PDA

View Full Version : Disqus

SpringHeeledJack
10th Dec 2013, 11:43
I overheard a conversation yesterday where one person was saying that as Disqus was the default comments add-on/software on the majority of newspaper websites worldwide, as well as thousands of websites it was the perfect device for monitoring 'dissent' (anything that goes against large vested interests) and the upvotes and downvotes feature logged the IP address of the user. It sounded a bit tinfoil hatty, but I was curious what the well-informed here had to say :8

SHJ

mixture
10th Dec 2013, 11:49
To be honest, "they" are more likely to be using T..Wi..Tt..eR Firehose and equivalents for Facebook etc.

Don't know much about Disqus, I suspect its probably one of those trend following things,and perhaps it has decent website integration. When someone brings out a better alternative, the meeja will probably shift to that. Also, I suspect some major outlets such as the BBC, CNN etc don't use Disqus.

vulcanised
10th Dec 2013, 14:13
I thought Disqus was just a monitoring/moderating service for the likes of the DT?

SpringHeeledJack
10th Dec 2013, 15:06
Ha ha, so did I until I started to enjoy the comments sections more than the articles on many websites wot I visited ;) The new improvements make the readers experience MUCH easier than before.

SHJ

Booglebox
14th Dec 2013, 16:58
SHJ: if you want to add a peak and brim to that tinfoil hat, consider the somewhat-apocryphal story of the creation of Facebook: the CIA wanted a database of everybody, who their friends are, what they get up to, what they like etc. and those of us who use it have voluntarily built it for them..... :uhoh: *X-files music* :8