PDA

View Full Version : Secret Santa - Bah!

Airey Belvoir
8th Dec 2013, 08:14
Next weekend we’re invited to a party and all the guests have been asked to bring along a “secret santa” gift of up to $10 (yep, we’re cheap!). However, one couple have already let it be known to the hosts that they are going to bring an envelope each with a note telling the recipient that $10 has been donated on their behalf to a charity chosen by the giver of the secret santa “gift’!!!

I can only presume that this couple will be delighted with receiving their festive nicknack from other guests but, in return, will the recipient of the mandatory donation be as chuffed.

If I get one of the “donations” I intend cutting up rough :}

What would other Ppruner’s do in this situation?

beaufort1
8th Dec 2013, 08:47
I probably wouldn't go as I wouldn't want to mix with people of that mind set.
Bah humbug. :rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
8th Dec 2013, 09:10
Feelthy sex toy from a sleazy backstreet smut emporium, preferably used. By hook or by crook make sure one of them get it.

Krystal n chips
8th Dec 2013, 09:32
We have this "quaint", probably another American import....:p, at work. Nowt over a £5.....fair enough, and the gifts are made to names drawn from a hat....which leads to said gifts being, in some cases, used to, ahem, "express an opinion and certain sentiments" towards the recipient.

However, this year we have a new arrival.....ready for this??.. and I am being serious here when he stated that.....his friend has werewolf traits, in his opinion, as everybody in the world now has phone cameras and with social networking, there are NO state secrets anymore.....so that's the CIA, Mossad, KGB and GCHQ all now redundant then....and, he has a delightful habit of criticising others without actually having the experience to do so.

Informing the established personnel, on day 2, that, he had only taken the position to gain further future promotion, the proverbial "tick in the box" did, as you can imagine, endear him to all and sundry from this point on.

Consequently, there is a queue for this name....everybody in fact !....so it is possible that the draw may not be quite so anonymous in one case.....:E

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Dec 2013, 13:10
Presumably you like the hosts, thus non-attendance is not an option.
Do not sink to their level - get a normal secret santa gift.
A charity gains, maybe not your choice but it is the season of goodwill.

Next year, organise your own party and don't invite the sanctimonious gits.

racedo
8th Dec 2013, 15:34
Have done the secret Santa draw in an office and of course the England Rugby supporter got a Wales Rugby Calendar, guy always later got an alarm clock, guy unable to tell jokes a joke book etc etc.

Done in a way to not embarass people it can be fun.

Mind you did work in one place where one of senior people got one of the secretarys for life. Given both single it was a good result. He became less of a PITA and she became less hormomal and neurotic.

DX Wombat
8th Dec 2013, 15:54
I'm not sure why you are all so upset by this idea. At my request my former colleagues were asked to buy some sheep and goats for a poor country as my retirement present. If you would rather have something in your hand why not suggest they buy something for the agreed amount from a charity shop? That way both sides will be happy.

Airey Belvoir
8th Dec 2013, 23:53
That’s great DX. That was YOUR request and I guess that everyone was happy.

In this instance the hosts will be embarrassed, the rest of the guest will be wondering WTF, and a couple of holier than thou ingrates will go off into the night with a warm and fuzzy feeling.

One wonders how they would feel if I decided to give them a free pass to the local brothel?

The issue is all about them imposing their morality and Christian beliefs onto the rest of us when all we want is a bit of Christmas frivolity, a few drinks and good company. Having told the hosts about what they plan to give it has already cast a dark, dark cloud on the event as the hosts are letting everyone know and apologising in advance!

And the bugger of it is this couple won’t have a bar on Jehovah’s Witnesses coming on to their property! Go figure.

balsa model
9th Dec 2013, 01:30
Let me see:
You are part of an agreement according to which you are due a ~$10 gift. The person that is responsible fails to deliver because, they say, they've spend the money on a charity.
The last part is just an excuse.
Definitely a fraud.
I would ask for the tax receit :E

fujii
9th Dec 2013, 04:05
Secret Santa, Kris Kringle, call it what you will, is's just something else thought up to get you to spend more and the resulting "gift" is some useless trinket which ends up getting thrown out (chocolate excepted). How often do people end up getting bath salts, soap and candles? This year the four in my family have already advised that we will donate towards providing education for a girl in a third world country. Unlike the cynical post above, we actually do donate.

probes
9th Dec 2013, 07:02
Well said, Airey. What about suggesting everybody bring the 10 and make a big heap and the hosts decide where to donate it to? :E

BillHicksRules
9th Dec 2013, 07:21
Airey,

There are certainly going to be a few ingrates at the party but only if you go.

You poor little thing not getting a pwesent. Maybe Santa will see you right if you have been a good boy.

Airey Belvoir
9th Dec 2013, 07:37
There’s always one isn’t there ? :rolleyes:
Well, for the hard of understanding I’ll re-state it:

The issue is all about them imposing their morality and Christian beliefs onto the rest of us

It’s certainly not about getting a “pwesent” :ugh: It’s about social ineptness. And I naively thought that such social mores might be worth a grown up discussion - and it was until Bwill Ricks Hules came along.

UniFoxOs
9th Dec 2013, 07:47
I'm with Fujii on this. I don't want another piece of useless [email protected] and I'd rather know the dosh has gone to a good cause.

If you think that helping those less fortunate than ourselves is a religion, then maybe you are what your username says.

BillHicksRules
9th Dec 2013, 10:23
Airey,

So you are upset about Christian beliefs being imposed at a Christmas Party?

Do you really not see the irony in your petted-lippedness?

Limeygal
9th Dec 2013, 10:47
At work we do both-club together and send to a charity and we also play dirty Santa at the office party. I personally don't want a piece of crap present just for the sake of it. It would not upset me if I got the slip with the donation on it. It's all supposed to be a bit of fun anyway isn't it? Get over it.

cockney steve
9th Dec 2013, 11:21
I'm cynical (and old enough) to believe that ALL major "charities"are little more than self-serving gravy-train businesses for their managements....
by the time they've had their cut, corrupt officialdom in the recipient country take their skim, very little actually gets through to the purported benificiary.
there are exceptions....I struggle to name them.
If i could be sure that at least 75% of a donation would reach it's intended recipient, then I'd donate.

I can't and don't. The other issue I have with the snotty-nosed starving fly-blown Africans....the kids frightened to go home .....the homeless..... For at least 50 years we've been pumping resources into them...if they had any intention of learning to become self-sufficient, they'd have done it in the last 3 generations.

As for the poor little UK children.....WTF??? Social Workers are paid to do a job.....every "Baby P " scandal highlights their lack of care or competence....sack them! it's supposed to be a caring VOCATION not a cushy 9.30 to 4.30 alternative to a proper job with accountability!

I'm with Balsa Model....let the sanctimonious gits provide a $10 cheque with a space for the "winner" to fill out the lucky charity's name.

OFSO
9th Dec 2013, 12:37
Take one of these along - will please Democrats and Republicans alike (although doubtless for different reasons)..

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/IMG_20130917_113902_zps1bd51088.jpg

Airey Belvoir
9th Dec 2013, 14:37
Might not be appreciated by an Aussie audience OFSO.

MagnusP
9th Dec 2013, 14:52
a couple of holier than thou ingrates will go off into the night with a warm and fuzzy feeling.
. . . and a carrier bag full of presents.

If they had any sincerity about the whole thing, they would suggest that the donations should be in the gifts they would have received, not given.

Piper.Classique
9th Dec 2013, 16:10
I think Cockney Steve and Balsa have got it right. But if you want one or two ideas for charities you could look up the Brooke or the Laos Literacy Project.
Or not. Probably some homeless person near you who could find a use for some cash, but obviously that wouldn't work in this particular case.

balsa model
9th Dec 2013, 16:39
Secret Santa, Kris Kringle, call it what you will, is's just something else thought up to get you to spend more ... Unlike the cynical post above, we actually do donate.
Takes one to know one. BTW: You might notice the "evil grin" emoticon. I know I'm being bad - hoping that it is taken in a humorous way.

This year the four in my family have already advised that we will donate towards providing education for a girl in a third world country. Unlike the cynical post above, we actually do donate.
I was going to say something meaner yet, but then I recalled that it would be ironic, given that it all started because of a corrupt Christmas spirit.

cockney steve: I know what you're saying. But if I let the scum that always tries (and often succeeds) exploiting the good will, make me stop, then they inflict double damage. When I despair (after another scandalous discovery), then I recall that "you will always have poor". The hand reaching out is more important than how much is in it. If it's not, then the relationship is already degenerate. At least that's what I think at my tender age.

Piper.Classique: Thank you for the lead. Perhaps we need a thread: Well run charities.