PDA

View Full Version : Windy day tomorrow - Dublin

Maddie
4th Dec 2013, 19:36
Good evening all,

I was just wondering if anybody knows how the winds forecast for tomorrow may affect landings at Dublin.

I am scheduled to fly there tomorrow afternoon, arriving at around 4.30pm and am petrified. I experienced a Go Around last month due to wind at Dublin and this has made me even more nervous even though I know my fear is totally irrational and I should not have been afraid of the Go Around - that ye are so well trained and prepared for this, but poor me I 'm not. I also had a Go Around a month before for another reason, so I've had my fair share of them for this millenium!

If it is likely to be bad i.e. quite turbulent, I will travel by ferry instead (I know you will think I am crazy, but this is my fear.)

Thanks,

Maddie

ExXB
4th Dec 2013, 19:50
Maddie,

I've had a few go-a rounds myself, and they are off putting, OK they scare the hell out of you.

Even with high winds at DUB tomorrow there is quite a good chance that you will see or feel nothing unusual. If the wind direction is the same as the runway, you'll notice a few bumps, not unlike driving on a gravel road, before the pilot puts your airplane securely on the runway. That hard landing is intended. Even with a crosswind, the guys in the pointy end know exactly what they are doing, they've done it many times before. All in a days work.

What I wouldn't do, is to get on a boat in that kind of weather. I'd end up feeding the fish the entire crossing. I'd feel that I wanted to be dead, but know I won't be.

I won't wish you luck, you don't need it.

Out Of Trim
4th Dec 2013, 19:53
I just Checked the TAF, (Terminal Area Forecast) for DUB for you. Yes it's going to be a bit windy 280 degrees 18 Kts gusting to 32 Kts.

Well, it may be a bit bumpy in terms of turbulence! However, it will be fine.. The wind is forecast directly down Rwy 28 so, no crosswind to contend with!

I always look at go arounds as getting some more flying time for my money! They are totally safe and better than trying to land off an unstable approach! :ok:

Maddie
4th Dec 2013, 21:46
Hi,

Thank you for your replies, I am still debating what to do. I'll make up my mind in the morning, but ye have given me some re-assurance.

Thanks again.

Maddie

Hotel Tango
5th Dec 2013, 09:14
Maddie, I'm flying somewhere windy today. And I know that it WILL be a crosswind landing. I'm looking forward to it :}

Oh, and this will be on a CRJ-900.

mixture
5th Dec 2013, 11:32
What I wouldn't do, is to get on a boat in that kind of weather.

Agree with what he said.

The very minor prospect of a perfectly safe Go Around vs pitch/roll galore on a boat out on the water....

Even if you don't get sea sick, its not exactly going to be the most enjoyable sea crossing !

McKenster
5th Dec 2013, 12:17
I must admit i was fine until i read about the recent Russian disaster which i believe was attributed to errors made during a GA- may i add this only speculation not proven. (sorry!)

Saying that i sat with a pilot a few years back on a British Midland flight to Iverness as i was a bit nervous about the flight and the winds, helped my other half was a hostess for them.
Anyway it was most impressive, he flew the plane like one would drive a car, i mean it seemed with that ease.
Shoot me down but most of the tricky landings ive had are with cheap charter airlines, (ducks for cover).
I fly with Swiss alot and KLM they are all exceptionally brilliant pilots. Flew last year to Cyprus with a charter and christ i had to check my own undercarriage after landing.

Jwscud
5th Dec 2013, 13:10
You (generally) can't tell much about the landing from the back.

What might seem like a great landing and greaser to you might be dreadful to me, as I've floated a bit too much. Equally, a funny sideways feeling just before touchdown and a firm arrival is probably straightening the aircraft out in a crosswind and getting the aircraft down and going in the right direction. Similarly in rain, snow and so on, you want to be firm in your touchdown as once the aircraft is on the ground, we need to avoid hydroplaning and get the aircraft stopped.

McKenster
5th Dec 2013, 17:09
Thanks this is reassuring information anyway that a heavy landing in less than ideal conditions may well corelate to low grip. :ok:

Hmm was going to ask about max paramaters on cross wind and speeds, but maybe i dont want to know!

A bit like coffin corner i didnt want to know about that :)

Maddie
5th Dec 2013, 23:07
Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for all your feedback.

With every ounce of courage I have, I boarded the flight, expecting the worst. You will not believe me if I tell you it was one of the smoothest flights I've had in yonks (and I've done about 50 since August alone). It was truly a miracle. I wanted so much to get to Dublin today as it was my very elderly mother's birthday and I am so happy and relieved to be here.

So thanks again for all your help.

Maddie

PAXboy
5th Dec 2013, 23:14
MaddieYou will not believe me if...
Actually, we would! ;) :p

Glad you got there promptly and safely, thanks for the feedback as this will help other nervous passengers.

ExXB
6th Dec 2013, 06:14
I also recommend not looking at weather forecasts for your destination.

Maddie
7th Dec 2013, 09:56
Hi,

You know sometimes I do, sometimes I don't but to be honest this week, I didn't. It was somebody in Dublin, on Wednesday evening, who told me about the 'bad winds' forecast for Thursday, and set me off...

Anyway all well that ends well.

And I am not! checking the forecast for early Monday morning, for my return journey.

Maddie

Hotel Tango
7th Dec 2013, 16:58
And there I was looking forward to a bit of excitement landing in Brum (see the Emirates g/a thread), but by the time we came in the worst was over. Still a little choppy but basically greased it in.

Rwy in Sight
7th Dec 2013, 19:09
I am very very lucky and every time I travel the weather in flight and at the destination are very good or at least much better than the forecast. I flew out yesterday and I returned today to a nearby destination. The forecast was for really heavy winds but as usual it was wrong.

So I can say go fly in a positive mood and the weather turns better than expected.

Rwy in Sight

P.S. Did I jinx my next flight?

angels
7th Dec 2013, 20:14
Did I jinx my next flight?

That was rhetorical wasn't it!! :E

When I worked in Singers we had a company freebie to Kota Kinabalu on Borneo. I mentioned to a colleague on the flight home that the last time I had flown back from KK I had experienced my second ever GA (first was Miami). He said he would poo himself if the same happened to him.

Good old MAS went one better than that and we had a TOGA! As we roared back into the cloud I turned and looked at my mate who indeed did look as if he was having bowel problems!! :}

DaveReidUK
7th Dec 2013, 21:54
Good old MAS went one better than that and we had a TOGA!The difference between that and a go-around being what, exactly ?

Sober Lark
10th Dec 2013, 08:14
I had a TOGA once going into FCO. Never again.

DaveReidUK
10th Dec 2013, 11:36
I had a TOGA once going into FCO.Assuming that you don't mean you were flying dressed like this

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcStgq75V2DwKIaK6R0e2GynDn0htE0URyQ6Y3vjoDQ iKcGjOCWu9ioTvLfC

then WTF is a TOGA (as distinct from a go-around) ?

Sober Lark
11th Dec 2013, 09:33
Nice one Dave.

TOGA initiating lost communications procedure.

Out Of Trim
13th Dec 2013, 22:16
Hi Maddie, glad you made it to Dublin for your Mother's Birthday! Nothing would keep me from a similar journey. :D

Sounds like you are a good son!:ok:

DaveReidUK
14th Dec 2013, 08:32
Sounds like you are a good son!I think Maddie might have news for you. :O

ruddman
15th Dec 2013, 14:56
Awkward...:E

Maddie
17th Dec 2013, 21:18
Hi Guys!!

Yep my Mum was delighted to see me, it was her 97th birthday, but not as much as I was to to see terra firma at Dublin.

And Hotel Tango, I am so glad that I didn't know that it was BHX you knew you would be landing in a cross-wind in, as that was my departure airportl

As it was a special day (and I don't mean the weather!), I decided that if I were to fly that I would make it worth it. I had seen a giant teddy in Duty Free many times, a minature version of which I had purchased previously for my Mum, that she loved.

I asked at check in would there be a problem if I purchased the larger version and was told it would be ok.

I have to say mile buiochas (thousand thanks) to Aer Lingus, for accommodating Little, sorry, Big Fred. He even got a row of seats to himself. If I could have posted a picture of him here I would have. He was very big and my Mum loves him.

But yep on a more serious note I have said it before and will say it again, the support nervous flyers like myself get here, means so much. It has helped me fly, which in turn, means I have been able to have more quality time with my Mum over the past 10 years, which I would otherwise not have had, if I had to rely on the ferry and train.

So Happy Christmas and New Year to all the wonderful folk here.

Maddie

Hotel Tango
17th Dec 2013, 21:47
Hi Maddie, I landed about 40 mins before you took off. The worst was over by then. I know it's difficult to fight those fears but turbulence is really nothing to worry about. Just think of it as driving a car on old Belgian cobled roads. It's rough but it doesn't break the car up, unless it's French of course :} :)

Happy Christmas and smooth flights in 2014.

TightSlot
18th Dec 2013, 08:27
Thanks for updating us Maddie - Good to hear that all worked out well

Behind the Curtain
18th Dec 2013, 11:48
I'm pleased to hear that it went well.

I have a strange relationship with flying. I don't call myself nervous, but I used to check the weather too often for my own good. After several flights that were completely inert after a poor original forecast, I stopped doing it. I love a flight on a calm, cloudless day. I have an irrational preference for certain aircraft types (Airbus, because I find the technology fascinating). I like certain airlines - BA, Easy, Swiss/LH, TAP... Adjust any of these factors and I'm less keen, but I'll still go.

I might offer a service to other nervous flyers to allow them to ensure that they're not on the same flight as me - over the years I've had six go-arounds (one last night at LHR!), a lightning strike and a diversion. The funny thing is that these events have reassured me about the safety of the whole operation and the quality of the people involved.

Anyway, well done.