PDA

View Full Version : eeeeeeeee bay. I'm not very good at this.

Loose rivets
10th Dec 2013, 04:25
I hope my watch comes out okay, but prior to that I bid on a monitor.

I'd been so pleased with my 19" LG that I took it to the UK and left it there. I wanted to replace it here in Texas. I bid 34 US and won. Fine . . . but I'd assumed the 54 bucks I'd seen was shipping and the cost of the item. Nope, I was wrong. My bad (whatever that means) but I'm stuffed for 88 bucks - the price of a NEW HP with free shipping. Oh, and with the right of returns, which mine doesn't have.

It was just a case of not reading the blurb properly. I was comparing a lot of technical details and missed the [email protected]@dy obvious. My only other experience of selling on this huge site was in 2011 and in the UK. That started badly, the seller saying I'd have to pay shipping. Two other experienced sellers said I was right in thinking Buyer Collects means I sit back and wait for them to get it. But no, it meant they pick it up from their local Post Office. :ugh: eeeee buy said I was confused. They were right, and still am.

Is it just me or are others of the opinion one needs a resident lawyer to defend one from these pitfalls? I've never been good at gleaning information from the written word - much easier to pull stuff apart to see how it works and leave forms for the intelligentsia.

david1300
10th Dec 2013, 07:33
Sorry for the bad news, but yes, it's pretty well much you:p. Mostly the descriptions, terms and conditions are easy to understand. I have just received my laser projector for Christmas decoration of the house (1 item to locate and plug in only) and tomorrow my new headlight globes will arrive at $25 less than the local spares shop (that's a 33% saving) and I won't even spend the petrol $ going to collect :ok:

John Hill
10th Dec 2013, 08:00
There seems to be multiple meaning for 'buyer collects'.

The obvious one is that the buyer goes to the vendor's premises and collects, the other is where the buyer goes to his local courier depot and collects.

maliyahsdad2
10th Dec 2013, 08:15
Just don't pay and get a strike and possible bad feedback. not the end of the world as long as you don't do it often.
Don't you have distance selling rights in USA. Most ebay purchases in UK can be cancelled in 7 days regardless.

In UK buyer collects pretty much means you are not shipping and they need to collect the item from your premises.

mixture
10th Dec 2013, 08:34
How to select No Postage Local Pickup Only on a Listing | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/How-to-select-No-Postage-Local-Pickup-Only-on-a-Listing-/10000000004886601/g.html)

(Note, the above looks like an unofficial set of instructions, so you may be better off hunting around for the official set, just incase...)

Lon More
10th Dec 2013, 08:47
A lot of sellers, particularly Murricans, see idiotic postal charges as a way of getting more money. Having once been stung (and I still ended up paying extra postage as they didn't stick enough on) I now check with the vendor before bidding and if they try it on later refuse to pay and enter -ve feedback

Tankertrashnav
10th Dec 2013, 09:57
As a regular seller on ebay I dont see the problem. There is a box where the postage charges are listed (home, overseas, insured, etc) and if the seller comes up with an invoice which attempts to charge more than stated then it's quite simple - dont pay. You wont get a strike against you as you have a valid reason for not completing.

I've never heard of this "buyer collects" problem - I've always assumed it means just that - you collect the enormous sofa youve just bought from the sellers house and stick it on the back of your pickup rather than have them attempt to ship it. Any idea that it means buyer collects from a depot seems bizarre and I'm sure not what is implied.

mixture
10th Dec 2013, 10:58
Any idea that it means buyer collects from a depot seems bizarre and I'm sure not what is implied.

Agreed... I suspect it is a case of people trying to bend the rules. The words "buyer collects" are pretty clear to me too !

vulcanised
10th Dec 2013, 11:35
M&S are very deceitful (imo) with their 'free delivery' - it's free delivered to their store!

emergency000
10th Dec 2013, 12:04
If in doubt, message the seller and ask them. That's what I do. If they don't reply, I don't buy. So it's in their best interests to reply and promptly!
It also means you have their written word to hold them to when the time comes for virtual money to exchange virtual hands and they want to suddenly throw some extra "P&H charge" in on top and threaten you with bad feedback if you don't pay up.

cockney steve
10th Dec 2013, 12:25
M&S are very deceitful (imo) with their 'free delivery' - it's free delivered to their store!
Sounds like one to report to Advertising Standards Authority and/or local Trading Standards Office.
Unless, of course, the advert is explicit that "delivery" constitutes shipment to your nearest M&s store.
Just bought a replacement car-remote case for 3 95 postage free.
no word about packaging! in fact it's been acknowledged and despatched .
Because of the fee-structure, there was a period when items were "buy it now" 1.50 Postage and Packing (shipping and handling, across the pond! )16.95..... the latter charge was not subject to charges and commission....AFAIK they've stopped that little scam.

Anyone in UK, will, I'm sure, assume "delivery"= carriage paid to the buyer's nominated delivery address (Highlands, islands, and Northern Ireland excepted)
Collection......Buyer collects from stated location of item.
a recent UK e-bay ad for an aircraft had an explicit note that , although the advertiser was in the North of england, the item was in Cornwall (the deep south! ) It's not hard! the biggest problem, nowadays, is the fuel and time costs of collecting an item that's distant. A return journey can significantly erode any saving you may make on "hammer price" often better to wait for a similar item that's nearer.

G-CPTN
10th Dec 2013, 12:54
Sometimes what seems like a 'good' price for an eBay item is outweighed by the (extortionate) cost of delivery, so it pays to be aware and check - once bitten, twice shy . . .

A A Gruntpuddock
10th Dec 2013, 13:37
Re postal charges, many sellers put in high p&p costs as a sort of 'unofficial reserve' so that they still make something even if the item only gets a low bid.

Many others do it because ebay charges are based on the bid price and not the total cost.

Since these charges are usually clearly stated, why complain?

I always search for 'price including p&p' after nearly getting caught out.

maliyahsdad2
10th Dec 2013, 13:57
Many others do it because ebay charges are based on the bid price and not the total cost.

Not any more, ebay take 10% of postage charges now, which means that loading postal charges is not viable, to get better seller discounts ebay also encourage free p+p (no such thing of course it has to be paid for somewhere).

Loose rivets
10th Dec 2013, 15:02
Again on this forum, I'm learning a lot.

Good news is the seller sounds genuine, and in a PM to me they question the Post and packing as we call it in the UK. Why they don't glance at it I don't know - maybe a mass of sales. Anyway, handling, it seems, covers a lot of leeway.

They got eeeeeee b to calculate the shipping - but based on what I don't know. To learn from the above eb take a cut of the shipping!!!! Oh, my. Aren't they rich enough already? :ugh:

I happened across the interchange with e-bay about this Buyer Collects thing in 2011. I'll see if I can find it again, but I'll also look at mixture's link above when I've had me porridge and done some brake bleeding and some chain sawing. When is this retirement thing going to happen?

This is just history now, but shows the gist if you're terminally bored:

James
Welcome to eBay Live Help, my name is James. How may I be of assistance?
ME
bla bla I have been insisting for agaes 10 messages. that it is BUYER COLLECTS. I have had 3 experienced e-bay users look at the ad. They all agree it is buyer collects.

James
I realise your concern on this, Rivets I will just need a moment while I check this for you.
Me
I want to do everything right as . . .

Thnks for patiently waiting, Rivets

Me
Still with you
James
I've thoroughly checked the listing and found that you've set 'Collect in person' as postage option. Please let me clarify this option for you.

The 'Collect in person' option means that you'll be sending the item to the post office and the buyer would then collect the item in person from the post office. For this reason, there is an option to set a postage cost on your listing form.

Me
This can't be sent by post. I'm totally at a loss. Even my text makes mention of it in the ad (she even talked of having her works van pick it up - Funny girl.)

James
It appears that you've mistakenly used the Quick Sell listing form. If you'd like the item to be collected from your location, you'll have to use the Advanced Sell listing form. Then you can select the option 'No postage: local pick-up only'. THis means that the buyer should collect the item from your location.

Me

I suppose somewhere it spells out the rules, but I just can't see how I could expect 'collect in person' to mean something with a mass of conditions preceding it

I guess I'll have to chalk this up to learning to use e-bay,

James

In this situation, you may then explain this thoroughly with your buyer. You can then send them a refund and open a cancellation case to get your Final value Fee credit.

James
You can open a case to cancel the transaction after you've sent them the refund.
James Vaughan
Here's how to cancel a transaction:

Full details followed, but I didn't want to renege on a deal.

James
To avoid encountering the same issue, you may want to list items using the Advanced sell listing form and use the 'No postage: local pick-up' option.

Me
That sounds very important - thanks for everything. Must dash

But the thing is, that sounds like buyer can only pick up. Why can't they just pay the [email protected]#$^%@$# carriage bill? All too silly.

Tankertrashnav
10th Dec 2013, 16:18
My son got caught out by buyer collects once, but it was partly his fault.

He was looking to buy a classic car as a hobby project. He saw this nice old Merc coupe which was listed as 110 miles from his (ie my) home address. He got it, then found out it was in some dump just North of Swansea - we live in West Cornwall (yes, the deep South, cockney steve!) , about 250 miles away by road. Of course if you discount the small matter of the Bristol Channel it really was only 110 miles away! Moral of the story - check the location if you are going to collect!

con-pilot
10th Dec 2013, 16:57
A freind of mine owns a Pawn shop. He has a lot of customers send items they have bought on e-Bay to his store, 'in care of' for the purchaser. That way one can inspect what they have bought and if unsatisfactory, it can be returned and the money returned to the unsatisfied purchaser.

The money is held in escrow and not released until the customer accepts the purchase. I'm not too sure just how this works, but my freind can show or tell anyone that wants to do this, how to do this on e-Bay.

We've (my wife) has never had any problems buying thihgs on e-Bay, but if she ever has a seller that she thinks is questionable, she'll use our friend's Pawn shop.

About 90% of the time he tells me everything is on the up and up, but there is always that 10% that want to rip people off.

mixture
10th Dec 2013, 17:16
The 'Collect in person' option means that you'll be sending the item to the post office and the buyer would then collect the item in person from the post office. For this reason, there is an option to set a postage cost on your listing form.

Honesty, I would put that definition of 'collect in person' as a serious abuse of the English language ! The three words can't be any simpler !

If eBay want to provide such an option, then they should rename it 'collect from local depot/post office' or something along those lines.....

I can't imagine you're the first or last person to be caught up by that.

Loose rivets
10th Dec 2013, 19:01
I'm sure not, and by then I had the strange lady's address. I looked at the house and decided I really should let go of my principles, and let her have it . . . in the nicest possible way.

I thought it's odd she's got a king sized waterbed in there. Wonder if the floor will hold up. Seems she'd punctured the one that came with it and mine would have been a vast improvement. Also it included high grade heaters - everything new. Well, unused.

Anyway, a happy result on my monitor issues. She (I think) has shown surprise at the e-calculated transport cost and has offered it to be reduced to '20 - 25' I of course offered the 25. Does my generosity know no bounds?:} Now I'll wait with baited breath to see what it's like. Oh, and give the seller a gold star. (unless eeeeee buy has decided to charge for those.)

SawMan
11th Dec 2013, 02:45
Oh, and give the seller a gold star. (unless eeeeee buy has decided to charge for those.)

Why did you go and say that? Let's not give them ideas, there's fees connected to everything else they do already :ugh: These folks would spray paint the Mona Lisa and call it an improvement if they thought they could make another dollar doing it, which is why a lot of US sellers and buyers have switched to Amazon :cool: Still not perfect but a lot better than the E thing :ok:

Loose rivets
11th Dec 2013, 04:28
Yes, my guard is up. Still good if you know the tricks, but there seems to be a tripwire at every turn.

Poor lady. She offered to relist and make it free shipping with our agreed total as the price. I pressed the Pay button.

She then found out it really would cost $50 to mail it. I've agreed for her to issue a refund.

I guess the big names know a thing or two, because they offer quite a few good deals with free shipping.

I'm really here to sell up, not collect more toys. Craig(one word)list has been wonderful for me. Bloke in Sweden saw my Cadillac, and I've sold 3 cars - including that #$%%$# Mercedes, all for nowt. We've listed our home on there and they host wonderful pictures. Yesterday some men turned up for more Mesquite listed under 'free stuff'. They took a log four men had difficulty moving. Did me a real favor. Sometimes, I press the enter key and the front doorbell rings. Not really, but it is often blindingly quick. Don't know why it hasn't taken off in the UK.

So far, I've paid nowt.

Tankertrashnav
11th Dec 2013, 09:07

That used to be the case, but ebay now charge a percentage on postage charges at the same rate as for the final bid price. In the 13 years I have used ebay the charges have steadily increased from what was initially a trivial amount to what is now a sum to be reckoned with when calculating reserves. Add in Paypal charges (how 90% of buyers pay, and you are obliged to offer it as an option) and I am now paying 15% commission, more than double than at the outset.

I'm a business seller, and things may be slightly better for private sellers, but I dont think it is that much.

vulcanised
11th Dec 2013, 11:50
Don't know why it hasn't taken off in the UK.

Gumtree is popular, as is eBid.

maliyahsdad2
11th Dec 2013, 12:05
Gumtree is popular, as is eBid.

Gumtree is owned by eBay, ebid not exactly popular.

Not scientific I know but I sell as a business seller on eBay, one item I sell about 40 of a week with many hundreds of views, tried ebid because of the rising ebay charges, got 20 views and no sales over a week!

eBay charges have risen 50% for me from 4.5% to 6.6% but would be a lot higher if not for my top rated seller status, which is almost impossible to keep hold of it seems!

In summary, eBay and their charges suck, especially as they now take 10% of what I need to charge for posting/packing/ink/paper/sellotape/petrol to deliver items to post office, but because they are such a huge shop window you can't ignore them.