PDA

View Full Version : OJT Basic AME License

gooner14
8th Dec 2013, 16:28
I'm currently working in a line maintenance facility in SYD. Have been struggling for the past 3 years to complete a proper Journal of Experience towards a basic AME license. I've come to a point where everything from now on is routine work and not much can be added to the list of jobs/tasks being performed. Tried emailing / calling a few MRO's in Aust and even overseas to see if they offer an OJT program but so far have not had any luck. Ideally this sort of experience would only come in a hangar or base maintenance facility but it works out to be a catch 22. No experience = No job. No job = No experience. Would anyone out there have any insight as to how to go about this?

emergency000
9th Dec 2013, 00:28
G'day gooner,
When you say you're working towards a basic AME license, do you mean a non-type rated license? Or what would have been called a lower group license in the CAR 30 world?

Or are you referring to a B1 or B2 license on a type rated aircraft?

Ultimately, as you're obviously well aware, the best way to complete a JoE is to get yourself into a heavy or base maintenance facility. Maybe give BAE Systems a call, as I believe they may be taking over Tiger's line and base maintenance in Sydney, as they just did in Melbourne.

Talk to your Part 147 approved MTO, which in your case would probably be Padstow TAFE about your difficulties getting entries in your OJT. They may be able to give you some insight into how Parts 66 and 147 work regarding OJT, PCT, POC, etc. That'll hopefully give you some ideas on how to keep moving forward and get closer to getting licensed.

On a side note: have you completed your diploma yet?

Cheers,
John

gooner14
9th Dec 2013, 02:51
Hey mate, thanks for your response. Yes I'm working towards a basic license without a type rating or LWTR in the B1 trade. I have completed my Diploma in Aircraft Maintenance Engineering EASA B1.1 with Aviation Australia in 2010 and have been working ever since. I've got all my Part 147 Basic Exams done. Now its just the Part 145 or OJT thats lacking towards a basic LWTR application. I have spoken to AA multiple times regarding this but the underlying issue remains with the completion of OJT / work experience which is impossible or difficult to obtain these days unless employed by a large organization with hangar facilities. Between you, me and the trees, I have been employed by BAE Systems in Sydney starting in Feb 2014. From what I understand they only do "A" checks in Melb and I'm not sure if that will suffice towards completing certain tasks in my JoE. Nonetheless its still an option and will let time play its part. I've also tried contacting Lufthansa Technik in the Philippines to enquire about prospects there.

emergency000
9th Dec 2013, 03:05
Good to hear you've got the diploma. I'm currently working on my diploma and will be looking at OJT after that.

Did AA issue you with the OJT book? If so, can it be used to record work performed on any aircraft, whether type-rated or not? As this is something I'm trying to find out about OJT books.

Tiger tend to have 2-3 aircraft on the ground overnight in Sydney each night. As an AME, I would guess you'll likely be on permanent night shift, but you will get some decent OJT jobs. A lot of overnight servicing is pretty routine: oils, cabin stuff, wheels & brakes, etc. but every now and then other things pop up.

Of course, if relocation is a possibility, try BAE in Melbourne where you can do overnight servicing on the tarmac as well as get the A checks in the hangar. I think they're still advertising.

Cheers,
John

gooner14
9th Dec 2013, 03:25
Yea I'm using the Work Experience History sheets given to me by AA. Seems pretty comprehensive. Cant really get my head around the whole CASA Experience Sheets. I'm currently using those sheets for my JoE and at a later stage I'm planning to use it towards a SoE for an A320 type license. As it stands, the company I work for now have been doing the Tiger Maintenance in Sydney for the past 1.5 years. So it'll be pretty much the same kinda work in BAE but with a different outift. Yeah have made clear my intentions to relocate to Melb but this will only be an option once the Sydney station is up and running for a couple of months at the least.