PDA

View Full Version : iPad cabin crew tools (geeky passenger interest!)

ormy
9th Dec 2013, 13:16
Hi there

I hope you don't mind me posting here. I'm a long term PPRUNE lurker, frequent flyer (albeit at the back), and work in IT as a product manager of mobile products.

I flew BA recently for the first time and had a minor service issue because of a change of metal. Obviously not the crew's fault (nor is it their fault that I'm 6'7" with long cabin-crew-tripping legs!). It meant I got a bit of a glimpse at the iPad app... the crew member obviously knew who I was (annotated with my BMI-diamond-club-refugee status... it won't last) and what the passenger to seat distribution was. More impressively for me, she arrived at my seat in-flight having already written out a customer service ticket, just to ask for my details.

My interest is simply geeky and professional - I'm a product manager in a completely different industry and it's my job to understand what innovations would really help people.

So for those who get to use these apps, are they really good? In this case, it seems a lot nicer than a dot-matrix printout, but my opinion is irrelvant! Any real enthusiasts for these things out there, or conversely are they a solution looking for a problem?

Thanks
Jon (Reading, UK)

Tray Surfer
9th Dec 2013, 19:40
The iPads are issued to the CSD or Senior Cabin Crew, but are for all of us to use.

I frequently ask the CSD for their iPad so I can use it when re-seating passengers or sorting out problems. There is a whole list of things that can be done on the iPad, from enrolling people in the Executive Club, to filling out Customer Relations forms and service recovery.

The App which is used as an electronic version of the Passenger Information List (which, for now, we still get a paper copy of from the dispatcher) is very good and is very useful for lots of different things. Is especially helpful in Club when looking for status passengers or using the seat map part of the App to identify vacant seats etc.

The other good thing is that, as soon as the flight is closed and finalised, the iPad can be re-freshed and you have current and up to date information instead of waiting for print outs from the dispatcher etc...

All in all, in my opinion, a very good tool for us. All be it, I have a feeling that we will be migrating to a different tablet. Something to do with Apple and their unwillingness to move on the price point of the iPads.

TS
:)

tezzer
10th Dec 2013, 11:33
I was on a KLM flight from Amsterdam to Bucharest recently, and went forwards to the restroom.

The Purser was there, and I asked him if he had a timetable.

He looked confused (they used to keep a stock of paper ones), and looked at his ipad thingy.

I'm sure it'll be on here, said he but Bucharest, OTP or any other reference to our destination 90 minutes away was missing.

"Sorry " says, he, it does not exist.

Classic.

Tray Surfer
10th Dec 2013, 13:02
We carry the full BA and OneWorld timetable on our iPads.

ormy
12th Dec 2013, 02:06
(I've never been the biggest fan of flying on KLM but if they've introduced timetables for their restrooms that's the final straw :O) (sorry!)

Thanks - the app did look really good, which is what got my professional interest up.

hptaccv
13th Dec 2013, 11:20
I'm a big fan of technology where it's use brings real benefits. Still a bit sceptical about tablet-in-the-cabin usefullness.

I remember asking a concierge in a north american hotel for a map of the local area (..hoping for the usual b&w map with directions to the next hooters..). The answer "...oh, I'll just pull it right up on my ipad..."
- minutes later, still no map -
"...must be a network issue..."
Even if it had worked, how exactly I was supposed to memorise all the streets around the hotel wasn't quite clear to me....

Flying Daruma
13th Dec 2013, 11:26
At my airline, we have an app and I personally find it to be the most useful tool in the cabin. It allows managers/ground staff/customer service representatives make notes regarding passengers and sometimes it can make all the difference in the way you approach a passenger or deal with an issue. It also lets you notify other people if any situation arises and how they may be able to rectify it.

Naresh Rao
15th Dec 2013, 05:35
I work for an India based carrier and we are contemplating using platforms like I pad or other devices to replace our manuals, and use it to provide greater service experience to pax.

How is it working on the airlines that already have such policies? Request for feedback.