PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of sleeping on a flight

ricardian
9th Dec 2013, 15:18
An American air passenger has revealed how he found himself locked in a passenger plane after dozing off on a flight to Houston. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/10505287/Passenger-locked-on-plane-after-falling-asleep.html)

BOAC
9th Dec 2013, 16:04
Not good for crews either........................

edi_local
9th Dec 2013, 17:24
Unbelievable that the crew wouldn't do one last check of the cabin before they all got off, or that a cleaning team wouldn't come on the plane.

If this had been on a turnaround and he hadn't been noticed then that would have been even worse!

G&T ice n slice
9th Dec 2013, 19:32
I never sleep when a passenger, someone has to stay awake & keep praying.....

PAXboy
9th Dec 2013, 20:29
From the linked article ...The airline put Mr Wagner up in a hotel room for the night, gave him a free washbag containing toothpaste and a toothbrush, and a $250 voucher so he could reach his final destination.And so they should!!

I recall reading a similar story a long time ago but mobile phones have solved the problem.

mixture
9th Dec 2013, 21:34
Dangers of sleeping on a flight

Time for an impromptu pub quiz.....

I can name one, genuine potential danger. But its not that. Any guesses ? :E

1DC
9th Dec 2013, 22:21
Mrs 1DC never sleeps on a plane, as she says: " You never know when the Pilot is going to come on and say we are going to crash or something!":hmm::hmm:

baggersup
11th Dec 2013, 00:27
As crazy as this sounds, something similar happened to me many years ago (before all the enhanced security procedures.)

While I usually can never sleep on a plane, got on a plane in Denver many years ago after a conference I was helping to coordinate--those of us in charge had pretty much been working 20 hours a day for a few days with virtually no sleep.

Got on in Denver headed for Washington, but the flight number itself terminated in Boston.

I fell sound asleep due to one glass of wine combined with exhaustion. And woke up in....Boston. Oops.

It was one of those flights where it stops, but you don't have to get off if you going on to the next destination, but can stay on the plane during the stop. Guess they saw me sleeping and just left me there! And were not alerted because nobody getting on in DC had my seat assignment.

Don't think that could ever happen today. But dunno.

But it was a nice weekend visit to Boston! :D