PDA

View Full Version : PPL(H) Flight school near London

1st Dec 2013, 18:54
My aim is just private flying.
I'd like to start visiting schools now, and probably take several trial lessons to see how the instructor is in flight, before starting the actual training.
The easiest airfields for me would be Denham, Fairoaks and Damyns Hall.
I don't like pilot factories, I need a training at my pace in a friendly environment. My plan is to fly for fun, I'm not planning to get a CPL.
I would fly on week days mainly.
I'm not looking for the cheapest, but for the most pleasant training, as I said, it's for fun that I want to do it.
I'd like an instructor who would have plenty of ground time to spend with me before and after each flight. That's the way I eventually started learning to fly fixed wings. I never could get anything from instructors who started the briefing while walking to the aircraft.

I don't think there are any helicopter school at Damyns Hall.
I found two schools in Denham and one in Fairoaks.

Any other school you would recommend?

paco
2nd Dec 2013, 05:18
Of the places you mention, for your requirements, HQ at Denham (Q Smith), or Heliair at Fairoaks (Gary Savage). Where is Damyns Hall? :)

If you stated your exact location, there might be other ideas.

Phil

2nd Dec 2013, 07:36
Thanks for your answer
Damyns Hall is a small unlicenced airfield within the M25, north of A13, not far from City Airport.
I live close to Vauxhall Bridge.

parasite drag
2nd Dec 2013, 08:55
It sounds like you might be suited to Dennis Kenyon, if he's still instructing, he'll give you one-to-one training on a full-ish time basis depending on weather etc.

PD

paco
2nd Dec 2013, 08:58
yes, agree with that one.

From Vauxhall Bridge you might want to look round the Biggin Hill area, possibly redhill

phil

heliboy999
2nd Dec 2013, 13:26
Try The Flight centre. They are starting training at Elstree very soon. They run outy of Southend Airport at the moment but are moving machines to Elstree at the moment.
HB999

VeeAny
2nd Dec 2013, 15:13
Try Nick at EBG at Redhill.
Or Giles at LHC at Redhill.

Both operate R22s and last time I checked H300 available at LHC.

Or go a bit further out and speak to Leon at Helicopter Services.

Gary

2nd Dec 2013, 20:28
Elstree, Biggin Hill, and Red Hill, are quite difficult to drive to from Vauxhall bridge. At least 1h30 of uncomfortable drive with traffic light every 1/4 mile.
Thank you anyway, I'll begin with Denham and Fairoaks

chopperchappie
3rd Dec 2013, 07:38
Hi

There are a couple of things I would say;

Firstly what aircraft do you want/need to learn in? I won't bore you with stuff that's been argued over on this forum many times, but the likely candidates are;

A) R22 (max 17st - bijou & compact!)
B) S300
C) R44

Secondly, choosing a school isn't the same as choosing an instructor, I started to learn to fly then my instructor got "indisposed" so I had to switch schools half way through. This was good and bad, it introduced a bit of confusion (as my records seemed to be a bit - erm, scarce) but it also exposed me to different critique / methods etc.

You are not going to get on with everyone and/or everyone's style, but if you learn best from having a longer pre-flight briefing then tell the guy that and explain your needs, that's what I did as I found that people generally didn't do extensive pre-flight briefings - especially at the early stages as learning to hover and transition really is about the "feel" of the helicopter. I didn't complete the PPL(A) but found the need to be briefed more applicable to fixed win at the early stages.

There's arguments for and against but I would say its better to have a "regular" instructor you get on with but learn with more than one instructor.

[EDIT] Bear in mind that if you go for someone that is outstanding but they are in demand you may find yourself sitting around for a week or two (or more) if the whole school isn't set up with multiple instructors - that are all good.

From my own experience I would want to be be very sure of the benefits before hanging my hat on an individual - due to the risks of them not being available. The benefits may well be worth it to learn with Dennis or Q.

We have a shared R44 based at HQ in Denham (pm me for more details if you want to learn in an R44) and we know HQ very well and I would say that HQ offer a good combination of several instructors that are good and Q that is outstanding.

Many people say that Q is best at "finishing" people's skills and I can personally testify to how Q can develop flying to another level. Learning to hover and get the basics I think it's more important to have someone you are comfortable with.

I would happily recommend learning at HQ but I would suggest getting the basics under control with James/Andy/Kim then fly with Q from time to time to sharpen up your skills. There are others at Denham that don't have the same homely feel.

Also consider what you are going to do after you pass, you are probably likely to fly from where you learn so think about the other services and attitude. See also hqtrips - they do very interesting flights to various places!

[EDIT] HQ have set up a programme of ongoing flying development to bring on our skills post-PPL(H). Apart from the comfortable relaxed atmosphere at HQ, they even have a designated person in charge of fun! That seems to be what you were looking for and right up your street.

Also remember the same person can't train you from 0 to PPL and test you.

BTW - although we use HQ I am really not biased - I also heard good things about Redhill but have no personal experience to comment on.

I do have personal experience of other training in and around London and whilst there's nothing specifically bad about them that I'd want to write here, your comments indicate you wouldn't enjoy their attitudes/methods !

CC

Exo.
3rd Dec 2013, 08:53
Thanks Gary,

Yes, if you fancy a trip further out to the south come and check out us (LHC/BIH) and EBG down at Redhill.

We've a trio of fulltime available experienced instructors and you're welcome to pop down and see how we operate, drop us a line on 01737 823 514.

Also, if you're wary of price, then the inc vat rates per hour (plus airfield charges) for the three above listed aircraft in the south east are approximately:

R22 - £330
S300/Cabri - £390
R44 - £500

Giles.

parasite drag
3rd Dec 2013, 09:00
"The benefits may well be worth it to learn with Dennis or Q."

As I said before, it may be worth contacting Dennis K. I 'think' he's living back down in Shoreham, West Sussex, so could train you one-to-one on full-ish time basis out of Shoreham Airport. (most likely in an S300)

His full time students would usually stay down there at a local B & B whilst undertaking their training, negating the need for excessive commuting, and you'd have plenty of time on the ground with him.

I believe Tim Price is also in that locale and he would be able to test you once you've finished training.

PD