PDA

View Full Version : Brad Pit Buys Spitfire

Bevo
5th Dec 2013, 22:05
Money can’t buy happiness, but it sure helps.

"Fury", starring Brad Pitt and Shia LaBeouf, is a World War II drama following the trials of a tank squadron as they infiltrate Nazi territory. The movie's not due out in theaters until November 2014, but the crew has nearly concluded filming and Pitt's congratulated himself for his own hard work by buying an airplane.

Since this is Brad Pitt we're talking about, the airplane in question won't just be any old thing; the purchase is in fact a WWII Spitfire flown by the Royal Air Force. The price tag? A cool $3.3 million.

In actuality we kind of feel bad for Pitt, as he's got this brand new toy and yet an inability to play with it. You see, Brad has his private pilot's license but no training in these historic aircraft, although rumor is he's working on that right now in Oxford, at the Boultbee Flying Academy. It was actually Angelina who got her license first, in 2004, and even son Maddox has taken lessons.
http://www.jaunted.com/story/ (http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/12/3/164427/319/travel/Brad+Pitt%27s+Airplane+of+Choice+Comes+Straight+from+the+Ski es+of+World+War+II)

Buster Hyman
5th Dec 2013, 22:29
Did he get it cheap? Was it a 'Pitt Special'???

Basil
5th Dec 2013, 22:33
As one of our pilots said to another who rode a superbike: "Do you mind if I take out a whole life policy on you?" :}

Edited to say that I wish him well but please get proper training before having a go.

SASless
5th Dec 2013, 22:54
As Pitt and the Spit will expire together....it shall be a sad day....Spits are so special and rare, and have so much character and charm.....and you can just stand there and listen to them for hours upon hours and admire them for what they are, where they have been, and what they have done.....quite unlike Pitts of course.

Lancelot37
5th Dec 2013, 22:55
Who's Brad Spit?

Dave Wilson
5th Dec 2013, 23:41
Why the vitriol? We need high profile people like the Pitts and the Vordermans and the Travoltas to keep GA and warbirds in the public awareness. I've no idea what sort of pilot Brad Pitt is but if he has the nouce that he's shown in his business career I dare say he will approach flying a Spitfire with the same careful analysis as he's shown in his public life. I know it may come as a surprise but these people aren't idiots. Best of luck to him.

davydine
5th Dec 2013, 23:56
Quite right Dave Wilson, why shouldn't he be able to fly it. How many hours did the average WWII pilot have before bing let loose with a Spitfire.

I am sure Mr. Pitt will have many hours of training before he goes solo i. It, is not as though there are no two seat Spitfires available if you have the money to pay for the training

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Dec 2013, 00:00
Best of luck to him. Maybe he's a Ppruner already?;)

Somebody mention it to him :ok:

Dave Wilson
6th Dec 2013, 00:13
It, is not as though there are no two seat Spitfires available if you have the money to pay for the training

Well being as you've mentioned it there's one for sale in our hanger...Mr Pitt?

tartare
6th Dec 2013, 01:19
One hopes Mr Pitt will not be bit by his Spit.
Do we know what mark it is?
A delight to fly by all accounts, but not easy to taxi and take off - espec. later marks prone to torque induced yaw and roll IIRC?
Was it just the Griffon engined ones that did so?
Easy on the throttle and foot on right rudder as experienced pilots like Sir Tim Wallis found out.
And as for the `Spitfire bounce' on landing...

GreenKnight121
6th Dec 2013, 02:30
Why the vitriol? We need high profile people like the Pitts and the Vordermans and the Travoltas to keep GA and warbirds in the public awareness. I've no idea what sort of pilot Brad Pitt is but if he has the nouce that he's shown in his business career I dare say he will approach flying a Spitfire with the same careful analysis as he's shown in his public life. I know it may come as a surprise but these people aren't idiots. Best of luck to him.

Such as actor Michael Dorn (the Klingon Worf in Star Trek Next Generation)... who flew his T-33 solo very well, before trading it in on a Canadair Sabre, which was replaced a few years later by a Rockwell Sabreliner. He has since sold the Sabreliner (he hated the FAA requirement for a co-pilot) and is looking for a supersonic warbird.

He has kept up his fast-jet skills courtesy of the USAF & USN, picking up loggable flight-hours in F-16s & F/A-18s (and some left-seat time in a B-1 Lancer).

Airport Journals (http://www.airportjournals.com/Display.cfm?varID=0806018)

tartare
6th Dec 2013, 02:36
That's a great story Green Knight.
You guys are very lucky over there - civilians being allowed to own and fly fast jets.

Trim Stab
6th Dec 2013, 05:10
No kidding - but I once had Brad and his missus in the back of the cab. They were both delightful pax and took a great interest in our job - in fact Brad sat in the jumpseat for t/o and mrs Brad sat with us for the landing.

Dave Wilson
6th Dec 2013, 07:06
Tartare are you in the UK? If you are (and apologies if you aren't) there are plenty of civilian fast jet owners and pilots here. You just need very deep pockets...:)

ExRAFRadar
6th Dec 2013, 07:09
Probably thought it was another kid...

tartare
6th Dec 2013, 07:17
No Dave - in Orstraylia.
Yes of course, you're quite right - my error.
There's a few over here too.
And a glorious Hunter that occassionally streaks through NZ skies.
I didn't really understand what a blue note was until I heard that sound.
Fantastic.

Party Animal
6th Dec 2013, 07:39
Maybe Brad can dogfight with Tom Cruise - owner of a Mustang I believe.

Oh - and not the Ford version :ok:

fergineer
6th Dec 2013, 07:43
Tartare the Hunter has not flown for a long while now, got a nice covering of dust here in Tauranga Still looks the part though.

tartare
6th Dec 2013, 07:57
Sad to hear Ferg.
I imagine it'd be pretty pricey to keep airborne.
Saw it knifing across the horizon over the Hauraki Gulf a few years ago.
What the hell is that sound? - I thought.
Then saw the jet; he was in a steep turn - I was looking directly at the underneath of him.
The planform looked like an arrowhead.
At first I couldn't work it out - and then realised - holy heck - that is a Hunter.

BBadanov
6th Dec 2013, 08:50
and then realised - holy heck - that is a Hunter.

Hunters pop up in the strangest places - we did have some ex-Singaporean ones here in Oz, but I think all grounded now?

But 2 years ago I was in California at Pt Mugu, and saw about 3 Hunters there - evidently used for various targeting training or trials.

Wensleydale
6th Dec 2013, 08:58
Maybe Brad can dogfight with Tom Cruise - owner of a Mustang I believe.

Oh - and not the Ford version

The Spitfire should "Triumph" then.

jolihokistix
6th Dec 2013, 09:23
My father flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, and it must surely be in my genes to do so too, so why can't Brad Pitt do it then? Good luck to him.

I am really glad that an American recognizes the value of one of these planes. :D

thunderbird7
6th Dec 2013, 09:53
I can't believe somebody mentioned Carole Vorderman in the same celebrity sentence as Brad Pitt?!?!? :eek:

The Point Mugu hunters work for this outfit (http://www.atacusa.com/atac_aircraft.html) doing DACT and FRADU type work for the USN.

Dave Wilson
6th Dec 2013, 10:06
I can't believe somebody mentioned Carole Vorderman in the same celebrity sentence as Brad Pitt?!?!?

Que? Anyone raising the profile of aviation is worth a mention in my book. I'm not sure whether you are a Brad Pitt fan who is outraged that someone with a degree in Engineering is being mentioned in the same sentence or whether you are a Carol fan outraged that one of the most high profile film stars in the world is being mentioned in the same sentence.

Not understanding nor caring about celebrity puts me at a disadvantage.

Edit: Unless of course they are using their fame to raise the profile of aviation in which case it's a wonderful thing.

racedo
6th Dec 2013, 10:28
Long as Brad is doing it for the right reasons
...........love of the aircraft and to preserve then tis ok.

If looking for another trophy then meh, then again he got Angelina so why have another trophy.:E

pontifex
6th Dec 2013, 10:56
There are some remarkably good show bis characters flying vintage warbirds. I am sure we more mature types remember Gary Numan. Initially widely rubbished but, in fact a very safety conscious pilot on who's wing I was more than happy to do low level aeros; and you don't get more trusting than that. There were more but I was not personally involved with them but I don't remember any of them fouling up significantly which is more than could be said for some very experienced professionals. Good luck to Brad Pitt, he is carrying on an excellent tradition.

NutLoose
6th Dec 2013, 11:05
Don't forget the late Cliff Robertson, the actor

Jerry Billing, Cliff Robertson and A Spitfire (http://www.spitcrazy.com/jerrybilling.htm)

:)

National Aviation Hall of Fame (http://nationalaviation.org/robertson-cliff/)

Asked if he ever flew his Spitfire, Robertson replied “I’ll give you the same answer I gave my insurance adjustor – ‘Of course I didn’t fly it.’ That’s my answer and I’m sticking to it.” Robertson owned his Spitfire for over 20 years, one of the many vintage aircraft the pilot and noted actor has owned and may (or may not) have flown.

SASless
6th Dec 2013, 12:34
You guys are very lucky over there - civilians being allowed to own and fly fast jets.

You mean your CAA will not allow you to own such things?

Where do they get that "power"?

melmothtw
6th Dec 2013, 12:54
Quote:

I can't believe
somebody mentioned Carole Vorderman in the same celebrity sentence as Brad
Pitt?!?!?
Que? Anyone raising the profile of aviation is worth a mention in my
book.

Yet no mention of Bruce Dickinson? Outrageous!!

OKOC
6th Dec 2013, 13:09
Just happened to be airside at HUY earlier this week and had the pleasure of watching AM Cliff Spink doing circuits in a Spitfire, taxied in to close where I was standing then jump straight into a Bouchon - a Bf109G (with all its vices) fitted with a Merlin. Jealous or what. Twas a beautiful day too.

...." and what did you do today Cliff?"

rigpiggy
6th Dec 2013, 13:38
Regrettably there was a huge loss rate in WW2 due to training. Looking at the Stats over 47000 accidents, and 13000KIA stateside alone.
United States World War II Aircraft Loss Statistics during Flight Training (http://www.taphilo.com/history/WWII/Loss-Figures-Aircraft-USA-Training.shtml)

Most fighter pilots had a really low chance of surviving the first 5 missions, and bomber crews surviving 1 tour was minimal. I am jealous, both of his plane, and wife, Bastidge

Fox3WheresMyBanana
6th Dec 2013, 13:58
Asked if he ever flew his Spitfire, Robertson replied “I’ll give you the same answer I gave my insurance adjustor – ‘Of course I didn’t fly it.’

I flew a Jet Provost for a millionaire in the US. There wasn't a problem getting me licensed or insured (120 hrs on type).
When I asked the FAA about a type rating for my millionaire, the answer was "Tell him, when he's passed a suitable training course and type rating exam, of course. Between you and me, no f#cking way"
When I asked the insurance company, I got an identical response.

RAFEngO74to09
6th Dec 2013, 15:00
There are some great ex-military aircraft up for grabs over here in the USA for those with the means. For instance, this immaculate TA-4J Skyhawk - which has undergone a 50,000 manhour restoration - was on display at Palm Springs Military Aircraft Museum in May 2013 for sale at $2.95M. It had previously been advertised for $4.5M so they might be open to offers !

Platinum Fighter Sales - Warbird and Classic Aircraft Sales (http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!ta-4j-skyhawk/masterpage_37)

broadreach
12th Dec 2013, 22:09
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Richard Bach. Twenty years at least since I read his barnstorming book and many others. And I do recall he had a bit of trouble with a P-51 landing.

As for Brad Pitt, why shouldn't he turn out to be competent? His insurers will surely be all over him to secure the best training. His track record in films, as someone has already mentioned, shows he can focus. More power to him if he can help to preserve a flying relic.

aviate1138
13th Dec 2013, 06:41
Don't forget Sir Peter Jackson...... Gifted movie maker and owns a few aeroplanes I understand?