PDA

View Full Version : WARNING: AVIATION CONTENT! Last flight/s before retirement...

airship
2nd Dec 2013, 14:05
Cockpit Chronicles: Frank's Retirement Flight to Paris - YouTube

Some comments:

1) A little disappointed that not a single passenger gave Frank even a little hug when disembarking.

2) The general announcement to passengers from the co-pilot informing passengers of Frank's imminent retirement covered most possibilities: Frank served in the US military; members of his family were travelling on the flight etc. But it could have gone horribly wrong: "Ladies and gentlemen, this is your co-pilot speaking...this is his last flight." I'm unsure of how many passengers simply wake up a little late when announcements are made, trying to catch up with and make sense of what they just heard (but missed)...?! But presumably, seeing as everyone else was pretty calm, went back to sleep but were nevertheless glad to exit the aircraft on landing (hence why they didn't give Frank the big hugs he deserved)...?!

A friend of mine's dad once piloted BA Concordes. I have to check the dates, but if I remember correctly, mere months separated his own natural death and the last flight of Concordes...?! :eek:

But I'm getting morbid. More videos of safe and last retirement flights welcome... :ok:

DX Wombat
2nd Dec 2013, 14:25
Can't find a video but will keep looking. In the meantime have a look at this. (http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/97472-proper-send-off.html)

Sir Niall Dementia
2nd Dec 2013, 15:33
As a young P2 I found myself flying with a captain on his retirement day. Our last sector was Berlin-UK. It was my turn to fly, I offered him the sector as it was his last trip, he refused. As we stopped on the stand I asked if he would like to shut down the engines, again he refused. If I'd checked my roster carefully I would have seen we still had one sector to fly. One load of pax got off and 120 new pax loaded, he had hired the aircraft to take his family and mates for a one hour trip. I dread to think of the cost, and on arrival back (at one of London's busiest airports) he had arranged with ATC a low approach and go-round for a low level circuit to land.

This was long before 9/11 and many of the pax visited the cockpit and his wife was on the jump seat for the landing. When we finally stopped on stand I shook his proffered hand, thanked him for all the fun he had given me over the last couple of years and then joined everybody for an epic party at a local hostelry.

It was the most stylish end to a flying career I have ever seen.

mikedreamer787
2nd Dec 2013, 19:47
Why wasn't old Frank taken off the
plane to crew ops in a wheelchair?

Used to be a fine airline tradition.

obgraham
3rd Dec 2013, 00:16
Looks like a life well lived (so far!), and a great looking family. We should all be so fortunate.

airship
3rd Dec 2013, 16:57
Tom's butt's? last flight in LH seat:

Tom Butt's Last Flight LAX - Maui - YouTube ;)

Others...

Retiring Delta pilot never missed a day in 45 years - YouTube

Captain Mwangi and his daughter flying KQ together - YouTube (special permission required for daughter co-pilot to fly with father, not really retirement...)

Ben Sassen - Last Flight - YouTube

"Look, and ye shall find..." :uhoh:

airship
3rd Dec 2013, 17:40
How do they all cope (with riding in a back-seat with limited side-views to one side only) afterwards?! Do they sometimes await the call to be heard over the tannoy: "Is there a pilot aboard?!" One day, you're competent...?! The very next, incompetent. Some consolation:

Tribute to the Cats band: Rock en Roll I gave you aII the best years of my Iife - YouTube

the cats - rock and roll - YouTube (alternative version)

(For all those who love flying, Rock n' roll, cats and the Cats in order...) :ok:

PS. In case you were wunderin', in my mind, there is a direct connection (or allusions to be made) of airline pilots entering the profession recently and wannabe "rock n' roll" stars of anytimes. They all do it because they love it, and that's all they know what to do. Who really knows what "retirement" has in store for old rock n' rollers today, or even airline pilots in 20-30 years' time...?! :(