PDA

View Full Version : Iberia pricing v BA

Volmet South
3rd Dec 2013, 12:30
I'm in the process of booking a couple of long-haul club class tickets from London to Brazil and decided to have a look at the Iberia website. Iberia are selling the same seats on the same direct BA flight for hundreds of pounds less than BA. Needless to say, we'll be taking the cheaper option and will sit in the same seats. Can anybody tell me if this is a one-off or does this normally happen ? If I was to call BA sales, would they honour the Iberia price ?

Jarvy
3rd Dec 2013, 12:43
Its normal and I have seen it the other way round

Hotel Tango
3rd Dec 2013, 13:10
Not unusual, which is why it's always good to shop around. In the days Brussels Airlines and British Midland code shared on a route I often travelled, I found that for the particular flights I favoured the BMA fare was always cheaper than that of Brussels Airlines.

ExXB
3rd Dec 2013, 15:48
AFAIK the two maintain separate pricing departments and each will price their product based on their own dynamics. Also BA will follow the 'one does not sh*t in one's own backyard philosophy', meaning they are less likely to discount in the UK market than IB.

Just for fun compare prices on the MAD-Brazil flights, I betcha BA is cheaper than IB on the same flight.

Not unusual in the wonderful world of airline pricing.

t1grm
10th Dec 2013, 10:51
Quite normal. I was on a project commuting MLA – FRA – CPH every week. The MLA – FRA leg was operated by KM and the FRA – CPH leg by SAS but, they both had code shares with LH. So I had four ticketing options:

KM/LH
KM/SAS
LH/LH
LH/SAS

The prices were different for each combination every week and it wasn’t one combination that was always the cheapest. Block booking tickets was a nightmare. I had to do a spreadsheet to work out the cheapest ticketing option for each week!

Heathrow Harry
11th Dec 2013, 15:26
Last year we looked at Business travel to/from LHR to JFK & Dulles

On both Virgin and BA the direct returns to/from either destination were very pricey but if we traveled out to JFK and back from Dulles it was 60% of the price on either airline - weird..................................