PDA

View Full Version : Razor sharpening pyramids.

Pelikal
30th Nov 2013, 18:24
I was having a shave and being pissed of with the cost of blades, I found myself wondering whether a pyramid can indeed sharpen blades. It was decades ago:{ that I first read about this. Just wondering whether anyone here has tried it with any success and if they have any tips they can pass on.

While I'm at it, dare I mention X-ray specs. A fortune to be made.

gingernut
30th Nov 2013, 18:33
Aldi sell a pack of ten for about a quid, seem to keep ya'smooth.

sitigeltfel
30th Nov 2013, 18:53
I found myself wondering whether a pyramid can indeed sharpen blades.Short answer............bollox!

highflyer40
30th Nov 2013, 18:56
gingernut - do you mean disposibles? those things will kill you! I can only shave once a week with those otherwise I would die of blood loss!

500N
30th Nov 2013, 19:07
"do you mean disposibles? those things will kill you! I can only shave once a week with those otherwise I would die of blood loss!"

+ 1

Sometimes you just have to use them but they can be deadly.

tony draper
30th Nov 2013, 19:24
Tiz true, no one has ever found a blunt Mummy.
:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2013, 19:27
Sometimes you just have to use them but they can be deadly.

Specially if you're a delicate little flower with skin like silk....:}

500N
30th Nov 2013, 19:30
SRT

Never been accused of that :O :p

Ask Persia !

tony draper
30th Nov 2013, 19:34
I use the yellow Bic Disposables Razors,they are dirt cheap so use em once and hoy them away.
Saying that have come across some fake Bics recently,like shaving with a broken milk bottle, threw the whole packet away.
:uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2013, 19:40
Mr Nitro

If you spend enough time outdoors you should have a skin like mine, ie, like a rhino's scrotum, unless you *gasp* moisturise. Do pink tutus have pockets in which to keep your moisturiser?:}

goudie
30th Nov 2013, 19:46
I use W/sons Hydro3 blades. They seem expensive, approx 8quid for 4 but they give a very good shave and last for weeks, I've got a fairly tough set of whiskers too.
Remember reading somewhere that one should leave one's razor in line with the Earth's magnetic field to keep it sharp...another load of bollox...or is it?

gingernut
30th Nov 2013, 19:54
It's all about the sharpness of the blade, used to like the cheap swivel stuff, reckon, in the case of shaving, more is better :-)

500N
30th Nov 2013, 19:57
SRT
Yep, similar. I just found taking "good" razor blades / shavers "bush"
a total waste of time and ruined a good shaver 10 times faster, hence
using disposable. I just have to make sure i have a good soak first
first before shaving - or I just don't bother for a week at a time !

You will have to ask RGB re te Pink Tutus :O

Solid Rust Twotter
30th Nov 2013, 20:08
Is that wise? Wouldn't want him to get all excited and spill his glass of chardonnay.:}

500N
30th Nov 2013, 20:15
Is that what metro's and SNAG's drink now ?

RGB should be ashamed of himself, letting the team down bigtime :O

Hydromet
30th Nov 2013, 20:44
When I joined the army in 1966 I was issued with a razor & Gem blade.
It still works as well as it did when new.:*

goudie
30th Nov 2013, 21:00
A story appeared in the Readers Digest many years ago, regarding a young soldier who was in the Borneo jungle, during the Indonesian Confrontation. He used to write to various companies extolling the virtues of their products in the jungle. Invariably he was rewarded by a pack of samples, which saved him having to buy them. At one point he wrote to Gillette's and told them that he'd been using one of their blades for a whole year and it still gave him a good shave.
He received a reply with a note thanking him for his letter and also one razor blade. The note concluded by saying ''we have great pleasure in giving you a further year's supply!''

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2013, 21:15
When I joined the army in 1966 I was issued with a razor & Gem blade.
It still works as well as it did when new.

And it was second hand even then .... :}

Exactly how long is your beard after these past 47 years, btw? ;)

eastern wiseguy
30th Nov 2013, 21:23
Pelikal........if you believe that ole BALIX ( aviation reference sorry)....I have a bridge I can sell you...:)

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2013, 21:31
I've got one of those fuel magnet devices for my car. It works just as well on my diesel engined car as it did on my previous petrol engined one.

Mind you, it's been stuck to an old tenon saw hanging on a hook in the garage for years....

A A Gruntpuddock
30th Nov 2013, 21:59
First heard of that in the '70s, and from an engineering graduate of all people.

He used to make them out of folded cardboard (pyramids, not blades) and swore that they worked.

Tankertrashnav
30th Nov 2013, 22:09
I read about these pyramids back in the 70s in Supernature by Lyall Watson. I made one to the dimensions quoted and duly put my blunt Gillette blade in it.

Guess what? It didn't work! But then, as just about everything else in this book which appeared to have been written to cash in on the counter-culture of the time was total tosh, I wasn't surprised. Seem to remember reading about auras and similar tripe. In his chapter on the Bermuda triangle he made the amazing assertion that the area was the only place on earth where magnetic variation was zero which somehow explained all those lost aircraft and ships!

funfly
30th Nov 2013, 22:40
Razor blades are not blunted by the hairs they cut but by the rusting of the cutting edge. Keep your razors in oil to prolong their life.

Windy Militant
30th Nov 2013, 22:50
I made one to the dimensions quoted and duly put my blunt Gillette blade in it.

There's yer problem your supposed to put them in before they go blunt. Apparently the pyramids accelerate the flow of ions through the edge which keeps them sharp. Especially the stainless steel ones.
Honest guv, now how about this lovely bascule bridge one careful owner. :}

VFD
1st Dec 2013, 00:25
Razor blades are not blunted by the hairs they cut but by the rusting of the cutting edge. Keep your razors in oil to prolong their life.

The problem can be resolved with alcohol which is hydroscopic or simply shaking/wiping the moisture from the razor and putting on the counter where there is plenty of airflow until it is dry.

You are correct the oxidation of the edge is what dulls the blade, short of some other abuse, like dropping it on the floor or in the sink.

VFD

cattletruck
1st Dec 2013, 00:26
Gilette are now selling this 6 bladed monster disposable razor. 6 unsharp blades to do the job of 1 sharp one - now that's the pyramid effect.

I always bring back packets of these cheapo single bladed Bic Metal blades from southern Europe as they are considerably more sharper than the ones from Oz (or is that China) and last longer too. Granted our wimin are more hairier but they do come out looking like goddesses after a makeover.

onetrack
1st Dec 2013, 01:07
Aldi sell a pack of ten for about a quid, seem to keep ya'smooth.

Aldi are even selling Pyramids, nowadays? Is there no end to their range of goods?! :eek:

But isn't shaving with a Pyramid rather difficult? I have enough trouble now, just trying to get a razor into the creases. :(

500N
1st Dec 2013, 02:46
"Aldi are even selling Pyramids, nowadays? Is there no end to their range of goods?! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif"

No, no end as ALDI have taken category killing to a fine art.

Bring out something on special, wait 6 months or a year and
bring it out again. Pent up demand takes care of most of the
stock since word had spread. They never saturate the market.

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2013, 04:29
I made a sizable one back then and set numerous items and substances on a plinth in its centre. It was nothing short of miraculous.

After only a few hours, CocaCola could burn holes through diamonds.

Razor blades kept you clean shaven by looking at the reflection of them in the mirror.

Kettles boiled spontaneously and made wonderfully tasty tea . . . even if you forgot the leaves.

Broken watches started running and all set themselves to Gaza time.

Sleeping with one's head in the centre enabled one to speak French by noon the next day.

I made the one about razor blades up. (You didn't need a mirror.)

onetrack
1st Dec 2013, 06:26
LR - I only know one language - English - but I can speak 30 words of French, the instant I hit my thumb with a hammer!! :eek:

probes
1st Dec 2013, 11:07
ZZ Top - Sharp Dressed Man (Live In Texas) - YouTube

Pelikal
1st Dec 2013, 11:37
Hmmm... I dug out my old copy of Lyall Watsons book. It only works on a sharp blade. The idea I think is to encourage the growth of the single layer of crystals on the blade edge.

Anyhow, I bet those poor slaves who built those pyramids got pretty pissed off when they learned that they had to build yet another effing great razor sharpener. Reckon those Pharaoh types like shaved pussies.:oh:

Blacksheep
1st Dec 2013, 12:15
I use a Phillips Sensotouch cordless wet shaver. Haven't bought a blade in two years so the razor has paid for itself. To stay in touch with tradition I use my Dad's shaving mug and lather up with my trusty old Badger hair brush. The shaver doesn't fit under the pyramid.

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2013, 12:16

I've never bothered. At 2.95 for a pack of ten blades, it's cheaper to replace the blades than buy a can of oil.

Anyway, I've no need - I've got an oily smile ........... :}

tony draper
1st Dec 2013, 12:20
Of course one could always take up islam and save on razors.:rolleyes:

500N
1st Dec 2013, 12:30
"Reckon those Pharaoh types like shaved pussies.:oh:"

They must have also gone on a visit to Brazil then !

SawMan
1st Dec 2013, 12:36
The pyramids certainly do work as intended

The guy who proposed the ides got the laugh he intended to thinking about all the folks who would be doing this.

The publications covering this idea sold more copies when they printed the articles.

The people selling these 'magic pyramids' pre-made for your convenience made some extra money to spend.

Heck, it even works to cause threads like this appear out of nowhere to keep internet forums alive and vigorous!

Now that's really doing something special, isn't it? Shame that my razor is just as dull once removed from my pyramid in my living room as it was when it went under it the day before. Maybe I used the wrong type of material or didn't build it large enough? I'm off to the quarry for a few tons of granite to remedy this and will let you know the results when the surgeon is finished putting my body back together again afterward :p

airship
1st Dec 2013, 14:29
One has shaved every 2nd day only for at least the past 20 years or so. Otherwise, I'd nick myself regularly and/or suffer a rash from shaving everyday. Here are some points which might be useful:

1) I once used disposable razors, but have been using a GILETTE II razor and blades for the past 15 years or so. It's true that a 5 pack of replacement blades (still available) costs easily as much as any new "4 or 5 bladed razor pack". But each blade lasts me on average 4-6 weeks.

2) I switched from using "shaving foam" to "shaving gel". Less wastage, much more economical and smoother on the skin.

3) Finally, I cut of my balls (that was a joke - do eunuchs really produce less facial hair anyway)...?! Whatever, don't ever shave yer privates like yer face - the hairs just grow thicker and faster. Also, never resort to those feminine creams for same, they will burn you excruciatingly...?! I assure you that that was a result of a futile exercise conducted at least a decade ago, with the idea of making my 8" look even bigger without the bush camouflage surrounding it... :O

Pelikal
1st Dec 2013, 16:20
Hey Mr. SawMan, buggah off back to your cave.

Heck, it even works to cause threads like this appear out of nowhere to keep internet forums alive and vigorous!

No it didn't, I will grant you though it appeared through association perhaps. I bet you are the type who gets off on Harry Potter and little girlies dressed as witches riding on broomsticks and such like but denies that REAL magic does exist. May the curse of the Rhino Scrotum be upon you......

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2013, 18:00
I use my Dad's shaving mug and lather up with my trusty old Badger hair brush.

Reckon those Pharaoh types like shaved pussies.

Yes, but they would have required Beaver hair brushes.:p

highflyer40
1st Dec 2013, 18:13
like I said I can't even look at a disposible without needing a transfusion but surprisingly I only change my blades in my razor about once a year! I think it kind if pulls them out rather than cutting, but hey it works.

Metro man
2nd Dec 2013, 00:02
I bought one of these and it works, I can at least double the life of a cartridge.
Razor blade sharpener & Life Extending Razor Cleaner - Get RazorPit (http://www.razorpit.com)

http://www.markofagentleman.com/a_cimages/CN13059038147194.jpg

I also bought one of these

http://image.channeladvisor.de/129765/07cc3383330f5cd80cf31f2251a17eb8.jpg

Back in the old days of cut throat razor shaving, a true gentleman would have a set of seven razors, one for each day of the week to allow the steel to rest between uses.