PDA

View Full Version : Claims management vultures.

None of the above
10th Dec 2013, 17:38
Over a year ago, a dozy lad reversed his car into mine. Net result: knackered door. I had just got back in the car and was preparing to start up and move off when the prang occurred. That was it. Damage only and, despite the best endeavours of my insurers, reasonably straightforward to sort out.

However...

Since then I have been plagued by claims management companies who assure me that sums ranging from 2.5k to 5k are waiting to be claimed for the discomfort I have suffered. One small flaw; I did not suffer any discomfort or any other loss. There are absolutely no grounds whatsoever to make a claim which I have pointed out to them on more than one occasion.

The firms identify themselves with names that seem curioisly similar but tend not to have a website. One exception was a call today from a firm which operates from West London although the accent on the other end of the phone was definitely NW England. Most of the calls seem to originate there. At least one firm spoofs phone numbers and my mobile has shown calls from, supposedly, rural Oxfordshire and North Yorkshire.

I'm becoming fairly adept at spotting them on the landline (no caller display) and putting the phone down before they get into full flow. Unfortunately, I got caught this afternoon but managed to terminate the call after a few minutes. I received one call, a while back, and got the hard sell treatment. On that occasion I told the chap that he was inciting me to commit fraud and I would not be party to criminal conspiracy.

I'm not a confrontational chap, despite the previous sentence, and now just bring matters to a close by saying that I wouldn't be claiming and wish them good day.

Which brings me, at last, to ask, is there anyway I can stop these 'illegitimates' calling me? I'm becoming rather weary of the whole thing. I don't believe it!* I've just this very second had another of the pests on the phone whilst proof reading this post. Do you think they are watching?

Yours in desperation.

N o t a

* V Meldrew.

Big Hammer
10th Dec 2013, 17:58
We get many of these calls. They cannot even get the details right of the driver etc. I do not normally answer calls from unknown or witheld numbers. If I make a mistake and answer they are usually cut off promptly, had one earlier asking for SWMBO and they asked when it would be convenient to call back. I replied "any time in 2045" and hung up. Remember it is your phone and your privacy they are invading uninvited. Eventually they will go away.

Romeo Oscar Golf
10th Dec 2013, 18:20
I get the same, but they ask for my wife (she is the Motability car "owner") and because she is seriously ill and unable to walk, I do not let these numpties near her.
They refer to an accident nearly 2yrs ago in a car she does not have. There was no accident. Initially I would explain all the above to these pests, but they tried the hard sell on me. So now I have a range of responses.
1. Lift the phone but say nothing.
2. Lift the phone and put it next to the radio.
3. Play dimwit (easy one for me) and give rubbish answers to everything they say.
4. Encourage them but give constantly contradicting answers (another easy one for me)
5. Tell them that you will give no information at all but are happy to chat about anything else. It amazes me that these muppets still dont get it and I kept one going for 30 + mins (I'm my wifes full time carer so have plenty of time on my hands)
6. Just put the phone down immediately you realise who it is.

However do not say anything which is associated with you, family, employment, or indeed RTA's.
There are some interesting stories - just google.
Also a great u-tube vid of a UK Indian giving a Mumbai based nuisance caller the run around.

None of the above
10th Dec 2013, 18:33
Thanks, Gents.

Incidentally, there's a thread on another site about how to deal with more general nuisance calls and I'm inclined to try this one:

".......you have reached a restricted telephone number - however, your missile launch codes have been verified."

It has a certain something going for it.;)

ETA: Romeo Oscar Golf - I tend to adopt No 6 in your estimable list if at all possible. If there is a couple of seconds silence at the beginning of the call, or background call centre noise, down goes the phone. The sods still call back, though. Grrr!

Romeo Oscar Golf
10th Dec 2013, 19:04
is there anyway I can stop these 'illegitimates' calling me

I forgot to answer the question:ugh:
I am registered with TPS......waste of time. I've called any number of companies who claim to have a data base of accident claims, but get no info from them. I've called the Insurance Company (who are the ones who "share" your claim information with various other organisations) but they deny passing this information to CMC's.
In short I've been unable to find out how or where they get their info and have been unable to stop the calls, although they have slowed down.

The last call I received was from a very nice sounding female. On this occasion I played straight and told her why I didn't want their sevices, what I thought of their sevices, and please do not call again or I may not be so polite. She broke down in tears and said that it hadn't been polite and rang off!! Result!!

racedo
10th Dec 2013, 19:51
Give nobody your home number, keep it unlisted.

cattletruck
11th Dec 2013, 04:23
Tell them to call you back on your new phone number as the old number is being phased out and incurring expensive charges for both you and them, and make sure they update their screen with the new number. Then give them the direct number to your local constabulary.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Dec 2013, 06:30
Get rid of your landline. Mobile only - it's worth it to avoid all the nuisance calls.

radeng
11th Dec 2013, 08:44
That's all right, Fox, until the cell network goes down. I know it doesn't happen often - bad weather or terrorism are the usual causes, but if you need an emergency service then, you're completely up sh*t creek without a landline!

Groundgripper
11th Dec 2013, 08:46
I've just bought one of those call blocker boxes for my land line and it works a treat! No more calls from overseas and I can add any number to the system either during or after the call. My calls have dropped from five or six a day down to the people from whom I actually want to hear.

For the last few weeks I've been getting a call on my mobile at more or less exactly the same time every Sunday. I never get to the phone in time to answer it and it shows as "number unknown".

As far as the location of the caller is concerned did you know that you can buy a London number to use despite the fact that you actually call from anywhere in the UK? Apparently sufficient people are impressed by the London number coming up on caller display that they feel an increased need to answer it.

Some people...not me!:E

GG

mixture
11th Dec 2013, 08:52
Mobile only - it's worth it to avoid all the nuisance calls.

I've received nuisance calls, and more to the point many nuisance texts (PPI) on the mobile.

And as radeng pointed out, its a very good idea to have a traditional landline in the house and not rely entirely on modern things like mobiles, VoIP or Skype. Same goes for DECT cordless phones, you should really have one corded phone.

Or if you only want modern technology, then at least invest in a UPS to give you a chance (and don't forget to plug your broadband router into it as well as your phones !).

dead_pan
11th Dec 2013, 08:58
Get rid of your landline. Mobile only - it's worth it to avoid all the nuisance calls.

Did this 2 years ago for this exact reason (averaging 3+ calls from these parasites every day) and have never looked back. Part of the reason the number BT allocated when we moved to our previous home had been used by someone else. It was vaguely amusing to inform the caller that this individual had tragically died when they asked for him by name - that sure as hell wasn't on their script!

That's all right, Fox, until the cell network goes down. I know it doesn't happen often - bad weather or terrorism are the usual causes, but if you need an emergency service then, you're completely up sh*t creek without a landline!

Pants. We've never ever had a problem. We have Skype via our cable broadband as a sort of back-up, but have never needed it. In the event of an emergency and no comms we also possess something called "neighbours" :ok:

dead_pan
11th Dec 2013, 09:02
... I forgot to mention the indescribable joy of telling BT that you no longer wanted their services. Mind you, they even cocked that order up - our landline just refused to die, which was deeply ironic since it took them a good two months to get it up and running when we moved in.

Ancient Observer
11th Dec 2013, 09:10
A Scouser scamming "Insurance claims" outfit is using an "Essex" phone number.
When I asked her what it was like to work for a scamming company, she denied it was a scam.
They started off describing themselves as "Swiftcover" - a UK brand of insurance.
I was tempted to go along with silly answers, but became bored too easily.

ExXB
11th Dec 2013, 09:19
Hello? Yes this is Mr. Bowlie.
I'm fine, how are you.
I'm so glad you called. I've been really lonely lately. It seems that nobody has the time to talk any more.
No, I don't want to talk about that. Do you have any kids?
Oh, and how's your mum? I don't think children today talk to their mums enough. When was the last time you talked to your mum
You know, I'm really depressed these days. Can you believe the bank has cancelled my credit cards. I'm only a little bit overdrawn
Hello, hello

dead_pan
11th Dec 2013, 09:45
I always find asking them about their career prospects and sales targets usually puts 'em in a good mood. Oh, and asking them if they always dreamt of working in a call centre...

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 10:17
They started off describing themselves as "Swiftcover" - a UK brand of insurance.

Swiftcover are an insurance brand and must admit when someone shunted me couple of years ago they were on the ball the whole way through. Renewed for an extra year with them because of the professional way they had handled it.

Year after moved for price :E

superq7
11th Dec 2013, 10:38
I'd love to get shot of my landline, but isn't it needed for Sky Tv and that wi fi box ?

Sallyann1234
11th Dec 2013, 10:42
I have very good reason to believe that some of these claims chasers get personal contact details from car accident repair companies.

None of the above
11th Dec 2013, 10:56
I've just been looking at 'Which?' for April 2013. There's a substantial article entitled 'Who's selling your personal details?'

I summarise the relevant para:

Who's passing on your data?

(i) You've permitted your insurer to send marketing material. If the claims management company is in the same group then details can be passed.

(ii) If, when buying a policy or making a claim you ticked, or failed to tick, a box giving your permission.

(iii) Your details have been passed on without your permission and, potentially, for a fee. Personal info can be passed on at any point in the claims process. Could be the insurers, recovery firms or repair shop.

'Which?' ended point (iii) with this observation:

"We investigated where this might be happening, but found it was nearly impossible to trace how CMCs get your details. If we can't get to the bottom of what's going on, what chance do individuals have?"

Yesterday's score was two calls on the mobile which weren't answered and two on the landline. So far today I have been left in peace. There's still plenty of time and I've no doubt that one or more will try their luck before the day is done.

N o t a

ETA I received one call purportedly from my insurer. The 'illegitimate' on the other end was lying.

Anyway, if you have been, thanks for reading.

Second edit: I spoke too soon. Just had a call from an unrecognised number on my mobile. Didn't answer it.

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 13:01
I'd love to get shot of my landline, but isn't it needed for Sky Tv and that wi fi box ?

Had Sky for 10 years and phone plugged in day engineer installed and never since.

Tony Flynn
11th Dec 2013, 13:17
I sing to them.
Usually something from 'West Side Story', half a verse of 'salmon 'chanted 'evenin' and they're gone.

MagnusP
11th Dec 2013, 13:21
Radio tuned to Planet Rock works for me.

llondel
11th Dec 2013, 14:56
I look at the caller ID and if I don't recognise it, I let the answering machine take the call.

I think I've had one call on the landline phone in the past couple of months that was for me (and I was out...) and it's amazing how many other calls have gone unanswered given that I've only given the number to a very small number of people. I need to set up my VoIP system, then I can get it to answer recognised scam numbers and play them a polite (or not so polite) "get lost" message.

Curious Pax
11th Dec 2013, 15:09
Had Sky for 10 years and phone plugged in day engineer installed and never since.

We have had Multiroom (=2 boxes, one for downstairs TV, one for bedroom TV) for over 5 years. We were in the middle of getting some built in wardrobes fitted when they did the upstairs one, so ran a cable across the floor to the bedroom socket while it was all activated, then removed it, intending to drill a couple of holes once the cupboards were done so the cable was hidden. As usual I didn't get round to doing that, so after about 3 years they started chasing us to plug it in otherwise they would start charging us for 2 separate systems. Faced with an extra 50/month or whatever it was I soon got the toolbox out, and no more was said. From what was said in the letter I think they use the phone line thing to ensure that both multiroom boxes are hooked up to the same phone (and therefore at the same address). If they didn't monitor that no doubt people would get 2 boxes on multiroom, and have them at separate addresses, saving a load of money!

Llademos
11th Dec 2013, 15:50
I was getting twice weekly calls from a debt collection firm - wrong number, but their automated system wouldn't let up. I found out who they were by googling the number, then emailed them with a list of charges for each subsequent call (5) and email/letter (15). Got a real person respond rather than auto reply, no problems since.

Ll

flash8
11th Dec 2013, 17:39
When a friend gets an unsolicited call (thankfully I don't have a UK mobile and my Russian roaming Mobile NEVER gets any crap except a few unsolicited SMS advertising Moscow Taxis) it goes something like the following:

Caller: Hello, is that Mr Browne?
Friend: Indeed it is my son, please have you heard the wondrous news?
Caller: Ermmm, No?
Friend: My friend our saviour Jesus is alive! He will save your soul....etc etc.. he really gets into it.

Usually they disconnect... I wouldn't have the balls to do it however... highly amusing to hear him do it though.

None of the above
11th Dec 2013, 17:56
Returning to the Claims Management Pestilence, I've had another two calls on my mobile today which I did not answer as I strongly suspected they were from one outfit or another. FWIW, the pattern of my mobile usage is such that is highly unlikely to be anyone other than these scammers.

When I first started receiving these calls, where a phone number was left, I always Googled it and a wealth of information was unearthed, none of it complimentary. The last three calls had codes which indicated a wide geographic spread but interestingly the main number has always ended in the same three digits. It seems that the spoofing operation comes up with a different number every time.
For the sake of information, the calls supposedly originated in Liverpool, Thornhill (Dumfies & Galloway) and Marlborough (Wilts)

I suppose that they will stop one day, but until then they will remain a right royal pain in the fundament.

N o t a

radeng
11th Dec 2013, 21:15
Ring, ring.

'Hello, good evening (morning, afternoon as the case maybe) radeng castle'

'May I speak to mr. radeng?'

'Which Mr radeng did you wish to speak with?'

'Mr. P. radeng'.

'Would that be Mr. Paul, Mr. Peter or Mr. Philip radeng?'

'Mr Peter - who am I speaking to?'

'I am the butler at radeng castle. I regret Mr Peter is not available. He is currently occupied in interviewing young women for work in Germany as prostitutes in organised brothels. Are you calling about such an employment for [yourself if caller is female - for your sister or wife or girlfriend if caller is male?] Employment opportunities for Spanish speaking good looking young women with the necessary attributes are also available in South America.'

At this stage, they give up.......

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 21:57
I was getting twice weekly calls from a debt collection firm - wrong number, but their automated system wouldn't let up. I found out who they were by googling the number, then emailed them with a list of charges for each subsequent call (5) and email/letter (15). Got a real person respond rather than auto reply, no problems since.

:* Had that with HSBC on a previous house and debt collectors wanted me to send my bill in plus ID to prove I wasn't person they wanted. They using 3 differnt numbers and told them they woke the baby in calling, kids toys can be useful.

Letter direct to office of Chief Exec with numbers they using and number of calls made over weekend got a very quick response...........Staff of chief execs tend to make things happen to prevent it getting to boss.

They acted quickly and sorted it out well apart from another number they started using...........single call to very polite lady and she just said its sorted. Funny part was she came across as someone who I wouldn't have wanted to deal with as figured she would get things done with bodies everywhere. Never had another call :)

Waterfordman
11th Dec 2013, 22:26
I've had a persistent company with 0161+ call me almost nightly for weeks, thing is now I know to expect the call I just do what has been suggested before pick up the receiver and then leave them rattle on whilst I'm no where near the phone.

I opted for this after realising one day that even when I did hang up they had kept the line open, some think they are clever but I have 2 landlines and 2 mobiles here so have plenty of options whilst they waste their time.

I also check the numbers online when not with held and its amazing just how many threads there are about these numbers to start with.

racedo
11th Dec 2013, 22:43
I opted for this after realising one day that even when I did hang up they had kept the line open, some think they are clever but I have 2 landlines and 2 mobiles here so have plenty of options whilst they waste their time.

Is it possible to set up auto divert for that one number so it redials them ?

Waterfordman
11th Dec 2013, 22:56
Oh there's a good idea :ok: hadn't thought of that one.