PDA

View Full Version : EZY demands BA slots @ Gatwick!!

swashplate
8th Oct 2001, 00:52
From BBC Ceefax:

"Budget airline Easyjet is demanding the right to takeover spare capacity at London Gatwick airport.

It wants to use slots left vacant by national carriers, such as BA, in the wake of the Terrorist attacks in the US.

Easyjet bosses will set out it's case to the European Commission on Monday. Go and Ryanair have made similar calls.

But BA wants current 'use it or lose it' rules on airport slots relaxed until passenger numbers pick up again."

Anyone any info??

The Guvnor
8th Oct 2001, 01:06
According to the Observer, the EU has ruled that airlines can hang onto their slots for a limited period of time.

Bit of a bu*ger really!

caulfield
8th Oct 2001, 15:13
Let them eat cake.

noax2grind
8th Oct 2001, 21:13
Isn`t it about time someone taught BA the lesson that there is not one rule for them and a different one for everyone else!
`as the dust settles` how about a level playing field?!!

OLNEY 1 BRAVO
9th Oct 2001, 15:28
There is an article in today's Financial Times which reports on the easyJet meeting with the EC in Brussels yesterday.

Seems that BA's stance is being backed by the Association of European Airlines which has called on the EC to relax the current slot rules due to "the exceptional circumstances facing airlines in the wake of 11th September terrorist attacks".

The EC will present a package of measures tomorrow to provide temporary support to the airlines and is expected to concede the principle of relaxing the "use it or lose it" slot regulation.

The FT says it has seen a draft EC paper that says that airlines should keep their rights to slots in the 2002 summer season irrespective of their use during the current season.

Reagan
9th Oct 2001, 16:01
Seems to me that the EU Commission needs to look at what's going on. If EZY, or any of the other low cost carriers, can operate a european route, in place of the majors, successfully then it should be allowed to do so - after all Europe is a level playing field. As far as slots for suspended North Atlantic fights are concerned, well that may be a different matter. These flights will have to be operated again as soon as possible for the sake of our industry. We don't want to shoot ourselves in the foot and go into self distruct mode like the Americans have done - crippling their own aviation industry because they are scared to fly!

BTB
9th Oct 2001, 19:05
Tried to book last minute last week to AGP. Had the choice of LTN or more conveniently BA from LHR. Quoted £65 by easyJet. £1495 (economy!) by BA LHR. You don`t need many pax at that price to make a profit. Then again of course, you won`t get many.

Harry Erman
9th Oct 2001, 19:14
Similarly to Edinburgh with BA at £500+. It makes you wonder if they actually want passengers at that price.

NOODY
10th Oct 2001, 02:26
btb + harry.

£1450 to agp! £500 to edi!

get a grip. if you want to advertise easy then buy some space in the sun. try, and i know it's hard, but keep your fantastic BA prices at least believable.

sorry if am a little touchy but fed up listening to the same old easy/ryan crap. Yes you are cheaper. well done. your service is not as good but hey thats why your cheaper. You pays your money you takes your chance.

Lets hope we've all got job's in 6 months!

BTB
10th Oct 2001, 02:42
Noddy, I`m sorry, but that was EXACTLY the price I was quoted on the net. I will endeavour to use my limited technoskills to reproduce it and paste it on this thread.

simbad3000
10th Oct 2001, 02:45
BTB: I Just had a play with the BA Website and couldn't make LHR to AGP go above £478.50 for economy class.

Cobbler
10th Oct 2001, 14:31
On the slots question, most of the slots being vacated at LGW are to allow BA to move flights to LHR, to replace trans-Atlantic frequencies.. so most of the empty slots are, in fact, intercontinental. And slots aren't allocated on a route-by-route basis anyway. Easyjet are also mouting off about wanting BA's Belfast slots at LHR.. BA are in fact using these slots themselves to fly to other destinations.

On the fares between London and Malaga... flying out today (earliest available flight) and back in one week (lates available flight) costs £320 on BA, £190 on EZY.

The same journey done a week later costs £210 on BA, and.. guess what.. £210 on EZY!!!

Anyone who suggest he was quoted £1500 for this trip, might I humbly suggest that (a) he was looking at first class prices, or (b) he was going via Melbourne.

CRP5
10th Oct 2001, 14:39
Parents came round last night to book for a trip to Nice, Easy jet for the Dates and TIME they wanted to fly £150 somthing. BA not on the net but on the phone £189 not bad considering if your flight gets cancelled BA will take responsibility for you and get you to your destination ASAP, Easy/Ryan etc, will tell you to book into your own hotel payed for by yourself, they will then offer to book you onto their next flight but hey theres only 2 seats left and there going to be an additional £90 ...... credit card please!!

PS yes BA pilot and yes willing to admit BA website CR@p for booking tickets!! :D

Engine overtemp
10th Oct 2001, 14:50
Obtained from BA's website this morning. (No it's not via Australia, and no I don't work for Easy!)

Total Price: £ 745.50
Passengers: 1 adult, 0 children, 0 infants

Outbound: Thu 11 October 2001 Gatwick (London) to Malaga
Flight: BA6988
Depart: 11 October 2001 19:00 LGW
Arrive: 11 October 2001 22:55 AGP

Inbound: Sun 14 October 2001 Malaga to Gatwick (London)
Flight: BA6987
Depart: 14 October 2001 22:10 AGP
Arrive: 14 October 2001 23:50 LGW
:confused:

CRP5
10th Oct 2001, 14:59
Have you tried the old fashion way and picked up the phone?? As I said before the BA website is CR@P.

Might help. :eek:

flypastpastfast
10th Oct 2001, 15:23
Can't believe the cr@p on this thread.

This constant carping by budget employees is nothing short of infantile. Constantly, threads are being generated as part of the puff from the respective marketing departments.

This country is currently fighting a war on terrorism. If you can grasp that concept, you will understand the reasons for the EU acting the way they do. The aviation industry is suffering on a global scale, and it benefits nobody but the terrorists to knock other airlines like this.

Stop knocking the industry, ALL of your livelihoods depend on it.

As regards quoting fares on this website, jeez, we're all in the industry and know how it works. To start quoting fares is just plain stupid, Doh!!

So easyjet is sometimes cheaper, what a surprise. What do you want, a medal!

the_vamp
10th Oct 2001, 15:41
Struggling to comprehend the fares quoted on AGP on this thread - the top whack full fare business class return is around £800 with BA... Obvious that the late availability high prices reflect that the flights are full and only business class left. Current lowest fares with BA to AGP are around £120 return inclusive - but these lowest fares often have to be booked 7 days in advance. Tried in vain to find a cheap flight to AGP on one of the low cost carriers and really struggled to find availability - fares often far higher than the national carriers.

swashplate
10th Oct 2001, 16:11
Hi flypastpastfast!

Just to let U know, I don't work for easyjet!

They may well have started some threads, but I just saw that report on ceefax and posted it coz I thought it was relevant!

As far as 'low cost vs full service' arguement goes, I got tickets for LTN-Zurich for £100 (weekend) on Easy. But had to book 1 months in advance, and of course was not relying on them to 'get me to meeting'. However, we did depart on time on the Sat morning. Just delayed 10 mins at hold for incoming aircraft - low vis procedures.
Coming back sunday, was directed to wrong gate :rolleyes: and we taxied about 10 mins late, but 40 min wait in takeoff queue!
Still, I suppose this could have happend on BA.

OK for leisure travel IMHO, but can't comment on how reliable they are for weekday 'buiness type' schedule flying.

StudentInDebt
10th Oct 2001, 19:51
Here's the price I was quoted using the above information and lowest Economy fare:

Total Price: £ 221.50
Passengers: 1 adult, 0 children, 0 infants Outbound: Thu 11 October 2001 Gatwick (London) to Malaga
Flight: BA6988
Depart: 11 October 2001 19:00 LGW
Arrive: 11 October 2001 22:55 AGP Inbound: Sun 14 October 2001 Malaga to Gatwick (London)
Flight: BA6987
Depart: 14 October 2001 22:10 AGP
Arrive: 14 October 2001 23:50 LGW

horse's mouth
10th Oct 2001, 20:24
Could I just point out that 'BA' flights from LHR and LGW to AGP are actually operated by franchisee GB Airways who do a nice job of turning a profit year after year so if this thread has developed into a BA should lower its prices arguement it rather misses the point! If GB can fill its aircraft to Malaga at higher fares, good luck to it.

Indiana Jones
11th Oct 2001, 01:18
If Sleazyjet.com are coming big time to LGW, then lets hope that Gatwick Airport Limited charge them the same airport rates and charges that the rest of us have to pay, and they dont squeal and squirm from paying for jet briges and the like. If they dont want a jet bridge then bus in, if they don't accept the charges we are all asked to pay, then go elsewhere. I can see a huge bun fight coming to Gatwick, between the schedules, charters and low cost,...should be fun over the next year or so, whats left of us.

swede-basher
11th Oct 2001, 02:01
Excuse me, I may be missing something re EZJ expanding at LGW, unless i'm very much mistaken the EU has ruled that airlines can hang on to the slots they have for the time being, even if they are not using them. I think that means no more slots for EZJ from the BA pool.

angrycat
11th Oct 2001, 02:13
At the risk of upsetting a few people. It is only a matter of time before easy pick up more slots. Airports make their money from the "herds" of passengers flowing through the terminals. Unused slots = a reduction in profits. I believe Gatwick were on the phone to easy enquiring whether they would be interested in using more slots should they become available.

squawk 6789
11th Oct 2001, 12:31
Swede, is this the same EU whose court of human rights say you can't land/ take-off at night? I'm glad they've found afriend in you. I think both rulings are utterly unbelievably atrocious! :mad: :mad:

FlapsOne
11th Oct 2001, 12:52
Indiana

EZ don't want to use Air Bridges.

It's much quicker to load/unload using both doors and bus the pax to/from the jet.

Less pax go walkabout then and a 20-30 min turnround is much easier.

dwlpl
11th Oct 2001, 23:10
As "angrycat" states, airlines that are not flying routes and allowing slots to lapse bring in NO INCOME (either from the pax or airline) for the airport involved.

So watchout for the airports to go hunting airlines who can and will.

The low-cost airlines will be the ones to fill-in the empty slots because the bigger/flag carrier ones are "downsizing".

[ 11 October 2001: Message edited by: dwlpl ]

NOODY
11th Oct 2001, 23:37
bravo....

good to see i'm not the only one fed up listening to easy/ryan propaganda.

Airlines trying to profit on the back of the 11 sept hijacks.....surley not!

MEVERTSGB
12th Oct 2001, 03:26
Credibility issue
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that business people might feel embarrassed travelling on easyjet ? Imagine travelling to Europe to close a major deal, only to be caught out arriving on easyjet, or worse arriving in an easyRentacar !!). Many business people spend more on a business lunch than what some folks pay for easyjet seats. As for Stelios’ car rental business, you can hire a real Mercedes for next to nothing. Impressive value for money ! Shame it has those cheesy orange easyAdverts stuck all over it. Get real !!!!

Slots
As regards the slot issue. If EZE wants to mix with the big boys at LHR, then perhaps they should take a gamble and service some ‘big boy’ routes, where 100% load factors are not so EZE to achieve.

… and finally
Easyjet is for people who simply cannot afford to fly and who would otherwise be travelling by train. This obviously explains why EZE cannot charge more than the rail companies. :D

MEVERTSGB
12th Oct 2001, 05:15
Ghost-rider

If your comments are anything to go by, you are probably all of 22 years old and still sitting in the r/h seat (if not selling sandwiches in the back). My personal issue is not with you or your fellow EZY aircrew, but the way in which your company’s PR department is seeking to take advantage of recent events. Anything for a cheap publicity stunt !!! Go for the slots, if you have to, but don’t go on about it !!! Nobody likes vultures !
:mad:

ghost-rider
12th Oct 2001, 05:49
I wish I was only 22 ! :rolleyes:

So why the personal insults towards EZY crews, insinuating they are 'not worthy' etc etc. The aviation pros like crews, ops etc don't have anything to do with the PR side FYI !

Nobody likes loudmouths ! :mad:

gul dukat
12th Oct 2001, 13:42
Charterguy ...If you travel EZY sureley you are demonstrating SOUND business acumen ..after all why pay BRAL £179 bhd-edi when you can pay EZY £70 BFS -EDI makes better sense for the beancounter!(and in these times it may be the only way for the smaller business guy to travel!) Secondly ..if EZY is only for people who "can't afford to fly " and would be taking the train.Lets you and I have a little race I will take the EZY to LPL LUT EDI AMS GLA ,from BFS ...you try taking a train !! first there has the beers bought to him !!
Take the point about the adverts on the MERC tho' :rolleyes:

Macman
13th Oct 2001, 00:59
Charterguy,

I fear you are missing the point here. Easy are not trying to take advantage of recent events. If the management see an opportunity they go after it - nothing wrong with that. The events of Sept 11th are not wholly responsible for the problems at BA/Swissair/Sabena etc. Runnng a business is bloody difficult - that's why I am happy to be paid a salary! :D

MEVERTSGB
13th Oct 2001, 02:29
Stabtrim

As I said, nothing wrong with going after slots, so long as its not used as a cheap publicity stunt.

EC1
13th Oct 2001, 03:37
charterguy
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 03 October 2001 01:37
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I am sorry to disagree with most of you guys (and gals). LHR is totally congested, to such a degree that night flying has become a necessity (for some). Apparently only 16 flights will be affected by this (Big Deal !!!). Perhaps it is now time to kiss Terminal 5 goodbye and consider the other airports around London such as Luton and Stansted. It's bad enough having to fly (as crew) between 2330 hrs and 0600 hrs. Why would passengers wish to fly at that time ? The only flights which will be seriously affected are long-haul flights from the Far East which arrive first thing (before 6 am). They will now all come in at 6am sharp and make ATC earn their keep. Most passengers are happy to fly between 0600 and 2300. Only greedy f**kers like Easyjet will need to operate at 'stupid o'clock' to make their silly 'pauper scheme' pay.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 10 | From: Humberside (HUY) U.K. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged charterguy
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 04 October 2001 00:39
Why is that f@ tw@ Stelios so obsessed with this route to Belfast ? What is he trying to prove ? He has one great advantage over BA, though. He can probably make this route pay, despite the high landing fees at LHR, by asking his easySh*t flight crews to clean the cabin and the toilets on the way out, thus saving the cost of cleaners. Could work, couldn't it ? Believe it or not, those muppets would do it as well otherwise they would have never passed these easySh*t psychometric tests !!!! I bet you guys wondered what these silly questions were all about !? Ever wondered why Stelios is overweight ? He regularly eats at McDonalds. For those of you who don't, it's a place where the restaurant manager is expected to sweep up fries and clean the toilets (to lead by example!). Now you know where Stelios got his marvellous ideas !!!
Posts: 10 | From: Humberside (HUY) U.K. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged charterguy
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 04 October 2001 23:58
I think we all ought to stop using the term easySh*t. Stelios might decide to branch out and market a new laxative !
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 11 October 2001 23:26
Credibility issue
Has anyone ever considered the possibility that business people might feel embarrassed travelling on easyjet ? Imagine travelling to Europe to close a major deal, only to be caught out arriving on easyjet, or worse arriving in an easyRentacar !!). Many business people spend more on a business lunch than what some folks pay for easyjet seats. As for Stelios’ car rental business, you can hire a real Mercedes for next to nothing. Impressive value for money ! Shame it has those cheesy orange easyAdverts stuck all over it. Get real !!!!
Slots
As regards the slot issue. If EZE wants to mix with the big boys at LHR, then perhaps they should take a gamble and service some ‘big boy’ routes, where 100% load factors are not so EZE to achieve.

… and finally
Easyjet is for people who simply cannot afford to fly and who would otherwise be travelling by train. This obviously explains why EZE cannot charge more than the rail companies.

Posts: 11 | From: Humberside (HUY) U.K. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged charterguy
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 12 October 2001 01:15
Ghost-rider
If your comments are anything to go by, you are probably all of 22 years old and still sitting in the r/h seat (if not selling sandwiches in the back). My personal issue is not with you or your fellow EZY aircrew, but the way in which your company’s PR department is seeking to take advantage of recent events. Anything for a cheap publicity stunt !!! Go for the slots, if you have to, but don’t go on about it !!! Nobody likes vultures !

Posts: 11 | From: Humberside (HUY) U.K. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged
charterguy
Just another number

Member # 42402
posted 12 October 2001 22:29
Stabtrim
As I said, nothing wrong with going after slots, so long as its not used as a cheap publicity stunt.

Posts: 11 | From: Humberside (HUY) U.K. | Registered: Oct 2001 | IP: Logged

You are a very angry little man. Why?
:D

Orangewing
13th Oct 2001, 03:50
...Because he can't get into easyJet!!!! :D :D

trev
13th Oct 2001, 04:52
charterguy

Get your head out of the sand. Value based airlines are here to stay because people want them and they fly on them. I have worked for eJ and don't know what your problem is, other than the fact that you feel threatened. Right now I work for a national carrier which effectively manipulates the local market to fund the full service operation. It is only a matter of time before a VBA will force another round of cost cutting, but we will never be able to compete. There are too many costs which cannot be dropped. Money = time; some pax have more time to conduct their journey and therefore save real money.

I concede that VBA's have the opportunity to pick the eyes out of a market and avoid unprofitable routes, but surely that is market forces at work? If a full service carrier persists with an unprofitable route it simply means that main trunk pax are subsidising that service. Why should they? Perhaps that destination would be better served by a 3rd level, higher frequency operation.

Back to the thread. It seems responsible for the EU to preserve the ability of trans-Atlantic carriers to rebuild their frequency to the USA over the next two years. But why offer protection on European routes if someone else can make money now? The airports won't make any money from empty slots and you might be surprised to find that most people would rather travel on a VBA than on the surface.

angrycat
13th Oct 2001, 11:42
EC1
A bit bitter and twisted are you?.
Failed to get job of choice ?.
You SAD,SAD individual

Ta Ta
;) :p :p

FlapsOne
13th Oct 2001, 12:37
Angrycat

I think you have misinterpreted EC1's posting.

They are all quotes from charterguy!

swashplate
13th Oct 2001, 14:26
Adopts scouse accent, dons shellsuit and frizzy wig... :eek:

ALL RIGHT.....ALL RIGHT.......

....CALM DOWN....CALM DOWN....

Back to Normal swash

Maybe we should have a special 'EZY demands BA slots @ Gatwick' PPRuNe bash in the OBOE, so that y'all can come along and slag each other face-to-face...?? :mad:

Sure Dubya could come down and record the sports.... :D :D

[ 13 October 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]