PDA

View Full Version : Private Operations: Uniform

Tray Surfer
3rd Dec 2013, 02:18
I apologise. I am jet lagged and up at 03:15, so forgive me.

I am used to airline-land and uniforms. It being dictated what I wear and how I wear it, which is all peachy.

I know that when I move to corporate, what I wear in the cabin will be very much business-like and appropriate for my role.

I am just, as a point of personal curiosity more than anything else, curious as to what you all wear up front? Does your operator stipulate a specific uniform?
Do you wear a generic white shirt/black tie/epaulettes combo?

Do some operators go for a more "relaxed" approach?

Sorry again for the random questioning.

TS
:)

envoy
3rd Dec 2013, 04:16
We wear the full white shirt/tie/epaulette/bars combo, including a tailored jacket for meet and greet with the pax. All about looking professional and advertising corporate identity.

The FAs wear a uniform as well, skirt in summer, pants in winter/Middle East, beige blouse and company branded scarf. Jacket/tunic to top it off.

I was told that on the GAP account (when managed by TAG US), the crew wore polo shirts/khakis as available at GAP. Casual, but corporate branding. Several other aircraft had similar set ups, particularly when the owners preferred more relaxed attire. Not sure what the FAs wear on the Victoria's Secret jet...

I have heard (rumour only!) that the A & F crew not only have to wear A & F attire... but they also have to be 'good looking'/presentable, on pain of death.

My advice would be - have something simple/smart/professional, plain colours, ready for anything. Flat shoes for use in the cabin so you don't bang your head - especially in the smaller jets!

ksjc
3rd Dec 2013, 07:13
Hi TS.

"Uniforms" vary greatly in the private jet world. I live in California but of course we fly the world...our dress up clothes are shirt and tie. The FA wears blouse, slacks and sensible shoes...no skirt. Normal attire however is no tie/golf shirt with slacks. That's a California based crew. I must say when we roll up at most FBOs in Europe we are terribly casual in comparison to the Euros. I often even change into my street clothes before leaving the plane but that's a different story.

Epaulettes and pilot shirts are uncommon in the US with private ops but outfits like NetJets it is full on pilot uniforms of course.

I can confirm the GAP guys did wear GAP clothes...I know those guys.

London based? I would think the conservative route might be prudent. No Hawaiian shirts for you.

His dudeness
3rd Dec 2013, 08:56
White shirts and epaulettes (cause one needs them in certain countries to be recognozed as crew) no tie, black jeans, comfortable black sport shoes...

Our guys donīt care at all, as long as we donīt carry the remains of last weeks food on the shirt...

Got chewed out though by a congolese offical for wearing shorts on Kinshasas airport apron.... "shorts are for boys!"

envoy
3rd Dec 2013, 12:07
I flew with a guy who, depending on what seat he was assigned for a flight, would only iron the inboard sleeve so that the pax always thought he was sharply dressed...

Tray Surfer: you seem to have asked pertinent questions about many aspects of private ops in recent months... are you trying to start your own management company??

Tray Surfer
3rd Dec 2013, 19:42
Hi envoy,

In regar to:

Tray Surfer: you seem to have asked pertinent questions about many aspects of private ops in recent months... are you trying to start your own management company??

No. I am not. I am a Flight Attendant (I need to get out of the habit of calling myself "Cabin Crew"...) who does not want to look like a total idiot when I make the transition from commercial to corporate flying in the next year or so.
I have been very lucy to be treated very well by members of this forum who, seem to be happy to answer some questions I have in regard to the different worlds that are commercial and corporate aviation.

I am always thankful for the replies I get on here, and realise that this is more pilot focussed than cabin, but you are seem thoroughly decent and I will be happy to work alongside people like yourselves in the future.

Regards,

TS
:)

P.S... I am a man, so the hint on the flat shoes, whilst thoroughly appreciated turned to a moot point... ;)

Klimax
4th Dec 2013, 02:06
Private Ops in China/Asia in general seems to be in the line of tailored uniform (jacket/trousers/skirt) and white shirts with epaulettes, tie/scarf.

When meeting and greeting the boss you wear the full outfit - also on a hot day - any other time the tie and everything (almost!!) goes off.. Of course as an FA your jacket would go off and you would probably have to keep your tie on.. But hey - obviously a lot depends on the "client" presuming private OPS..

Good luck

clunckdriver
9th Dec 2013, 21:10
This time of the year in the "great white north" the uniform reflects the destination forecast temp{ for tomorow minus 28C,} the uniform will be, Parka, snow boots,ex Rusian Navy fur hat, Seal skin gloves, {sorry all you EU anti seal hunt types} and full face mask for the walk around, also some "Hot Shots" in case a finger or toe starts to feel numb!

Tray Surfer
10th Dec 2013, 13:01
Thanks for all the input. Interesting reading.

Piltdown Man
10th Dec 2013, 13:27
Traysurfer: If this is a "private" undertaking rather than an operation who performs charters for private individuals is then it's whatever pleases your principal. The people who will know that will your principal's PAs. If you are working for an operation performing private charters, then the person who decides what you wear is further up the food chain. Over the years, I've seen flight attendants dressed all the way up from looking like a sack of spuds to catwalk models. The majority however, were wearing dark, well tailored, understated suits with simple, well tailored blouses - but all of them had sensible, flat cabin shoes. And don't forget to have a good raincoat and a spare HiViz vest. The latter will keep the idiots at bay and provide full protection from shark attack, earthquake, plagues of frogs and crocodiles.

PM

Dawdler
10th Dec 2013, 16:22
P.S... I am a man, so the hint on the flat shoes, whilst thoroughly appreciated turned to a moot point... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Don't dismiss the suggestion. As an ex-exhibitions manager, one of my cardinal rules for new recruits was "Do not wear new shoes when on duty at an exhibition" I imagine the requirements to be smart but comfortable are much the same when serving pax on board.

His dudeness
10th Dec 2013, 19:03
and a spare HiViz vest. The latter will keep the idiots at bay and provide full protection from shark attack, earthquake, plagues of frogs and crocodiles.

:D:D:D love it, PM !

TWOTBAGS
10th Dec 2013, 19:32
My previous life in private worldwide ops, was proper uniform tie, epaulettes and such. But whenever the boss was not about it was a lot more casual. Had to move the plane at KTEB one day from one FBO to another. It felt a bit weird walking though rush hour at jet, in a t-shirt & jeans when every one else was uniformed up. Get straight in the Falcon and taxi it away..... got some very different looks.

When you get to that end of the market, have you ever noticed that the guys that fly the best planes, are the worst dressed?

2 guys in Hawaiian shirts, shorts and flip flops rock up to G550, then a CJ shows up and out pops the sky god with 5 bars and enough jewelery to make Liberace wince....

tommoutrie
10th Dec 2013, 20:17
Just polished my flip flops for the morning

Pace
10th Dec 2013, 22:57
Its your Boss who determines how he wants his crew dressed. I know one outfit where the pilots are dressed in expensive grey designer suits.

If the Boss wants you in Fishnet tights and suspenders go look for another job :E

Pace

Dawdler
11th Dec 2013, 00:00
If the Boss wants you in Fishnet tights and suspenders go look for another job http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

That is unless................

I.R.PIRATE
11th Dec 2013, 01:48
Travolta is already crewed up.

Evelyn Higginbottom
11th Dec 2013, 10:55
I was told that on the GAP account (when managed by TAG US), the crew wore polo shirts/khakis as available at GAP.

:yuk: ..........

Pace
11th Dec 2013, 11:45
http://chivethebrigade.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/girl-pilots-500-46.jpg?w=500&h=393

Saw these tasteful uniforms at Cannes :E presume must be the summer hot weather wear?

Ideal to keep the crew cool and the PAX boiling ;)

pace

Tray Surfer
11th Dec 2013, 18:59
Lord... Too much.

I will consult Marks and Sparks... ;)

African Eagle
11th Dec 2013, 19:56
That's an admirable uniform you've uncovered there Pace. :ok:

Pace
11th Dec 2013, 21:00
uniform you've uncovered there Pace.

I wish :ok: uncovering sounds a lot of fun :E

Pace

flyboyike
12th Dec 2013, 00:53
If I ever fly corporate, I think I'd like to wear this:

1970s Russian Soviet Air Force Marshal 2 PC Uniform Tunic Pants | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970s-RUSSIAN-SOVIET-AIR-FORCE-MARSHAL-2-pc-UNIFORM-TUNIC-PANTS-/151186594321?_trksid=p2054897.l4276)

Or this:

http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos27/SOVGEN741B.jpg