PDA

View Full Version : Aptitude Tests?

Dizzy
27th Feb 2001, 03:58
Anyone done GAPAN aptitude tests (or any others) prior to starting training?
I was all set to go for it when a good friend of mine mentioned this. I had not considered it before. It costs about £150 to get them done and I suppose that versus £50k for training is a small price to pay, but it is also money I could spend on training.
I have already done a search on this subject, but found nothing specific.
What's the general opinion out there?
Should I bother or not?

TimC
27th Feb 2001, 04:15
Most people I've spoken to have said that they think aptitude tests bear little relevance to piloting. I have done the full set at Cranwell recently (you do some of them for the GAPAN thingy) and I thought they were fairly easy, but as I only have 1hr TT, I dunno about whether they are worth doing. The RAF make a good case for them.

I have a friend who's just about to start flying training on a good sponsorship and she said she only got average scores on the aptitude tests. So even if you're not great at the tests, you could well make an excellent pilot anyway :).

Good luck.

RichT
27th Feb 2001, 12:49
There are several books on the subject. How to win at aptitude tests is quite a good one.

Release
27th Feb 2001, 15:49
The RAF rely very heavily on the aptitude tests. Everyone who attends OASC has to do them. A lot of people who had applied for pilot failed to get a high enough score, and were dropped as pilots at that point. They could try for NAV etc, if they wished. There are some online aptitude tests at www.raf-careers.com. (http://www.raf-careers.com.)

STORMER
27th Feb 2001, 18:41
I did the GAPAN tests around 18 months ago and found then very usefull indead. As they are not run for profit the advice and debrief you get afterwards becomes invaluable. Even if it gives you a confidence boost before you start then the 150 pounds can be easily forgotten. Or in the nightmare senario of discovering that you just do not have the skills then you have just saved 50,000 pounds and alot of hard work. If you do not give it a go then you will probably be asking yourself should you have or not. It gave me the confidence to carry on and it also made other people there with me think again. My advice is that either way its a postive step.