PDA

View Full Version : Amazon wants to start deliveries using drones (merged)

Lon More
2nd Dec 2013, 10:44
According to he Beeb (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25180906) Amazon has announced that it wants to start delivering packages using drones a soon as testing is complete. The Yanks have been doing it for years in Afghanistan

TWT
2nd Dec 2013, 10:54
Can they ring the doorbell ?

Exascot
2nd Dec 2013, 11:10
If you live in the penthouse do you have to leave a window open?

probes
2nd Dec 2013, 11:20
but the vast wide horizons it would open... like getting one's pizza by drones... or why not beer, too, actually? and then traffic regulations for the above-world to avoid crashes... when most things are delivered by drones... and the constant humming (do they hum, actually?) of deliveries being delivered... :cool:

BillHicksRules
2nd Dec 2013, 11:52
I am all for it.

Sick of coming home to one of those "We Tried To Deliver" cards for something they could have clearly put through the letter box had they not actually left it in the depot!!!

Lightning Mate
2nd Dec 2013, 11:58
According to the TV news early this morning, it has a range of one mile.

UniFoxOs
2nd Dec 2013, 12:28
We've not got Christmas out of the way yet, we don't need April 1st stories for a while.

ORAC
2nd Dec 2013, 14:27
but the vast wide horizons it would open... like getting one's pizza by drones...

on4DRTUvst0

cattletruck
2nd Dec 2013, 14:41
Think I'll invest in one of these

http://bugdorm.megaview.com.tw/images/image-demo/demo-Travelers-Insect-Net.jpghttp://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/146/238/265/1283400178398_hz-myalibaba-web6_6016.jpg

:E

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 14:47
IF this ever occurs, I think a few nut cases will take a few pot shots at them.

Do we really need hundreds of these flying around cities ?

Sallyann1234
2nd Dec 2013, 14:51
It's not serious of course. If you look at the video, there is only one drone at the end of a conveyor belt. It would have its work cut out keeping up with deliveries.

Evanelpus
2nd Dec 2013, 14:52
I've heard that a 1GB external hard drive dropped from 100 feet leaves one hell of a crater.

dazdaz1
2nd Dec 2013, 16:20
Just wondering how many drones would be mugged in Liverpool;) I think I can be allowed that statement as the 'Pool' was my birth City.

Having said that, we all know how dogs have some killer instinct as to postman/women who would pay the bill if Fido chewed the drone?

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 16:23
The drone operator.

Certainly puts a new spin on catch the frizz bee !

You could keep a dog entertained for hours with one of those.

Burnie5204
2nd Dec 2013, 16:30
And Waterstones have responded

http://www.waterstones.com/blog/2013/12/introducing-o-w-l-s/

Weíre excited to announce the Ornithological Waterstones Landing Service, a brand new way to receive your favourite books.

O.W.L.S. consists of a fleet of specially trained owls that, either working individually or as an adorable team, will be able to deliver your package within thirty minutes of you placing your order.

Watch our Press Manager Jon Owls introduce the O.W.L.S. project.
<youtube video>

Putting O.W.L.S. into commercial use will take a number of years as it takes ages to train owls to do anything and we only just thought of it this morning.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Isnít this just what they did in Harry Potter?
A: Yes, this is exactly what they did in Harry Potter. Youíre asking that as if this is a bad thing.

Q: Wonít this be really expensive?
A: No, itíll only cost you £2.75 per parcel. (Price subject to inflation between now and the as yet undisclosed point in the future when we will launch the service.)

Q: Will we one day see a fleet of Waterstonesí owls in the sky?
A: Yes! And itís going to be amazing.

Q: Will the owls be treated humanely?
A: Yes! Our owls will be loved by specially trained booksellers who will regularly feed the owls with love, affection and mice.

Q: Isnít this how Alfred Hitchcockís The Birds began?
A: The Birds is fiction, this is the real world. Everything will be fine.

Q: But arenít you worried about the owls developing intelligence and using the knowledge of our home addresses to enact some sort of sky-based revenge? Enslaving us all to deliver their internet orders to their nests?
A: No, the laws of robotics means that this can never happen. The owls will be incapable of harming a human.

Q: But owls arenít robots, theyíre birds.
A: Thatís the end of the questions, thank you

probes
2nd Dec 2013, 16:36
who would pay the bill if Fido chewed the drone?
or pigeons have eaten the pizza? :E

None of the above
2nd Dec 2013, 16:41
I've consulted the parcel tracking facility of Amazon UK a number of times over the past couple of days and find the 'progress' of my parcel* confusing to say the least.
I assume it started somewhere in the UK but it has been noted in Saran, France and now, in Grimbergen, Belgium. Would a drone delivery also take the pretty route?

* A couple of books about the Space Shuttle since you ask.

probes
2nd Dec 2013, 16:47
dunno about Amazon, but generally there are "track-services" for packages - I was advised one by my post office when I re-sent one "over the ocean". And it worked.
Something like that:
Parcelforce Worldwide Track and Trace service (http://www.parcelforce.com/track-trace)

MG23
2nd Dec 2013, 17:11
I assume it started somewhere in the UK but it has been noted in Saran, France and now, in Grimbergen, Belgium.

If it's going by truck, it's probably tossed in the back of whichever one is heading roughly your way and still has space. If it has to pass through customs, I've noticed the courier tracking often shows it at some random spot in the destination country before it crosses the border, because they're pre-clearing customs and that entry is flagged in the country where they're clearing it.

I believe at least one company was doing drone deliveries in a Chinese city until the government noticed and shut them down. The hard part isn't the tech, but convincing the regulators that it can operate safely.

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 17:11
None of the above.

Your initial assumption might be wrong being Amazon.

But I agree, the way some parcels travel around various countries
- or states in the US makes you wonder although I understand the
states in the US.

603DX
2nd Dec 2013, 17:18
Every item I have read about this concept seems to contain the proviso "subject to the approval of the civil aviation authorities". Can anyone really imagine that any of these organisations would abandon their traditionally responsible attitude to crackpot ideas like this, and give their blessing to this dodgy, ill-conceived bit of commercial "kite-flying" for publicity purposes? The mind boggles.

ExXB
2nd Dec 2013, 17:37
Bloody media falling all over themselves regurgitating press releases of stupid* ideas guaranteed to get us lots of free publicity just before a major shopping season.

Michael O'Leary couldn't do it better.

*meaning that the said media outlet has no idea they are being had. Report the news please, don't try to make it. Thank you

BenThere
2nd Dec 2013, 17:47
My experience has been that Amazon is relentlessly pursuing more efficient ways of distributing the goods all of us purchase.

Today, most of the staples I buy, dog food, laundry detergent, toilet paper and paper towels, cereal, and a broad array of other kitchen and household staples, are delivered reliably by Amazon. It may not be the cheapest source, but I don't have to lug the stuff from Costco, either.

I think Amazon is the ultimate supplier of everything anybody needs.

MG23
2nd Dec 2013, 17:56
Can anyone really imagine that any of these organisations would abandon their traditionally responsible attitude to crackpot ideas like this, and give their blessing to this dodgy, ill-conceived bit of commercial "kite-flying" for publicity purposes?

It will happen sooner or later, because the technology is too useful. Most likely later :).

603DX
2nd Dec 2013, 18:03
It will happen sooner or later, because the technology is too useful. Most likely later http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

MG23, I don't share your apparent faith in the infallibility of technology. "Murphy's Law" alone will ensure that "Most likely never" is closer to the mark. ;)

None of the above
2nd Dec 2013, 18:40
If it's going by truck, it's probably tossed in the back of whichever one is heading roughly your way and still has space. If it has to pass through customs, I've noticed the courier tracking often shows it at some random spot in the destination country before it crosses the border, because they're pre-clearing customs and that entry is flagged in the country where they're clearing it.Your initial assumption might be wrong being Amazon.

But I agree, the way some parcels travel around various countries
- or states in the US makes you wonder although I understand the
states in the US. Just checked again and it's in Nuneaton!

racedo
2nd Dec 2013, 19:51
Yup can just see it..................unlimited credit card and shotguns.

Order from Amazon and then see who can shoot the drone down first.

Course if you hacked the persons Amazon account then its not an Amazon parcel being delivered but something that could go boooooooooooooooom.

Loose rivets
2nd Dec 2013, 22:18
Yeh, saw the interview this morning. He seems a nice bloke with a great sense of humor and talked of discussions with the FAA. However . . .

I don't like the idea of them delivering pizzas to helicopter pilots. Not while they're flying, anyway.:}

I think the temptation to nick them will be irresistible - do they envisage arming them so that they may defend themselves? Time constraints would dictate that all decisions would have to be based on on-board assessments made by the piloting logic. No Asimov protection for humans.

In the advertisement a nice man comes out of his house and gets the container. Mmmm . . .

BANG!

Sad, but it'll happen.

Mmmm, again. I wrote that, not entirely in jest, but in extrapolating my thoughts I come up with bewilderingly difficult scenarios to contain. Come on, NSA, you're going to have to do some serious data tracking to thwart an attack made by multiple drones. By multiple, I mean in numbers that an unlimited budget could create. They could quite literally be dispatched by the hundreds at the same time and be impossible to stop with missiles.

Sometimes I don't like my imagination.

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 22:33
Loose

I think the "other side" will wait until the US DoD has perfected drones, UAV's,
mini drones and swarm technology ;)

Then I think you might see someone do something.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Dec 2013, 23:25
This reminds me of those stories in comics when I was a kid, when by the year 2000 we were all going to be flying around cities in mini-helicopters or with jet packs. Thirteen years on and I'm still waiting - don't think I'm going to witness the Amazon drones either :(

Phalconphixer
2nd Dec 2013, 23:41
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v13/foxbat/drone-delivery-notice_zps105c01d7.jpg

meadowrun
3rd Dec 2013, 00:49
I have visions of packs of yobs hiding behind hedges with pellet rifles, software failures, battery failures, mapping failures, serious weight restrictions, resulting in lots of car crushing and/or personal liability lawsuits. Current drones are mostly controlled by humans and that won't be happening with Amazon - luckily.

reynoldsno1
3rd Dec 2013, 01:58
When I first saw this, I assumed that they were going to use the drones inside their warehouse facilities - apparently some workers are walking up to 11 miles a day just moving sh*t around the building...

Loose rivets
3rd Dec 2013, 02:28
Yes, and apparently it's making them psychologically distoyb'd.

(In a, Gee, Officer Krupke, sort of way.)

Dushan
3rd Dec 2013, 02:34
It's not serious of course. If you look at the video, there is only one drone at the end of a conveyor belt. It would have its work cut out keeping up with deliveries.

That was the only one that managed to take off from the conveyor belt.

500N
3rd Dec 2013, 02:43
"apparently some workers are walking up to 11 miles a day just moving sh*t around the building..."

Work in any large warehouse or loading dock and you end up walking
miles in a day. Good shoes / boots are essential.

500N
3rd Dec 2013, 02:44
I can see plenty of kids with sling shots using these as targets.

Gradually knock out each engine / prop ;)

ExXB
3rd Dec 2013, 10:44
I can see a lot of gun-nuts 'standing their ground' and exercising 'castle doctrine' when these fly by. The dozens that will be killed by stray bullets will have it coming to them.

Windy Militant
3rd Dec 2013, 14:00
That video would be much better if some one dubbed the Thunder Birds sound track on it! And if they made the drones look like little Thunderbird Twos that would be a really cool addition to the Geek o sphere. :8:ok:

rgbrock1
3rd Dec 2013, 15:41
And if you piss off Jeff Bezos, or anyone else at Amazon for that matter, then the drone delivers something a bit different for your ass.

http://i1.tribune.com.pk/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Drone11111111-133298-133842-640x480.jpg

"Gee dear, that doesn't look like the two sets of earrings I ordered for you from Amazon."

Windy Militant
3rd Dec 2013, 18:49
Isn't that the special 10 min delivery then? :\

ShyTorque
3rd Dec 2013, 19:32
Can they read my "post-it" note that says please leave my parcel in the greenhouse?

Capetonian
4th Dec 2013, 07:28
Amazon drones: nine ways it could go horribly wrong - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/amazon/10488104/Amazon-drones-nine-ways-it-could-go-horribly-wrong.html)

Entertaining!

TheChitterneFlyer
5th Dec 2013, 12:54
Amazon Drone Delivery In Development - AVweb flash Article (http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Amazon-Drone-Delivery-In-Development221065-1.html)

I wonder how a Drone Delivery System might work with kids and family pets playing in the same area as an incoming drone? Also, how will this system work if your front door opens directly onto the public pavement? Maybe we should have government funding for all houses to have a mini helipad next to the letter box!

TCF

Dak Man
5th Dec 2013, 13:13
Jeez Amazon are in the news a lot with this...................................I smell an advertising exec sized rat at work here.

Amazon drones - c'mon, seriously.

cattletruck
5th Dec 2013, 13:32
When I grow up I'm going to be rich because I'm going to become a UAV Pilot... wait for it... Prosecutor. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/evil.gif

The hacks (and to some extent even the professionals) are giving UAVs a bad rap by ignoring some of our fundamental existential imperatives.

Should your UAV, home built or otherwise, hit granny on her way to the market, or film sexy Linda sunbathing naked, or be caught stalking your ex-girlfirend, or just be a dangerous nuisance, then I should be able to make a nice little earner out of it.

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

funfly
5th Dec 2013, 17:50
US to Pakistan, Flight plans available.

TCAS FAN
5th Dec 2013, 18:21
It's not going to happen in the UK anytime soon, even with Amazon throwing all the millions in unpaid tax at it!

airship
5th Dec 2013, 19:24
Plausible FBI operative's response to one of Amazon's drones in NY City ca. 2014/5:

"Someone in the street shouted 'Drone overhead'. I witnessed 1st hand how a small group of 'shifty foreign-looking' individuals immediately dropped to the ground, 'covering their heads with their arms'. I'd already 'looked-up', identifying the drone as an Amazon one. Obviously, I immediately drew-out my weapon, arresting all the suspected 'foreign terrorists' on the spot. I've since been promoted, received the highest US medal/award in civil service from the hands of the US President, the suspected terrorists having been transferred to Guantanamo or wherever. Job done!" ;)

West Coast
5th Dec 2013, 21:17
I guess I better brush up on my skeet shooting skills. Great publicity stunt. I'll expect to see flying cars as the norm before legions of drones are buzzing overhead. Now if it were delivering adult libations...

Loose rivets
5th Dec 2013, 22:05
For some reason, I read that as, "Adult librarians." :hmm:

but generally there are "track-services" for packages

Scruggings. Sex unknown. Age Unknown. Shoe size Unknown. Location. Old Folks Rest home Sleepy Hollow Brighton. Your goods Present position: 52.3432233 0.3451345134 ETA 17:32:33 GMT
Failure to receive the goods within ETA + - 30 seconds will cause your credit card to be debited 300 pounds sterling. Your order will be destroyed for reasons of security. HAVE A NICE DAY.

West Coast
5th Dec 2013, 22:16
Librarians are a bit too frumpy for my liking.

Loose rivets
5th Dec 2013, 22:22
Takes all sorts. I like the way they shoooosh you.:p

Sallyann1234
5th Dec 2013, 22:42
I cannot believe how many people are taking this seriously :ugh:

Loose rivets
6th Dec 2013, 04:46
Well stop banging your head on a wall then.:p

rh200
6th Dec 2013, 05:21
It's getting close to Christmas and some marketing dude/dudess has had a slack year, and needs their bonus, mission accomplished.

Wouldn't be surprised if next year at some marketing brain storm of the year awards some dude/dudess who handles Amazons account gets it.

Fee press you couldn't pay for.

rgbrock1
6th Dec 2013, 14:22
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-B-gg6lUy1O0/UpzKiSShp7I/AAAAAAAAfIg/Nxj-EpS65lo/w426-h567/amazon-drone-delivery.jpg

fltlt
9th Dec 2013, 15:37
Another Problem for Amazon's Delivery Drones? Angry Birds - Nextgov.com (http://www.nextgov.com/emerging-tech/2013/12/another-problem-amazons-delivery-drones-angry-birds/75053/?oref=ng-skybox)

atpcliff
23rd Dec 2015, 05:26
They have been using 5 767s out of KILM for a few months. They want to fly all their own freight....up to 60 aircraft...their goal may be to be bigger FedEx/UPS. All 767 fleet for domestic ops.

Propilotworld has the most info so far.

Pace
15th Dec 2016, 00:02
First Amazon Prime Air drone delivery lands in UK - Evening Standard
https://apple.news/AX-8ozsTYTGSzQF_1xfLpNw

More things for us to see and avoid is this really a serious option ?
A few thousand if these things whizzing around the skies
Many will drop out of the sky onto whoever and whatever
I can see many claims for lost or broken cargo

RR22
15th Dec 2016, 00:17
Cheap publicity IMO

KelvinD
15th Dec 2016, 00:25
Have a look at how Amazon propose to organise these things:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/01/112715/download/Amazon_Determining_Safe_Access_with_a_Best-Equipped_Best-Served_Model_for_sUAS.pdf
Interesting that they should specify "beyond line of sight" while at the same time talking about vehicle to operator ratios of >1:1. The operator ratio implies there will be someone with a control "operating" the drone. How will that work beyond line of sight? HF? Doubt it.

RR22
15th Dec 2016, 02:44
They will be dropping 'Merch. onto crowds at sports events and the like,
But basically just very cost effective PR-BS.

IMO

meadowrun
15th Dec 2016, 08:01
I don't get Amazon. It's all Faster...faster....faster with them. From their workhouse warehouses to buying their own cargo airline, to the drones, to FedEx or whoever next day delivery (same day?).

and Drones...... How many problems are there going to be with making that workable? People stealing deliveries, crashes with injuries, yobs swatting them out of the sky, deliveries to apartments, commercial properties.......

Are we just getting a bit overboard with the instant gratification thing? I don't mind waiting a week or so for things. They are just "things".

SARF
15th Dec 2016, 16:44
It's their business model.. if they arnt innovating, buying, expanding , and increasing demand. they are doomed

GLIDER 90
17th May 2018, 12:32
With reading here & there about amazon hoping at some stage to bring in an aerial drone parcel service in the uk. I hope this never materializes as this would be a big headache for CAA, what will it be a big control room from somewhere in the UK, to deliver your parcel. Can just imagine hundreds of small drones zipping about the streets of the UK, dropping out of the sky onto someones head! a nightmare indeed. Understand the USA as being trialling these out to some point. ( What next !! )

Glider 90

ShotOne
17th May 2018, 16:41
How would you feel if trucks hadnít been invented yet and it was proposed to deliver packages using tens of thousands of multi-ton diesel-burning wheeled vehicles, producing toxic gas and which kill and maim thousands each year?

Gertrude the Wombat
17th May 2018, 20:53
what will it be a big control room from somewhere in the UK, to deliver your parcel
Nope - people is expensive.

Your order something online, the order is automatically passed to a drone, which flies round the warehouse, picks it up, and delivers it to you. All autonomous, untouched by human hand.