PDA

View Full Version : Holy Ship......

Dak Man
4th Dec 2013, 21:54
A floating vessel that is longer than the Empire State Building is high has taken to the water for the first time.

The hull of Shell's Prelude was floated in South Korea.

When fully built, Prelude will be the largest floating facility ever created, weighing more than 600,000 tonnes.

BBC News - Shell's record-breaking Prelude takes to the water (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25213845)

Ancient Mariner
4th Dec 2013, 21:56
No main engine, no propulsion, no ship. Just a floating storage/process plant.
Per

500N
4th Dec 2013, 22:01
We shall see how it handles it's first big cyclone.

Hopefully it doesn't sink !

Fareastdriver
4th Dec 2013, 22:01
I hope that the decision not to put its own propulsion is a good idea. Admittedly it would add billions to the design but there have been a lot of near misses with unpowered FPSOs in the past.

500N
4th Dec 2013, 22:06
Agree.

What happens if it "breaks free" during a cyclone and can't do anything itself.

Other ships / tugs aren't exactly going to be out there to be able to help
and it's not that far off shore.

Low Flier
4th Dec 2013, 23:03
500N,

That why most senior watchkeeping mariners keep a copy of Lloyds Open Form to hand.

Get your own line aboard such a casualty and you are what's called "salvor in possession". Big big money is now yours.

In forecast severe weather, it's not at all uncommon for ocean going tugs to preposition themselves handily close to potential salvage cases and keep a very close eye on GMDSS data.

Worrals in the wilds
4th Dec 2013, 23:22
Wow, interesting. They sound like the tow trucks that wait in hope on the motorway at peak hour!
What happens if it "breaks free" during a cyclone and can't do anything itself.
Hopefully not this...:E:}
Front Fell Off - YouTube

500N
4th Dec 2013, 23:49
Low Flyer

Thanks, I didn't know that.

I "think" the North West Shelf where they say this is going to be located
is a restricted area, would have to check that.

onetrack
5th Dec 2013, 04:00
Ahh, it looks like us West Aussies will finally be able to brag, we've got something bigger than Texas can produce. :E :)

Krystal n chips
5th Dec 2013, 05:58
Does size count ?.....we are talking about ships here to save any confusion in certain minds......and in this case, it certainly does.

Maersk Triple E class - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maersk_Triple_E_class)

I watched the programme on "Quest" about the vessels construction, and the subsequent introduction into service. A very informative programme and even more so when you begin to make the logical comparison with aviation.

Mr D will be along shortly with a disparaging view of how even freighters are now floating fluffist gin palaces......;) :D

500N
5th Dec 2013, 06:12
Krystal

Some of those programs on building stuff are superb.

And Merchant ships are gin palaces compared to old ways :O

Krystal n chips
5th Dec 2013, 06:57
Indeed although the "Mighty Ships" series is also fascinating viewing given the variety of vessels shown, along with their construction and operation.

Oddly enough, marginally more interesting than "Strictly come cooking in an X factor jungle with no talent" ad nauseum....;)

Worrals in the wilds
5th Dec 2013, 07:41
"Strictly come cooking in an X factor jungle with no talent":D:D
I agree that the current crop of engineering documentaries (even the ones with a 'reality TV' feel) have been very interesting. I saw one the other day on off-shore oil rigs and how they're constructed to withstand big seas. It's amazing what goes on out there.

airship
6th Dec 2013, 14:32
Sorry to barge in like this...well to all intents and purposes, it is a simple barge, a gigantic one nevertheless, but still a mere barge. At the end of the day, especially a Friday afternoon, and where I'm coming from (been abusing the Scotch this lunch-time)... :ok:

Rossian
6th Dec 2013, 15:38
.....you really SHOULD be taking better care of yourself. If you pop your clogs who else is there for people to shout rude words at? You're beginning to sound like my favourite Irish navigator who also lives in la belle France and also doesn't take good care of himself.

The Ancient Mariner

OFSO
6th Dec 2013, 16:12
the decision not to put its own propulsion is a good idea

I often wonder why the large motorboats moored in Empuriabrava have motors fitted. They rarely leave port, and spend all their time tied up on the quaysides on shore power and water. If they didn't have an engine room, that space could be used for an additional cabin. And for the occasional trip out into the bay - always conducted in calm water - a couple of large outboards strapped on the bathing platform and fed from a drum of fuel on the stern would suffice. Or they could be towed up and down the coast to other marinas, perhaps more than one at a time to save money.

airship
6th Dec 2013, 16:19
Hmmm, interesting observation OFSO. I dare say that if a sufficient number of such "barge-owners" contact and contribute to their local Spanish (or even French) mayor's re-election campaign, "something and including special tax-priviledges" could be organised... :p