways MPL Cadet Pilot Programme
-Age 18 - 27
-Education: Minimum of a high school graduation with an average of 85% or its equivalent. (Science stream)
-IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.
-Pass government and QCAA medical examinations.
-Pass the selection process of the College and the Company (Interview/Assessment/Written Exams).
-Agree to be bonded to Qatar Airways following graduation for a period not less than 5 years.
-Successful candidates will spend up to 18 months on training to acquire a Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) at ST Aerospace Academy in Singapore and overseas.

This is a SELF-SPONSORED PROGRAMME and upon successful completion of training, candidate will be offered conditional*employment by Qatar Airways.
If you comply with the above requirements and are interested in a flying career with Qatar Airways, please submit your application to [email protected].
Application deadline is 14 June 2013.

Stallone
28th Dec 2013, 05:30
briefing by staa on 2nd jan

wonderland
28th Dec 2013, 07:22
Briefing postponed to 2nd Jan. But it'll be a STAA only briefing about progress, career path after graduation, etc. Safe to say the final interview by Qatar staff will only happen earliest in Feb-Mar if the candidates are lucky.

flying.monkeyz
29th Dec 2013, 09:18
I certainly hope they can start earlier. Tired of waiting...

wonderland
29th Dec 2013, 11:24
-Education: Minimum of a high school graduation with an average of 85% or its equivalent. (Science stream)

That clause is going to eliminate at least 1/2 the pool already waiting.

Aviatorwing8
30th Dec 2013, 00:41
1)Why the sudden change in requirements?

2)didn't STAA get the requirements from Qatar before even they start enrolling the candidates?

3)what could those fallen out candidate do? seek for compensation from STAA?

wonderland
30th Dec 2013, 10:28
Hi Aviatorwing8,

Let me try best to answer your questions.

what could those fallen out candidate do? seek for compensation from STAA?

Ans: No such thing, in the industry, you could be trained to the level where you can fly in the right hand seat, and then suddenly, they'll give you a reason that is so uncanny, and your conditional employment contract or Letter of Intention is void. If they compensated everyone, I'd be sitting in a dingy airline conference room with a petty cash tin giving out 6 x SGD$50 to every guy who did not have what it takes and failed selection.

wonderland
30th Dec 2013, 10:29
Anyway, it's close to impossible to find kids with 85% averages in their 'O' levels.

pilotchute
30th Dec 2013, 11:20
So it appears that cracks are showing in the "awesome opportunity" that Qatar is giving people with its "Bargain" $160,000 USD cadetship!

Minimum required education changing, dates for interview changing etc etc.

I was surprised yesterday to see an agency advertisement for pilots with the condition of "MPL trained candidates will not be considered"!!! Doesn't that tell you something??

I am trying hard to find the ad and will post it when I do.

wonderland
30th Dec 2013, 12:14
I like people like you pilotchute....

Honestly I doubt Qatar makes a cent when it comes to this, all the money goes to the FTO. And Qatar has always had a very high bar set when it comes to hiring their pilots and crew.

So I would not be surprised with those requirements. But it's good they sat the bar that high, the last few batches of MPL's, some remind me of the burger guy from "come fly with me".

Aviatorwing8
31st Dec 2013, 00:14
Hi wonderland,

Thanks for the explanation.

In this case, its a sudden change in requirements. Not that the candidates didnt meet the requirements when STAA published in the first place.

just saying in general.

pilotchute
31st Dec 2013, 11:28
Don't you people get it?

The requirements will keep changing. All the way through ab initio then line training. They may just decided to "cancel" the course all together.

Qatar aren't on the top of the list of ME airlines people want to work for. They would probably be close to the bottom.

Oh the burger guy is alive and well in more than one outfit I have seen lately.

wonderland
31st Dec 2013, 12:43
Yea, the burger guys are deadly. But oh well, some rich man thinks that chucking his son or daughter into a FTO is a good way to keep him or her away from becoming a meth dealer or the next Paris Hilton, I don't know what to say, I just thank god that airplanes come with two sets of controls, and a emergency axe I can use to knock the f***er unconscious with.

Happy new year guys...:D

Stallone
31st Dec 2013, 14:44
Anyway, it's close to impossible to find kids with 85% averages in their 'O' levels.

GCE O Level certs only have grades, no raw score.

A1 is 75 and above.

Nobody knows the exact score, so ya, this entry requirement is pointless, and yes, impossible to find due to unavailable information rather than people not meeting it.

Maverick16
12th Jan 2014, 03:10
Anyone axed from the program because of the new requirements by Qatar? I'm one of them because of age...

wonderland
12th Jan 2014, 08:45
Did STAA call you or contact you to say you've been dropped?

Maverick16
12th Jan 2014, 19:40
Yes, they did.

wonderland
12th Jan 2014, 21:05
That's very brutal of them.

Maverick16
13th Jan 2014, 01:42
I'll say!! But like I mentioned in my other post, I doubt its STAA's fault. Qatar changes its policy when and as it likes, and the ball is in its court. At least STAA has the decency to refund the interview fees, but nothing can be done about all the annual leave and time wasted. When they agreed to be a training arm for the airline, I doubt they themselves anticipated that the airline would be so problematic either. Guess what the Qatar applicants in Europe mentioned about the airline's recruiment practices is true after all! The only consolation I have now, which would have been the only worry I would have had if I had gotten into the program, is that now I do not have to move to the sand pit and that part of the world!

flying.monkeyz
17th Jan 2014, 11:31
Heard a couple of people has been called up for interview next week. Anyone else also been called up?

wonderland
18th Jan 2014, 12:25
Holiday Inn Atrium Singapore, see you guys there...

flying.monkeyz
22nd Jan 2014, 12:51
Any comments to share for those who attended the Qatar interview today?

h0lym0use
10th Feb 2014, 17:55
Hi Maverick16, just saw this trend and i'm also one of them eliminated due to age. Any plans after this blessing in disguise?

Maverick16
11th Feb 2014, 01:13
What are you calling a blessing in disguise and why?

h0lym0use
11th Feb 2014, 05:40
Well, I've heard lots of bad things about the way they treat the air crew in qatar. http://http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/the-truth-about-the-luxury-of-qatar-airways/

N5748E
12th Feb 2014, 07:21
Tech crews are treated pretty well, it's the cabin crews that have a bad life.

Maverick16
12th Feb 2014, 07:53
Not sure if these articles are accurate and free from any biases, but I've also read a fair bit about the staff welfare too, so these accounts may be credible after all. Don't understand why they hold such a short leash on the crew and treat them like they are still kids. People join the airline to realize their ambitions, which they could not back in their own country -not because they are hard-up to stay in these sand-pits!

Maverick16
19th Feb 2014, 05:23
So eventually how many were selected for the course?

flying.monkeyz
19th Feb 2014, 12:09
Don't have the total number, but 12 starting their course on 3rd March.

Maverick16
20th Feb 2014, 01:53
That's not too bad. A good number.

Maverick16
20th Feb 2014, 02:07
Flying Monkeyz, or anyone who is familiar with this - Any idea when the SQ cadet pilot program would reopen?

flying.monkeyz
20th Feb 2014, 11:23
No firm dates but won't be anytime soon.

flying.monkeyz
9th Mar 2014, 09:46
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1982155_10152364248085757_193205934_n.jpg

Stallone
10th Mar 2014, 03:01
ST Aerospace Academy (STAA) (http://www.staa.com.sg/index.php/courses/multi-crew-pilot-licence-mpl-program/qatar-airways-cadet-training-programme)

Age 18 - 27
Education: Minimum of a high school graduation with an average of 85% or its equivalent. (Science stream)
IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.
Pass government and QCAA medical examinations.
Pass the selection process of the College and the Company (Interview/Assessment/Written Exams).
Agree to be bonded to Qatar Airways following graduation for a period not less than 5 years.
Successful candidates will spend up to 18 months on training to acquire a Multi-crew Pilot Licence (MPL) at ST Aerospace Academy in Singapore and overseas.
This is a SELF-SPONSORED PROGRAMME and upon successful completion of training, candidate will be offered conditional employment by Qatar Airways.

If you comply with the above requirements and are interested in a flying career with Qatar Airways, please submit your application to [email protected].

Application deadline is 1 May 2014.

skylark89
10th Mar 2014, 04:09
any PPRUNER on the course right now? Care to PM me?

flying.monkeyz
10th Mar 2014, 06:45
PM-ed you already.

flying.monkeyz
17th Mar 2014, 22:28
Reliable sources say more than 150 people has registered for the talk this Saturday.

Cheng
26th Mar 2014, 11:41
Anyone gone for their compass and waiting for preliminary interview now?

What were the selection attrition rate for the last batch of intake?

Prusaesl
8th Apr 2014, 01:19
Hi guys, anyone gone for the skills assessment test alr? Is the STAA skills test similar to CAEs?

Stallone
10th Apr 2014, 00:06
yes the computer tests are the same

Prusaesl
13th Apr 2014, 10:36
Hi anyone gone for an staa panel interview? What should I look out for? Pm me please? Thanks!

wonderland
15th Apr 2014, 01:34
Hi anyone gone for an staa panel interview? What should I look out for? Pm me please? Thanks!

Just tell them you have the funds needed for this course, short and sweet, gets the job done. Wham, Bam, Thank you 'mam.

sgcloudchaser
15th Apr 2014, 15:21
i like how commercially it becomes...

jemo
18th Apr 2014, 00:56
anybody received their interview results yet?

Prusaesl
22nd Apr 2014, 02:16
hey anyone who went for interview on 16th and 17th got news?

chris186
23rd Apr 2014, 06:00
I have a friend who passed the first interview, and told her that the panel interview will be somewhere in May

extricate
25th Apr 2014, 13:38
Marketing Exec is overseas on worktrip. Talked to Cheryl instead. Noone has been shortlisted for the final interview yet. She said they will consolidate the results. Will know first week of May.

Prusaesl
28th Apr 2014, 03:11
Emails are out

pilotchute
28th Apr 2014, 10:09
Has anyone actually started training yet?

flying.monkeyz
28th Apr 2014, 11:52
One course has already started training. Exams 1st week of June.

skylark89
28th Apr 2014, 17:36
see you guys on wednesday!! :D

pilotchute
28th Apr 2014, 23:07
Thanks Flying Monkeyz,

It would be interesting to see how many start compared to how many finish and then how many make it to being checked to line at Qatar. I'm guessing more than half will get chopped at some point!

skylark89
29th Apr 2014, 05:57
Aww c'mon Pilotchute. Why the negativity? I'm sure we want the best for everyone!

CodyBlade
4th May 2014, 11:44
No, I think he is being REALISTIC.

Do you know the attrition rate for Ab inito cadets in the industry?

We talking about QR here not Friendly Grandma Airlines Ltd

N5748E
4th May 2014, 13:54
Safe to say half will get chopped, the least at type rating, followed by ATPL theory, flying phase has the highest attrition rate, especially during the first 45 hours of flight training, after that you pretty much only get chopped due to an incident or in most scenarios, "integrity issues".

flying.monkeyz
9th May 2014, 13:13
Those who attended the interview today, care to share what the interviewers asked?

extricate
12th May 2014, 03:55
Unsuccessful.

Anyone has any comments or inside news to share?

Don't know what they were looking for. Interview was quick and no technical ques were asked.

More of a liking contest than sieving out passionate and interested candidates.

Thoughts?

skylark89
12th May 2014, 15:46
but this is a self sponsored course.. The course is paid for in installments.. Im sure they'd want everyone to pass, or at least give them more than a try if they do fail in some papers/tests etc..

TBH i am not sure what they are looking for, but I'm sure your confidence and how you deliver your answers to their questions play a part.

Cheng
13th May 2014, 00:59
Hi Skylark

Did you make it through the final interview?

skylark89
13th May 2014, 14:56
if u wanna find out more what happened to me pm me. :)

flying.monkeyz
13th May 2014, 15:32
You got hammered by the Captain?

skylark89
20th May 2014, 09:40
nope didn't get hammered by anyone.

flying.monkeyz
21st May 2014, 01:15
Anyway Qatar MPL2 starting 09 June. Good luck! :ok:

Prusaesl
21st May 2014, 02:36
Hi skylark and flying.monkeyz u guys starting june 9?

flying.monkeyz
21st May 2014, 06:32
I started much earlier.

skylark89
22nd May 2014, 14:06
My friends are but not me. :( Hopefully my time will come on the MPL3 intake.

flying.monkeyz
30th May 2014, 16:59
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t1.0-9/10416591_785347151483775_1836513107793034872_n.jpg