PDA

View Full Version : Instuctor advice

Mr T
27th Feb 2001, 01:24
I am coming to the end of my ppl training and would like to progress to an instuctors rating. Does anyone have any advice as to how to go about achieving this i.e cost and whats involved.

UKPPL
27th Feb 2001, 01:55
Mr T,

You'll need to take (and pass) the JAR CPL or ATPL theory exams and then take (and pass)a FI course. You'll also need a total of 200hrs flight time with 150hrs P1 before you can start the FI course as a PPL (reduced to 100Hrs if you take/pass a CPL course and skills test before the FI course).

Four Forces aviation are currently running JAR CPL theory courses and ATPL theory courses can be found at a number of training establishments, often discussed on this forum.

Another route for you (??) might be to wait for an instructors rating for the new NPPL. This won't start till later this year (?) and you won't be able to teach JAR PPL students. Current proposals, still under discussion are for a minimum of 200hrs P1 plus a training course/test for the NPPL FI rating. Discussions are taking place I believe about how these instructors can be paid (without holding a CPL)...

I'm currently taking doing a JAR CPL course with a view to doing a FI rating and CPL skills test. You can be sure, with my luck, they'll bring out the (far easier/quicker?) NPPL FI rating just as I finish my courses, agghh....!

Mr T
27th Feb 2001, 03:58
UKPPL,

Cheers for that.

Mariner9
27th Feb 2001, 16:18
Are the CPL writtens easier/cheaper to obtain than an ATPL?

StrateandLevel
27th Feb 2001, 16:50
The NPPL is likely to appear next year but any changes in instructor ratings are not part of the initial deal. They remain proposals, which are unlikely to materialise until the NPPL is proved to be a success. Now that will take at least 5 years if at all.

27th Feb 2001, 18:10
I say chaps, what's this NPPL - where can I find out more?

------------------
London Tower this is Skyflash...

UKPPL
27th Feb 2001, 21:40
Mariner9 - No, they aren't any easier,there are just less of them (9 exams in total) they are basically subsets of the ATPL exams.

StrateandLevel - That's good news (in a way)at least I'll get a few years use of my CPL/FI before NPPL takes over - not counting of course, the many (?)students who will still take the JAR PPL because of the limitations imposed by a NPPL.

Cron - Try calling APOA's office in London.

eyeinthesky
28th Feb 2001, 13:22
If you are thinking of becoming a Commercial Pilot then I would recommend that you do the ATPL exams. Most operators require ATPL knowledge to fly multi-crew a/c, and you are allowed to use a calculator in the ATPL nav exams, whereas you have to use the whizzi-wheel in the CPLs!
If you do the CPLs and then want to upgrade you'll end up doing the same stuff twice http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

------------------
"Take-off is optional, Landing is mandatory"

UKPPL
28th Feb 2001, 16:43
eyeinthesky - You can use an electronic calculator in JAR CPL exams, like I said they're just a subset of the ATPL's.

You are right about taking an ATPL course if you want to be more than a paid instructor/glider tow pilot/para dropper etc.

you wrote;

'If you do the CPLs and then want to upgrade you'll end up doing the same stuff twice'

although this is true right now (and bloody stupid...JAR arrgghh)I understand some flight training organisations are talking with CAA, about changing this so you get a full credit for CPL theory, which would make more sense.

TooHotToFly
28th Feb 2001, 17:10
mariner9 - although there's less exams for the CPL, the groundschool courses currently cost more than for the ATPL exams.

Mariner9
28th Feb 2001, 18:46
Like most things to do with JAR Flight Crew Licensing, CPL vs ATPL doesn't seem to make much sense.

All I want to do is become a part-time (weekend) instructor. Spending over £20K to earn maybe £3-4K pa seems crazy!

UKPPL
28th Feb 2001, 22:07
Mariner9 - Yes it's a joke isn't it. If you do decide to do a CPL (and not just add a FI rating onto yr PPL), it will probably take you over 400 hrs of flying instruction before you even break even...

For those people who only want to ever teach students to PPL level at clubs (and get some pay/reward). You would have thought the CAA would have introduced a way of people being able to take FI ratings for training JAR PPLs and get paid for teaching students without having to go through the time consuming and costly process of gaining a full CPL. I guess what I'm refering to is a sort of restricted CPL (restricted to PPL level instruction only) available to anyone who can pass a FI(R) course.

Although I'm all for maintaining high standards of knowledge and instruction, I fail to see why you need JAR CPL knowledge for teaching students to fly C152s.

But then again, I guess the average PPL student will of course be asking what article 3 of the Tokyo convention of 1963 includes....