PDA

View Full Version : Royal aircrew

very old flyer
6th Dec 2013, 13:51
In the Spectator of 23 November 2013, there is a snippet in the column by Charles Moore:
"The Netherlands, which I recently visited is perhaps the only country whose monarchy is as popular as ours. What the Dutch monarch can do politically is even more curtailed than our own, which may explain why the new King, Willem-Alexander, is still an airline pilot. His Majesty puts in the hours required to maintain his licence by flying KLM Cityhopper's Fokker 70s.
For this purpose, he works under one of his least known titles, "W.A. van Buren".
It shows how calm and sensible the Dutch are that this can happen. Imagine if the Duke of Cambridge took his turn in the BA cockpit, disguised as William Carrickfergus. How the the twerpy snappers, the stag -party drunks, the Tweeters and Facebookers, the Islamist terrorists, and the representatives of my own dear trade would start creating in-flight turbulence."

This is of course written from a British perspective.

But I think it is really cool! Go, King, go:D

The SSK
6th Dec 2013, 14:05
Now try to guess his PPRuNe name ...

DX Wombat
6th Dec 2013, 17:49
For heaven's sake, leave the poor lad somewhere where he can enjoy himself and remain anonymous. :ugh:

ex_matelot
6th Dec 2013, 18:19
Hr Draper seems suspiciously quiet :)

G-CPTN
6th Dec 2013, 18:24
Now try to guess his PPRuNe name ...

Hr Draper seems suspiciously quiet

It isn't him . . .

PTT
6th Dec 2013, 18:35
That's exactly what I'd expect him to get one of his flunkies to say if it were him :ok:

Loose rivets
6th Dec 2013, 19:26
Don't worry G-C, most of us can only dreeeeeeeam of being the FSL's flunky. :}

His kingkness is nowhere near as famous as this airline captain.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/PpruNe/bruce-dickinson.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/walnaze/media/PpruNe/bruce-dickinson.jpg.html)

ex_matelot
6th Dec 2013, 19:48
I believe Hr Draper was 'outed' a while back for his airline to-doings:

Yorkshire Airlines - YouTube

500N
6th Dec 2013, 20:11
Is this him ;)

Bare essentials of safety from Air New Zealand - YouTube