PDA

View Full Version : The Devil you know...

PTT
8th Dec 2013, 21:46
Satanists Seek Statue On Oklahoma Statehouse Steps (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/08/satanists-oklahoma_n_4408486.html?utm_hp_ref=politics)
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) In their zeal to tout their faith in the public square, conservatives in Oklahoma may have unwittingly opened the door to a wide range of religious groups, including satanists who are seeking to put their own statue next to a Ten Commandments monument on the Statehouse steps.

The Republican-controlled Legislature in this state known as the buckle of the Bible Belt authorized the privately funded Ten Commandments monument in 2009, and it was placed on the Capitol grounds last year despite criticism from legal experts who questioned its constitutionality. The Oklahoma chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union has filed a lawsuit seeking its removal.

But the New York-based Satanic Temple saw an opportunity. It notified the state's Capitol Preservation Commission that it wants to donate a monument and plans to submit one of several possible designs this month, said Lucien Greaves, a spokesman for the temple.
Sounds perfectly reasonable to me... :D

Dushan
8th Dec 2013, 22:01
I am sure con-pilot will be here shortly to tell us how the Wilsboro Baptist Church members were greeted in Oklahoma and how the Satanists may expect to be treated.

con-pilot
8th Dec 2013, 22:48
Actually, it sounds like it could be an opportunity for a good party. Of course for the Baptists, the party will be outside next to the trunks (boot) of their cars, where they keep their Vodka. :p

This is the first I've heard of this by the way. Maybe I need to get out more. :\

onetrack
9th Dec 2013, 01:35
A monument to the Great Satan?? Sounds like, if it goes ahead, they'll have millions of Iranians promptly lining up to demolish it via suicide bombers. :eek:

Those Satanists need to think this through a little better. Perhaps just a gigantic orgy sculpture would be more subtle - after all, no-one knows what Satan really looks like, anyway. :suspect:

con-pilot
9th Dec 2013, 01:58
no-one knows what Satan really looks like, anyway.

I do, I used to fly for him. :ooh:

pigboat
9th Dec 2013, 02:21
You mean he looks like Janet Reno? :eek:

probes
9th Dec 2013, 08:05
if you'd change 'on Oklahoma', it would make a wonderful tongue twister:

Satanists Seek Statue ......... Statehouse Steps

So?

onetrack
9th Dec 2013, 10:57
Oooh, yes, the Editors could have had a ball - they obviously don't make editors of the same quality as they used to ... the headlines could have absolutely screamed ...

"Satanists Seeking Self-Serving Satisfaction in Seeing Sexualistic Satanic Statue on Statehouse Steps!!"

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Dec 2013, 11:00
you could have got a 'subversive' and a 'salacious' in there too.;)

SawMan
9th Dec 2013, 12:32
I've always admires those who use subversion to achieve their goals, even when I disagreed with them. It's a sure sign of ability to use logical thought and indicates intelligent life exists on the planet :ok: I;m not as good at this as I'd like, but I digress.

Here in the US we're guaranteed freedom to practice any chosen religion that is not contrary to other laws. The problem comes with government intervention, such as defining what "a religion" is, and it's setting limits (or not) on how it may be practiced in public. We all know that once the government gets involved, it's going to turn into a quagmire of rules and regulations that sometimes contradict each other (a sign that those life-forms are quite unlike the subversives :eek: )

I am highly offended by the way some practice their religions, and are treated differently because they are claiming their religion as the basis of what they do. Were I to do the exact same thing without using religion as the basis I would be jailed. :hmm:
So here we have some folks whose 'intelligence' caused them to get a law enacted to allow them to place a religious icon in a public place, knowing that it would offend some people whom they did not truly care about. They have no right to beef about someone else doing the exact same thing, and now their efforts are bearing their true fruit as the government cannot deny one but not the other :=

They have fallen on their own swords and proven to the world that they lack intelligence.

Nothing new there to me, which is why I practice my own religion in private, affecting only those who choose to hear me speak calmly and logically in a normal tone of voice. I seek not adherents nor support nor money, for this is mine and I do not have to share it though I will if asked. I feel that this is how all religions should act, for if what you have to offer is as good as you think it is, adherents, support, and money will come willingly without request- and if it doesn't then perhaps it is you on the wrong course :ooh: If you're not willing to consider that possibility then you will fall on your own sword too.

OFSO
9th Dec 2013, 13:57
no-one knows what Satan really looks like, anyway

Although there are doubts about God's gender (feminists insist He is really a She and there's little proof either way in the Bible) it is interesting that theologically Satan is very much a male.

However:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUbIw3ERwvM

BlueDiamond
9th Dec 2013, 14:05
Well, according to the laws of physics, for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction so theoretically there must be equal forces of good and evil. Certainly those who are of a religious persuasion acknowledge the existence of the two opposite entities, so it is logical that there would be worship of both. So why not statues to both? It wouldn't be very logical to say there could be statues to only one of these two acknowledged "beings".

tony draper
9th Dec 2013, 14:26
If it's true he has horns means he's a vegetarian,no carnivore has had horns since the dawn of time, ergo if Madam BD is right his opposite number likes his steak rare.
:E

airship
9th Dec 2013, 16:04
con-pilot wrote: Actually, it sounds like it could be an opportunity for a good party. Of course for the Baptists, the party will be outside next to the trunks (boot) of their cars, where they keep their Vodka. :p

I wouldn't be surprised if 007 was already on his way to Oklahoma on behalf of H.M.S.S.:

M: "James, if you go over there, you'll be "on your own time and initiative". Don't expect us to intervene if you tread on the toes of our friends there. And you're certainly not authorised to take any of Q's devices with you."

JB: "No problem. But I've a hunch...?! If nothing comes of it, I'll at worst be able to enjoy my favourite tipple, a vodka-martini (thanks to the Baptists) and if luck has anything to do with it, "suitably shaken and not-stirred" (if they have another earthquake there, which I'm betting-on), in the good company of con-pilot, experiencing deep-fried turkey for the 1st time. At best, I'll merely save the World (again)...?!" :ok:

OFSO
9th Dec 2013, 16:16
It's all because of poor PR, Mr D. If the Devil did look and behave, as in the film, like La Liz, there would be a few more souls signing up !

con-pilot
9th Dec 2013, 17:20
You mean he looks like Janet Reno?

Damn, you're good Piggy, I really didn't think anyone would get that. :ok:

Yes, Janet Reno is Satan in drag. So I know what the female version of him looks like. :p

11Fan
9th Dec 2013, 20:21
Pleased to meet you. Hope you've guessed my name.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Dec 2013, 20:22
But what's troubling you is the nature of my game...

11Fan
9th Dec 2013, 20:26
Re: Liz. What the hell was Hugh Grant thinking? :ugh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
9th Dec 2013, 20:38
See Divine Brown - I don't think it's Hugh's brain that does the thinking. Try aiming a metre lower.

11Fan
9th Dec 2013, 21:54
Divine Brown

Yeah, that's the one. Couldn't remember the name.

And it wasn't in a Jeep, it was a Hummer.